Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Trying to decide, need help

Hi, looking used, 2014 or so between a Winnebago ERA and an Airstream Interstate, and Coachman Galleria. All sprinters on Mercedes chassis'. Is one brand better than the other or just a matter of taste? I like the 4 captain chairs for traveling with another couple.

Decisions, decisions not sure how to separate them.

Any comments are appreciated. Thank you!
mrfuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Some say the Air Stream is a quality outfit. We like our WGO and think the quality is good.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #3

I just went through this and the best advice I can give you is to go and look at them (and drive them!) and decide what matters most to you. On the one end is less money together with fewer features, on the other is "fully loaded" and a price tag to match. In theory that higher price tag also comes with higher quality, but I think you'd get a strong debate on both sides of that statement.

For me and my intended use, the Airstream made the most sense. One thing to consider is storage space, which is at a premium on these small rigs (there is no external storage on any of them). If you look at how the Winnie and Coachmen are designed, you will see they build right to the rear of the van. On the Airstream, they leave a good portion of the rear as storage. When you look at them in person, it looks like the Airstream has at least 2x more "trunk" space vs the others. I'm sure it's not quite that much, but it sure looks huge in comparison. You can fit folding bikes back there, camping gear, fishing gear, etc and not run out of space. If that isn't your thing, then maybe it doesn't matter as much, but for us it was a huge factor in the decision. Also, everything on the Airstream was "standard" like the Alcoa aluminum wheels, power window shades, upfit xenon headlights, driver aids like lane keeping assist (for windy conditions), etc. When I compared the price I paid vs what I would get with the other rigs and the cost to upfit them to match the Airstream, it actually came out about the same, so it made my decision pretty easy.

I hope some of that helps.

Best luck in your search.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:58 AM   #4

Thanks FlyFishinRVr, makes sense, maybe a low mileage used one will show up for sale.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

i wont add anything to this except please do your research on sprinter-source.com there is alot of info you need to know about the benz.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Airstream Interstate with the four captain chairs is a great unit for traveling with friend or family. We purchased the coach with twin beds and captain chairs. Took off the next day for a 5k trip with sister-in-law and husband. We had planned on staying in hotels all along. It is a great handling unit, great mileage and even better for traveling as the wives could back seat drive or lay in the bed and play computer game or Facebook. There is an area between the beds and the back doors for suite cases and such. Lots of overhead storage and some under the beds. Still you really have to plan what you need or maybe get a small utility trailer. Good luck with your search and decision.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:58 AM   #7

Thanks, stang37 I've looked at that coach. Nice but a little above my budget. Narrowing down my choices to The Winnebago ERA 70 X. Will probably be parked at The Hampton Inn more than The KOA campground

Tags
need help