Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

TV Antenna

Has anyone put one of the small "Jack" HD over the air antenna's by King Controls. I have a Roadtrek 2003 Versatile 200 on a Chev chassis. The built in does not work at all and would like to use OTA on occasion. My main concern is the almost 12 inches in height that it adds and can not be lowered. I am trying to think where it would be a problem. I used to have a class A and am not used to worry about height because height was always a problem and always a worry . It was nice for the last year to not have to worry about height.
If anyone has used this type of antenna I would appreciate any feedback of your experience.
I haven't figured out how to change my signature line yet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #2

My new 2014 MH has the King already mounted, but we did the retro on our last unit without any problems. When the mast was down there was nothing any higher than either of the roof airs. Good OTC and HD reception. Would suggest that you consider replacement of the cables and transformer on your rig if they are the original and it isn't too much of a hassle to do so to make sure you get the best signal strength. Good luck. Sorry, you gotta get up on the roof for this one.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #3

TV antenna

Which king model did you use? The one I was looking at did not have a mast that went up and down. Your solution loo a lot better. If you can find the model # it would help.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re the mast that goes up and down.. HEIGHT IS MIGHT, often even a little increase in height can make a big difference in signal strength.

Re: Jack. Jack is a medium range RV antenna with a fairly wide Arc of vision,,, Winegard Sensar IV is a longer range antenna with a sharper focus (narrower arc of vision) Both are the best, under different conditions.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #5

We used the upgrade kit from CW. It has all you need to make the swap. The Jack antenna bolts to the end of the existing mast in place of the batwing which you remove. You can still crank the mast up and down but you don't have to, still works great. It's not as nice as installing the whole new Jack system with all the little LED's but I did not want to open up the roof to remove all the batwing mast parts. I've seen others on the road now that have done the same mod. Best of luck and drive safe.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrprn View Post
We used the upgrade kit from CW. It has all you need to make the swap. The Jack antenna bolts to the end of the existing mast in place of the batwing which you remove. You can still crank the mast up and down but you don't have to, still works great. It's not as nice as installing the whole new Jack system with all the little LED's but I did not want to open up the roof to remove all the batwing mast parts. I've seen others on the road now that have done the same mod. Best of luck and drive safe.

This is what I did. It works quite well. I didn't have to get on the roof either. I just cranked the antenna down pointed to the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417730432.397994.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	706.0 KB
ID:	80508

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417730347.427713.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	801.3 KB
ID:	80507

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #7

I replaced the batwing antenna on a Newmar Mountainaire. It would not raise or lower so I took a piece of screen house 1" sq tubing, bolted two pieces together, mounted them on the original base. Owner could then rotate antenna but not raise and lower. He was quite old and tended to forget the original antenna was up. I made the entire setup to not stick up any higher than the top of the roof AC units. Worked great!!
Old 12-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the big arguments around here is Jack v/s Batwing.

The Batwing, with wingman and optionally the Sensar Pro indoor model is the best long range antenna made for RV use, however being LONG RANGE it has a very narrow field of vision...

THe JACK, is a good medium range, but has a wider field of vision.

I am more interested in LONG RANGE.

Fact: TV towers tend to "Cluster" on the highest point around (mountain tops if possible) so usually a narrow field is good,, However if you are too close to the mountain... It may not "See" all the towers.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

For my Xplorer3500, I bought a flat HD antenna and taped it to the inside of a back window. Tucked in all cables and it works well enough. Certain a rooftop would work better, but for the short periods of time I use the TV (over the air) it works for us.

Tags
antenna