Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Question Waiting on a cover

I am wondering if there are any tips for putting a cover on my 2010 Pleasure Way Excel? I am a 5 foot tall woman...in my 50's. That should be enough info I wondering if I can do this myself?
I ordered a cover thru Northern Tool, a 23' length model based on customer reviews (due to x-width).
Any advice is appreciated! i do have a ladder, and I am a bit handy too. But I am not a McGiever (sp?)!
I will be parking it outside and want to protect my investment in the nasty Wisconsin winter weather that is arriving soon

Thanks for any tips, tricks and advice!

Kimberli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Kimberli,

From what I have seen, read and heard about covers for RV's I wouldn't buy one. As far as you being able to put it on by yourself I won't say you can't but I would like to watch.

When I used to cover my boat the best covers might last a year before tearing but they were being taken off and on more often than an RV cover.

You also have to be very careful tying them down so they won't rub the paint and scratch it.

Good Luck,

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
I have a 2013 PW Excel and a cover from Goldline. I unfolded it the first time I put it on and re-folded the sides in first, then rolled the back and front towards the middle. The inside of the cover is on the outside of the rolled up bundle now. Toss it on the roof from a ladder and unroll back/front and pull down the sides. I also put a plastic storage box upside down over the antenna and have installed covers on the vent pipes (just in case). When you remove the cover, I just pull it off from one side (throw the straps over the top and pull from the other side) and fold/roll as above and shove into the canvas bag that came with mine.
Jcr5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Thanks for the great idea with folding! That sounds do-able.
I did not get the cover yet...possible snow next week. I hope it arrives soon!
I wish I was heading somewhere warm instead of parking my cottage-on-wheels!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
We use the same process. Makes it very easy for gravity to unfold the rascal each Fall. Do the side where your ladder is last (obviously). \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Kimberli, how did the cover install work out for you?
Jcr5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
I also own a PW Excel and I lay out the cover in front of the Motorhome on the ground, with the rear of cover resting up on the hood. Kinda push it together to were it's about 2' wide or so all laid out on the ground. I lean a ladder against the back of the Motorhome and throw a rope right down the middle towards the cover. I tie the rope around the cover on the end and climb ladder and pull gently and cover up on top to the back. I got a 1 1/2 diameter dowel about 6' long and hollowed out a 4" diameter kids foam ball and glued it to the rod. Now you can use that to position cover etc without ripping holes in it. When it's time to remove it I use use dowel to push the sides all up on top and go to front and gently pull it off and roll it it up on the ground. Using a 3/8 diameter rope makes it easier, you don't have to stand very high on the ladder but keep in mind while you are pulling and your attachment to the cover comes loose you will fall backwards if you aren't ready for that. Once you learn a correct knot it won't pull off. I've been doing it this way for years.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
One Woman Show

I did it! I used a ladder and a 6' piece of pvc I had in the garage. The directions said "Must be installed by 2 people, do not attempt with 1 person" Humpf! Obviously they do not know about this forum and the awesome advice to be had here!

1-unfold cover on ground, find front end
2-fold in sides
3-roll up front end to center, roll back end to center and fold, use the velcro straps to hold it together.
4-climb ladder on antenna side of camper (so I can keep an eye on it) and lift up bundle with velcro straps.
5- undo velcro and lay on camper top as far as I can reach making sure the font end is where it should be!
6- use pole to maneuver the bundle and unroll
7- slowly.... (if there was any wind this would not have been possible, windless day is required).
8- once sides were within reach I could walk around and pull it into place.
9- the straps were easy with the little "rock" back thing they give you.
10- Open bottle of Pino Noir and admire my McGiever-esque skills!

The hardest part was lifting it up the ladder and on the roof.... I might modify next year using a rope like mentioned above!

Thanks for all the help! Cheers!