Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #1

Was fuel economy a consideration?

You decided to purchase a Class B. They definitely sacrifice some interior space and are certainly more aerodynamic than either a Class A, Class C, Class B+ ( really a Class C, anyway...Class B+ is just a marketing gimmick) or 5th wheel.....( might as well be a sailboat).. .

So, what was your target MPG.. did you achieve it..?
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Just bought a 2019 Coachmen CrossFit. It’s a ford gasser 3.7 liter. So far just a few miles driven so no hard facts. Looks like 14-18 mpg. according to the info.
Our class A was a 33 ft gas. We got around 6 mpg., but I didn’t pay a lot of attention. I figured if I could afford a luxury like a motorhome I better not complain about the crappy mileage. It’ll be nice to get better mileage but again, whatever it gets is not a main concern. It handles well and my wife isn’t scared to death riding in this as opposed to the f53 class A. I don’t think it was my driving!!
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #3

To be honest, I didn't give it much thought at all.

We wanted certain things, which include being small enough to park almost anywhere, and the intended use was and still is basically as a travel van. No swoopy graphics, which is good for neighborhood acceptance (relatives far away in HOA areas, not my neighborhood). Small enough that DW can drive it comfortably. Not too many systems, as I just don't want to maintain and repair any more than necessary (one reason for getting out of big boats recently).

But fuel mileage? More is better, of course, but it had essentially no influence on our purchase decision. I'm am happy to see 18-19 mpg on the highway, but I'm even happier just to be driving our little beauty at all.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Gas mileage never entered into our choose of rigs. It’s all about the layout and if we can live in it when the weather turns bad for a week. For us a B is to small. She would not go down to 24’ from the 45’ we full timed in.

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #5

If you are looking for mileage you’re looking in the wrong place. I don’t like I get only 7-8 but that’s what it takes to move what I wanted down the road.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #6

Like others, we chose the size and features we wanted. 17-18 MPG was just a nice bonus.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post

So, what was your target MPG.. did you achieve it..?
Mileage wasn't a factor in the decision. That being said, we are at 17 mpg for 104k miles.

Mike & Pam
2014 Advanced RV Sprinter
Mikes47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #8

Thanks , but..... this was a Class B question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
Gas mileage never entered into our choose of rigs. It’s all about the layout and if we can live in it when the weather turns bad for a week. For us a B is to small. She would not go down to 24’ from the 45’ we full timed in.

Enjoy the journey
Yes, I understand that Class B's are very small....
I appreciate your candor, how large is your rig?

Large Class C or maybe a Class A??? It's all about choices, I get that.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
Yes, I understand that Class B's are very small....
I appreciate your candor, how large is your rig?

Large Class C or maybe a Class A??? It's all about choices, I get that.
Current rig is 32.5’ long. I wanted to do more dry camping with shorter rig. Her not so much. The class c was the compromise. Nice tank size and we did spend three out of ten weeks dry camping at Yellowstone.

Take care and in joy the RV life. Been doing it for 40 years plan on continuing till I die.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #10

I have a friend with a Class C, they like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
Current rig is 32.5’ long. I wanted to do more dry camping with shorter rig. Her not so much. The class c was the compromise. Nice tank size and we did spend three out of ten weeks dry camping at Yellowstone.

Take care and in joy the RV life. Been doing it for 40 years plan on continuing till I die.
Thanks, we're enjoying it when everything is working well... problem is, it doesn't always work out smoothly. There's more "drama" with an RV, haha.. . I tell people that RV sometimes stands for "ruined vacation".... stuff happens.....if you have been doing it for 40 years, you certainly know what I mean....

Tags
fuel