Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Was looking for Class C but now looking for Class B information

We are retiring this fall and want to travel. Would like to purchase a class C to take to disaster relief areas, including ice and snow emergencies in the northern states. Have never owned a class B or C before. May be living out of it for weeks at a time. Suggestions for relatively new but used RVs appreciated. Thank you for replying. Bruce and Elaine
mum2of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Depends on your budget to a point , but what about something like this:

http://www.tennesseerv.com/tennessee...e-Class-C.aspx
The four wheel drive may help in the snow and ice areas, otherwise a big class C like a Jayco Seneca or a thor four winds super C may give you a good blend of space, comfort on the road and good power. Good luck and kudos to both of you for dedicating your golden years to helping others
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #4

Just a thought. Having a 4X4 truck and towing a trailer may make more sense for what you want. The truck by itself would certainly be more useful when moving through a disaster area. The ability to easily throw cargo in the bed might be quite useful. A HD winch on the front may also be good for removing debris, downed trees, etc.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #5

I don't want to sound crass or ungrateful but I cannot figure out why one would try to go to a snow emergency area as emergency relief. The problem is closed roads and people stuck in place. Unless you can move snow big time there is little to do. More likely you will be prohibited from traveling there because the roads are closed as in blocked solid and not yet plowed. Once you can get there the emergency is over.

The major problem you will have with a "B", "C" or TT is that most units have exposed waste tanks that will freeze. If you confine yourselves to floods and other warmer weather emergencies you will also get milder weather that about any unit you get can handle. Then it comes down to storage capacity and room to do what you plan on. Most of the Ford based larger chassis C's will work. The diesel super C's have even more room and load capacity. The kind of help you will be providing will partly dictate what supplies you will need to haul. You will also want room for a significant clothes load as you will be in varying conditions so you will need cold and wet weather clothing. That dictates a lot of closet space. The more you can provide for yourselves the better for everyone. If I was setting something up for this kind of use I would be looking at a 30 ft+ C with a towed that would add capacity and give me a way to get around without the big box. Probably something 4WD with ground clearance but they are getting harder to get.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #6

I have a friend who does a lot of that kind of work with The Salvation Army, he has a RoadTrek B unit he uses.

He tells me that they are forbidden from staying in motorhomes or trailers at temps even approaching the freezing point for safety reasons. They are concerned with the liability if there was problems with hypothermia, CO poisoning, etc., etc. besides, they likely want the volunteers well-rested not dragging their backsides around from lack of sleep.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:26 AM   #7

Whatever you get make sure it has an Arctic package and when traveling in the cold I had a motor home with a separate bedroom area and a catalytic heater with a 20 foot quick disconnect hose so one room could be heated at a time.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have decided to not purchase a class C motor home. Thank you to all who gave us your opinion. Bruce and I are now considering a class B. I like the B plus(+) but wonder if those traveling to see the country find parking in towns to be a problem? We have family in Dallas/Fort Worth and San Diego. What has your experience been?
Old 03-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
B or B plus (+)?

We hope to be purchasing our first class B! Phoenix Cruiser has a Euro chair (in the 2400 and 2910D) with foot rest and recliner but it is a B+/C and is not secured to the floor. We found sprinter van seats on line made for travel vans. Has any one found a similar seat and had it installed in their van? We want to leave the rear sleeping area made up.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't know if it makes a difference,I have a class A motor home. I just purchased a recliner from Flex steel and it has a large footprint base that does no secure to floor.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2. We have a Chinook RV B/B+ that includes heated tanks, good insulation and an engine block heater. Most have them standard. Ours is a 2005 Concourse, the last year of production and is 21 feet in length. This allows it readily fit in most parking spots. The fresh water tank is located inside the rig. That said, there can still be freezing risks with the shower drain and bathroom faucet on these units as they are exposed. Folks have addressed this with insulation or heat tape options. You will see advice on this site elsewhere on how folks cope with cold weather. I belong to a group who has owners that regularly use these down to 20 degrees or so with water on board but I've been more conservative and have the lines purged in the winter anyway. There are 4x4 versions of these rigs, known as the Baja model but they are hard to find. Mine has a 4" suspension lift and all terrain tires (include the snowflake symbol) on it already. They play well in the snow. They come standard with limited slip differentials and antilock brakes. Here are a few photos of our example.
One chapter ends, another begins

Here are some comments from an owner using them in the winter.
Chinook Concourse : Chinook Concourse Winter Driving

If you're ambitious, there are companies that will upgrade these rigs to 4x4 if you are so inclined. This is one near us that does them: 4x4 Camper Vans and 4x4 Motor Homes - By QuadVan

For me, 4x4 is more of something for bragging rights that, while I would love to have it, I don't see needing due to how these handle in the snow.

We specifically chose the Chinook due to the quality of construction, reputation, good insulation, including thermopane windows, and the perfect size for us. The true fiberglass & insulated sides (built like a boat) assures that there isn't risk of condensation forming inside the walls like is possible in many B+ rigs that have the 1/8" fiberglass + block foam + luan plywood glued sandwich.

There are other good rigs out there as well. I'm just sharing my example.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:54 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #14

The only difference between a B+ and C is the front bunk. In my mind that is storage you lose by going to a B+. A "B" will downsize you to a basic van body so not much room. Some people love them but I find them very tight.

If the people you want to visit live in places with adequate parking something can usually be arranged to park at their house for a few days. Longer if they are not "in town". If they are in any kind of tight parking like a Condo complex you will be stuck with whatever you can find for a campground.

FWIW you seem to have a problem with deciding what you want. The best thing you can do is look for an older low cost model in reasonable shape with a floor plan you think you like. Buy in and drive it for a year and pass it on to the next learner. Until you have driven and lived in a MH for a while nothing we tell you will really make sense. It's like reading about how to ride a bicycle.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote