Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #1

Waste hose storage

I'm not sure if this is the right place or not but where we go.

How do you guys deal with storing your waste hoses? I figure draining black first is better. but with my setup, I have to actually swap the hose from black to grey manually due to the design and exhaust pipe location.

I plan to get one of those adapters where you can hook on a hose to clean the hose/pipe. I have an old dirty RV water hose I'll dedicate to that of course.. not my clean one for fresh water.

But what about storing the dirty set hoses? My van lacks a vented bumper storage compartment for a hose. It does have one cargo compartment but it's directly under the bed. I don't really want to have to store my dirty sewer hoses under the bed. It has a sheet plywood separating the compartment from the living space, plus the mattress of course. That's it. No insulation or anything. Plus it's not vented.

I do have a utility trailer I'm gonna be pulling behind my motorhome so I guess I can just toss the hoses into a cheap plastic storage box with some vent holes drilled in the sides... but that's only good for when I have the trailer with me... long stop overs I have planned like Quartzsite, i will be dropping the trailer (a good coupler lock and chains through the wheels for security) and driving the van to go dump the waste.

I'm just a bit lost on what to do then. I assume the original concept was to store your hoses in the compartment under the bed but that seems like a bad idea to me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #2

Might I suggest a length of 4" pvc with fittings to seal each end? You might be able to mount one or two to your rear bumper or crossways under the coach behind rear axle.

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #3

Yes, that has slightly occurred to me... it can't to above the rear bumper unless it's easily removable.. the generator access door is in the way.

There's almost no room UNDER the van due to the fuel tank, dropped floor, grey water tank, driveshaft, exhaust pipe, etc.

Maybe I can figure out something behind the rear axle without getting in the way of the generator's exhaust pipe and oil drain access hole, or covering up the vent areas for the generator.

4" might not be large enough to keep the fittings on the ends of the hoses. I don't want to have to pull them off every darn time. I need to measure a hose grabber fitting and see how wide it is.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Check out the posts that I have done and you will find a post for a sewer hose storage system that I have built that is very easy to use and allows you to store the hose and all the attachments. I don't know of you have room to attach it to your motorhome, but if so you will find that it work great.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Found it. The problem is, stuff is really crammed in under my van. And where it's not, stuff is in the way, especially around the rear. There's sub frame in the way partly, and the long generator exhaust pipe that is excessively long in my opinion. It could have been directed out the back instead of the back corner but anyhow, I don't care to mess with changing that.

The only place that might work is behind the rear bumper but I have an EZ hitch system (photo below) so I can easily hitch up the trailer myself without risk of damage to the van. The big metal plate IS removed when not in use but putting a 4" pipe there might get in the way of it... I'd have to measure to see. Plus it would be bad if the van had to be towed from the rear for some reason, I'd have to stop and remove the hose holder.

(not my actual setup, just showing the EZ hitch system I have)

I guess I'm going to stick to the plan of using an old style (crappy) semi vented Rubbermaid Action packer for hose storage. I won't store anything else in the box but sewer hoses and such.. so I won't care about germs in it. It'll be stored on the open air trailer so there won't be any odors in the living space. I may get some end caps for the hoses so at least it controls some of the liquid left inside so the box doesn't hold dirty water.

I do want to get one of those Camco drain hose cleaners:
Camco 39072 RV Dual Flush RV Holding Tank Rinser : Amazon.com : Automotive

It would be useful for keeping the hoses cleaner, especially since I have to move the hose from black to grey. It would allow me to do so without unhooking a nasty hose. I can rinse it good at the dump station with the adapter then swap it over to the grey outlet.

I am going to be full timing in this Class B so yeah, I need to have all the right tools to be able to keep up the everyday maintenance on it. When at RV parks, I will keep the grey water hooked up full time with the drain valve open so I don't even have to keep draining it.

In regards to black, I'd have to go out daily and swap the hose over (or rig up a way to link the two but never have both valves open at once so it doesn't contaminate the grey water tank) so I don't even have to undo the hose when I'm parked for a month or longer someplace unless I want to move the van.

I have a 125cc scooter (80+mpg) for a daily driver which is a major reason for having the utility trailer.

The black water valve is inside at the toilet. It has one of these:
Electra Magic Model 80 RV
Albiet, a very old one... but it appears the design has not had almost no changes since the 70's.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Im just thinking here, I don't know if this will work on not. How about installing the 4" PVC pipe on the running board or even under the running board. I realize it would be visible but it would be out of the way also.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

In my old 5er we installed a length of 4 inch PVC in the storage compartment that ran downhill to a hole I cut in the siding. I then installed a sewer door with a lock to access the PVC from outside the coach. It worked great and stored all my hose and drained out of the door to the outside. In the current 5er it already had a 4 inch PVC pipe with a door. The problem is that its only 3 feet long.I cut off the back cap and bought a coupler and extended the pipe under the 5er . It worked great but it didn't run downhill so it always was wet and smelly. To alleviate the smell I drilled about 20 holes in the pipe. It all worked after that and the pipe is dry.
Paul R. Haller
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #8

Well, a 4" pipe won't fit the end fittings. It would take 5" and that doesn't exist. It might create ground clearance issues if I try putting it under the running board. On top of it would look like crap.

Maybe i can just rig a way to hang the box for the hoses from the spare tire carrier or something when I'm not pulling the trailer. The hitch is fixed on it, not a receiver tube type, so i can't use a hitch mounted carrier.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have room in my basement storage for my sewer hoses, but regardless of where I store them ALL my hoses have and caps on them for storage. I have never "cleaned" them other than by running gray water through after black.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I have room in my basement storage for my sewer hoses, but regardless of where I store them ALL my hoses have and caps on them for storage. I have never "cleaned" them other than by running gray water through after black.
Yes, that's my thought too... caps on the ends for storage but it would be best if they are allowed to dry inside before they are sealed up.

There is one other storage compartment but it's got the two 20lb propane tanks in it. It IS well ventilated though and has space for the hoses, so I might just have to store the hoses in there. If it's a little unsanitary in there it won't hurt much. I recently painted the inside with good Rustoleum primer and paint and it has a huge opening for ventilation at the bottom back wall so it can actually be washed and hosed out if need be. The large vent area not visible, it's just below the visible area on the left side, about two inches tall by about 15 inches wide. The compartment door also has a small amount of louvers in it too for ventilation.

One of these might also be useful:

Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #11

A 4 inch plastic pipe will work if you buy the kind that have one end belled out so the next one fits inside without needing a coupling. The hose fitting just fits into the belled end. I don't have any caps on it, just some screws on the down side and a section of wire on the belled end. I used one of these to store my long sewer hose because the built in "pipe" in the MH was too short. Mine is mouted over top of my gen set but you may be able to find some room elswhere on your van. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #12

Hmm well the issue with that is.. how would i seal the end so the hose doesn't fall out?

Gonna try the propane storage compartment I guess. Like is said, if it gets dirty, it can be washed and hosed out no problem. The walls and and bottom are all painted metal so a little water won't hurt it much as it would if it was wood.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #13

You may want to consider the "Sewer Solution"

Sewer Solution

This works really well and is easy to store in a small canvas bag and it cleans the hose after use from the water hose that is attached. I have used one for a long time and replaced my stinky slinky and its stores in a small space. Just a thought.

Don
Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #14

That system looks to be little more than a reinforced garden hose and a few attachments. I got a garden hose attachment cap for the grey water but that would take a while to drain. I purposely made it 3 inch all the way out from the grey water since that was the outlet size so draining won't take very long on that 22 gallon tank.

I have cheap sewer hoses right now (one shorter, one longer) but they're not rotten so I'll use them until such time they look like they're about to go bad, then I'll go with some of the Camco RhinoFlex ones.

Tags
storage