Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #15

Congrats!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
I was looking at the Unity's as well (specifically the Twin Bed). They are very nice, very well built, but you asked THE question that is the fly in the chardonnay with LTVs. Their CCC is very low, with some configs being as low as 500lbs! I couldn't legally have myself, my wife, my daughter, and our two dogs in the RV, let alone any cargo, food, water, etc. (and we're not big people...our dogs are big though at 120lbs and 80lbs). I was shocked, and the sales guys know that is their weak spot.

The Class C's built on the same Sprinter 3500 chassis are a bit better off (Winnebago has something like 1000lbs of CC depending on floor plan), but they have to cut corners on materials in order to keep the house as light as possible.

The B's built on the Sprinter have the least issue (my Airstream has 1900lbs of CCC), but they also have the least space (and storage). I plan on mainly boondocking with mine, so CCC was a big concern for me as I always want to be rolling with full propane, full fuel, and to save some weight fill the water as close to the destination as possible. The various storage tanks aren't very large, so they need to be full to get a few days of "living" out of them with a family of 3.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear because like you, I REALLY liked the LTVs, but it is what it is......
Thanks for the information... CCC is a major concern... we plan on boondocking as well and with limited tank sizes we really only have a few days without leaving to refuel... not a happy camper!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndas View Post
Thanks for the information... CCC is a major concern... we plan on boondocking as well and with limited tank sizes we really only have a few days without leaving to refuel... not a happy camper!
The OCCC of the vehicle has to be listed on the yellow sticker which is pasted in the unit somewhere. Find that and you'll have your answer. It might be OK, but I think you're doing the right thing by asking BEFORE you buy. Otherwise you could end up in a real kerfuffle like what went on earlier this year with Newmar class A's.....

Best luck in your search.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #18

We are in the exact same position as you all. We want something small but not too small and must have a BR and Dry Bath. Quality is important. With the prices they are charging we don't want to buy something that will not hold up or we will have to trade. We have never owned a MH before and want this to be one and done!

JR
Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorvette View Post
We are in the exact same position as you all. We want something small but not too small and must have a BR and Dry Bath. Quality is important. With the prices they are charging we don't want to buy something that will not hold up or we will have to trade. We have never owned a MH before and want this to be one and done!

JR
The dry bath requirement pretty much puts you into a B+/C if you're looking for something new. I'm unaware of any new B's w/ a dry bath. Once you cross that bridge, the sky is the limit (B+, C, A, travel trailer, 5th wheel, super C....).

With just the two of you, if you want a really nice B+, personally I think Leisure Travel makes an excellent unit, and I've heard Pleasure Way is another good B+ unit although I've never laid eyes on the latter. The Leisure Travel unit I spent a bit of time in was a Serenity, and it seemed to be on par with Airstream wrt build quality (i.e. excellent). Everything else seemed a big step down.

Best thing to do is start driving around to places that carry a few of the more well-known brands and spend some time in them. Don't let the sales guys push you, and shoo them away if they get bothersome. Spend time as if you're camping in it. Sit in the seats "driving", sit on the couch relaxing, sit at the table "eating", pretend to shower, etc. You will quickly narrow down your choices based on what's tolerable to you in the fit/finish/features departments.

I don't know what your buying time frame is, but if you can wait until winter when they have the big RV shows, that may be your best bet. Drive to one location one time and see 'em all. That's how I started my search and it really helped. If you do this, I highly recommend you video EVERYTHING and put in lots of audio commentary. After a few hours and stepping into your 50th RV, they will all start to run together, so being able to review things at a nice slow pace later is gold IMO. I referred back to my videos numerous times to confirm this or check on that. And I just used my smart phone to do the video. Nothing fancy, just something to document what each one was as I went in, record what I felt were the important points on the rig inside and out, and of course get a shot of the price.

Best luck in your search.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #20

There is one B that we have seen, the Winnebago ERA70C that has a dry bath. It's not a bad RV. I'd prefer a bit more living space. We've been in the Isata 3 from Dynamax, but I've not been able to get the curb weight. Each time I've asked the sales gal has changed the topic or answered a different question. I'm purely guessing, but it must be an issue. We like the Leisure Travel with the slide. The Pleasure Way does not have a slide, but still a nice RV.

I'm now on the hunt to understand how much weight the slide adds to a 25' RV. A 25' size RV in theory seems perfect. The slide seems perfect to add living space, but what really happens to our available cargo weight?
ANY CURRENT owners out there how have a 25' RV... HOW much stuff can you take with full fuel, water, tanks etc?
Is there a weight difference in gas or diesel engines?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #21

The CCC of each coach is unique even on the same truck chassis. It all depends on the build weight. A slide will definitely add weight to the vehicle. That is the price you pay to add the interior space. When I looked at the LTV last year at the Pomona Show the head sales guy from LTV told me after two passengers of avg. weight and full water tanks that you should have about 600 lbs left. From my standpoint that was not very much CCC. The LtV is a well made and designed MH> The Pleasure Way is shorter by nearly two feet because that don't use the longer MB chassis. They therefore have less interior space but more CCC.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats and enjoy.......
Old 08-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can tell you for sure you got a very nice coach. We purchased a 2016 Interstate with the twin beds and two captains chairs. We took a 5K trip the very next day with the wife's sister and husband. We did have to sleep in hotels, but the experience of traveling in an Airstream was most pleasurable. It drove like a dream, got great mileage and was the talk at every stop. However it just didn't have the room that I needed when we camped. Traded up to a 40' Newmar and still very happy. Good luck in your travels
Old 08-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
I can tell you for sure you got a very nice coach. We purchased a 2016 Interstate with the twin beds and two captains chairs. We took a 5K trip the very next day with the wife's sister and husband. We did have to sleep in hotels, but the experience of traveling in an Airstream was most pleasurable. It drove like a dream, got great mileage and was the talk at every stop. However it just didn't have the room that I needed when we camped. Traded up to a 40' Newmar and still very happy. Good luck in your travels
Thanks!

Congrats on your Newmar! I looked at those as I was going through my "process" and they seem to be very well made. I hope you have many miles of smiles with it.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndas View Post
There is one B that we have seen, the Winnebago ERA70C that has a dry bath. It's not a bad RV. I'd prefer a bit more living space. We've been in the Isata 3 from Dynamax, but I've not been able to get the curb weight. Each time I've asked the sales gal has changed the topic or answered a different question. I'm purely guessing, but it must be an issue. We like the Leisure Travel with the slide. The Pleasure Way does not have a slide, but still a nice RV.

I'm now on the hunt to understand how much weight the slide adds to a 25' RV. A 25' size RV in theory seems perfect. The slide seems perfect to add living space, but what really happens to our available cargo weight?
ANY CURRENT owners out there how have a 25' RV... HOW much stuff can you take with full fuel, water, tanks etc?
Is there a weight difference in gas or diesel engines?
Yes, the 70C has drybath with separate shower and toilet. Larger fresh water/grey/black tanks.

I have not had it on the scales yet, but GVWR is 11,030
FR/RR 4,410/7,720 GCWR is 15,250 (500/5000 tow hitch)
Old 08-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #26

I would guess that the GVW has some wiggle room and is conservative!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #27

Smile So . . . . how is it now that you have had it for a few weeks

You picked the Airstream and said the Era was too small. We are two 2 legged humans and two 4 legged humans who only weigh 5lbs each. I'm curious if your only issue with the Era was that it was too small. We liked the Era interior and are thinking about buying it. Looking for any other feedback you might share about the Era. We are excited but don't want to rush in if others saw major issues. Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovinon View Post
You picked the Airstream and said the Era was too small. We are two 2 legged humans and two 4 legged humans who only weigh 5lbs each. I'm curious if your only issue with the Era was that it was too small. We liked the Era interior and are thinking about buying it. Looking for any other feedback you might share about the Era. We are excited but don't want to rush in if others saw major issues. Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.
Just picked up a new 2017 ERA 70X which works for just my wife and I. Drove home from the dealer, interstate about 100 miles doing 65 mph and registered 16 mpg. Hoping that improves after the engine breaks in. Drives nice but I like others question the quality in the inside.

Haven't camped you so can't comment on all the components. Lots of rattling noise while driving, got to hang out in the back while she drives to figure where it's coming from. Opened a draw and it fell out and the hinges were laying on the floor. Yes poor workmanship.

Unfortunately I'm afraid when I take it back to the dealer for the first oil change I'll have a long list of warrantee work from the shoddy workmanship. Disappointing with the price we paid to get a lack of quality on the inside.