Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #43

I picked up a used Onan 2.8 today.

I think it was on this forum that I was given the lead for a Onan on Craigs List. Initially they were asking for $1400 but I was able to get it for $800.

As a bonus it was in a Pawn Shop and I spoke to the owner and he verified that the generator fired right up and carried a load with no problem.

I'll take it back home tomorrow and hopefully it will be installed on Wednesday.

Also an update on the transmission. I took it to a reliable shop near the house because it started shifting hard. Sure enough there was trans fluid all over the undercarriage. They dropped the pan and everything looked great! That is the good news.

The bad news is that they had to replace some seals and while they were at it I had them put in a heavy duty torque converter. So they are rebuilding the front half of the transmission and beefing it up a little.

With the money that I saved finding a different RV mechanic I'm still close to on budget.

So far I've...

Put on a new set of 10 ply commercial tires. $640
Put in a new Dometic A/C unit, new insides for it and a heat strip. $800
Got a walk around with a qualified mechanic, serviced the furnance (replace a circuit panel) replaced a shower faucet and pulled the old Onan. $200
Bought a used Onan that had just had the windings done and a tune up. $800
Had the transmission serviced and a heavy duty converter installed. $1200

I'll work on the engine tune up myself and hopefully I will be ready to hit the road in late June heading to Colorado and hopefully Alaska.

Thanks for all your advice and good wishes,

Rick

TopsBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #44

Our Trailite has the back door. I have seen them with a side door and a 26 foot version with a rear bedroom ( hindsight tells my wife we should have bought that one!). We are thinking of replacing some of the carpet at the rear outside the bathroom and in the kitchen area with vinyl because it cleans more easily than the stock carpet. Any thoughts?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #45

I drove mine to work today for some exercise. (75 mile round trip)
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROONORTH
Our Trailite has the back door. I have seen them with a side door and a 26 foot version with a rear bedroom ( hindsight tells my wife we should have bought that one!). We are thinking of replacing some of the carpet at the rear outside the bathroom and in the kitchen area with vinyl because it cleans more easily than the stock carpet. Any thoughts?

We had a bad toilet leak and we are replacing the flooring with a wood prego floor
Look good and easy to clean just came back from our first trip after two year
Bought ours in 2010 came back from a two mount trip it work better than
I expected did lots of renovations to make the coach suitable for our
Needs
Thank for the reply
Ron
Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #47

Ron, when you installed the pergo did you leave it loose and use the foam like a home installation? I was thinking of that product but wasn't sure if it wouldn't travel around because of the vibration. I guess they call it 'floating floor' for a reason!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROONORTH
Ron, when you installed the pergo did you leave it loose and use the foam like a home installation? I was thinking of that product but wasn't sure if it wouldn't travel around because of the vibration. I guess they call it 'floating floor' for a reason!
I have not installed it yet just came back from a long trip. But have installed it on my Monaco dynasty and a trek and a BC cruiser it worked very well
Yes I used the pad first and the floor close to the wall it is i interlocking in a small Area it can't go any where
I think you will be happy with that appreciation .
Good luck
Ron
Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #49

Yesterday, I aired it out and put the windshield sun screen cover on. Sometimes I tend to forget to put it on upon arriving home.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #50

Added some things for road trip next week....all I need to do yet is fill the frig and where set to go.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #51

Two days ago, I washed the Class B and waxed the passenger side (following the sun). Yesterday, I waxed the front, back and drivers side. I still need to do the roof.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #52

I got ambitious. I went to WallyWorld and bought six quarts of oil and a good filtre the other day so that I could change the engine oil in the rig for our first trip of the year. I rolled out the work mat, got down on my back, wriggled about six feet under the engine compartment took a long look at the filtre way up under the engine and said to myself . .. .. . .. "Ah to heck with it!"

Goes in to the garage tomorrow where they own a nice hydraulic lift.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #53

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROONORTH View Post
I got ambitious. I went to WallyWorld and bought six quarts of oil and a good filtre the other day so that I could change the engine oil in the rig for our first trip of the year. I rolled out the work mat, got down on my back, wriggled about six feet under the engine compartment took a long look at the filtre way up under the engine and said to myself . .. .. . .. "Ah to heck with it!"

You sound exactly like me. Sometimes you have to let the pro's do it. It will cost extra money but will be less stress on you in the long run.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROONORTH View Post

Make sure to tell them to squeeze a bit of grease in the zerks as well. Today, many cars have sealed front suspension joints and do not need to be serviced but most B's still are built on small truck chassis and still need to be greased.
diepenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #55

On Easter Sunday, my pickup truck got stranded in the garage due to the door spring breaking. I drove the Class B to dinner in town then drove it to work the next day. Probably about 80 miles all together to get some excercise.

The spring on the garage door was replaced on Monday. Parts and labor were $134. I thought for sure it would be 200 bucks.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #56

My mechanic buddy recommended that we install a shift kit to help keep the transmission from overheating and burning out when we start dragging a car around behind us. So, I have decided to try out a 'performance tuned' computer upgrade to see if we can improve the mileage and general performance. The cost of the new computer is less than the shift kit and it provides modifications to the fuel injection system too. I will keep you posted after I get it installed, next week.