Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #57

Drove it to work and then had lunch in my van.
Lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #58

Had the 'performance tuned' computer installed a couple of days ago. It was a job that I could have done myself if my hands just weren't so big! I couldn't quite get them into the area where the old computer lived but apparently my mechanic friend has smaller hands because the job took about 15 minutes.

There is a period of time required while the new computer 'learns' about the new vehicle and that requires some driving around. I have only been able to drive it home so far but the initial impression is that the shifts are firmer and first through second gears seems to be more 'aggressive'. Before it seemed a little like the engine was working to breath as though the air filtre was restricting the air flow. Now the engine runs like that restriction has been removed.

I can't report any improvement in mileage but then I have only driven it about ten miles. The mileage will be more clear later in May when we go on our first trip of the year. If it can give us an increase of 2 MPG ( reports on the internet claim anywhere from two to eight MPG) it will be paid for by the end of the season and I will essentially end up with my shift kit for free!

Stay tuned. In this time of $5 / gal ( up here in the Great White North!) any improvement in mileage will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #59

A few days ago, I helped a friend replace the steering gear on his 1994 Roadtrek (Dodge chassis). The RT has 220,000 miles and get lots of TLC from its owner so it is in amazing condition. The steering wheel had an inch or so of play so Phil decided it was time to tackle the repair.

The local Dodge dealer wanted $800 to make the repair; an independant shop would do it for $700 but Phil has done lots of reairs and decided the do it himself so he checked into the part and decided to order a Redhead steering gear - I think he said the cost was about $250. The only difficulty was removing the pitman arm. Phil rented a pitman arm puller from a local parts store but it was stubburn. We heated it with a small propane torch but it wouldn't budge so Phil did a little internet research and found others had been successful by using the puller along with some whacks with a big hammer. That worked and the rest of the job was as simple as unbolting to old unit and installing the new. I think the whole job took about four hours.

I thought I would post this just as a reminder that many jobs that might seem too difficult to tackle might be done ourselves. The internet is a great reference to find other do-it-yourselfers and helped in the case. The reward was the accomplishment of doing his own repair and [of course] the $500 savings.
diepenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROONORTH
Ron, when you installed the pergo did you leave it loose and use the foam like a home installation? I was thinking of that product but wasn't sure if it wouldn't travel around because of the vibration. I guess they call it 'floating floor' for a reason!
Troonorth
I Finally install the pergo floor install tight to wall with pad under
The only problem was the Ref had to. Take bottom
panel off other then that went great.
Hope this help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3373147521.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	20996
Bris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #61

Looks like a great job - just like home!!
Unfortunately, my Wife saw the picture.
I feel a sudden project coming on . . .... . . . . .
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #62

Replaced the drawer slides on my rear house battery. Replacing them was easy but it took me a while to find the proper replacements. FYI if there are any RT owners with the newer Chevy body style, look for Accuride 2632 slides.
diepenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #63

Cranking up my 2000 watt generator to get ready for dry camping on Saturday (friends private land). First time I had started this year (2 cranks). It had sea foam it all winter. This generator has enough power for my 7100 BTU air conditioner.

Sportsman GEN154 2000 Watt 80cc Portable Generator
2000 Watt Generators from Sportsman | The Home Depot - Model#: GEN154

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #64

Back in April, I had my Air Conditioner recharged and had dye ran through it so the shop could trace leak(s). Last week, the dash AC quit cooling. I took it in so they could trace the dye and it turns out I need a new compresser and hoses etc. I am having everything replaced on Tuesday for $680. The van is over 20 years old. An investment but I got the Class B at a great price via an estate sale so this money being put in is not so big of a hit. Gotta have air condtioning while traveling.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #65

The last two Sundays, I have taken it on a 70 mile round trip for exercise.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #66

Send a message via MSN to Dakado
Saturday was spent flushing out the antifreeze and having a wash. Got to do some detai cleaning and get the roof cleaned up. Has anyone ever stood on top of a Pleasureway, or is it better to not do that?
Dakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #67

started what is going to be a long drawn out project bought a 1984 high top class b going to gut the interior and rebuild and install new engine and trans figure about 18 months if all goes well still have my class c so can still enjoy rving
priced new one way out of my range, priced used everything had way to may miles for price so this my alternative, if i figured properly for less then 10,000 dollars i can have a completely rebuilt rig time will tell
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #68

Send a message via MSN to Dakado
We live on Vancouver Island British Columbia, and took a day trip up island about 300 km and decided to stay the night at Cluxewe campground just above Port McNeil, beautiful spot right on the water, $23.00 /night with electric and water, not bad at all. Already booked to go back the last week in May.
Dakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #69

Hi Timblin I am looking into down sizing and like to get a Libero with diesel engine. Any advices?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #70

Cruised from Monterey California to Cambria and camped out in the rustic but beautiful campground there.
Slapchop is offline   Reply With Quote