Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

What percentage of people sell for fair market value?

A friend of mine who is trying to sell his 2007 RV is not getting any offers and a dealership recently told me that the real value is only 50 percent of the low book on NADA....

SO, even though I know there's many RV'S on the RV Trader or some other venue, how difficult is it to find a buyer who is willing to pay a fair price and get a good value ????

I don't think you have to sell your vehicle at 50 cents on the dollar to get rid of it... that's ridiculous....
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
A friend of mine who is trying to sell his 2007 RV is not getting any offers and a dealership recently told me that the real value is only 50 percent of the low book on NADA....
The value of the unit is twofold, what he values it at, and what he can get someone else to pay/give him for it. That's it.

Quote:
SO, even though I know there's many RV'S on the RV Trader or some other venue, how difficult is it to find a buyer who is willing to pay a fair price and get a good value ????
Difficulty depends on how much he values it at (asking price), and how patient he can be to wait for the right buyer to come along and give him soemething close to it.

Quote:
I don't think you have to sell your vehicle at 50 cents on the dollar to get rid of it... that's ridiculous....
It is what it is. Doesn't matter how we think something should work.
If he just wants to "get rid of it", he'll have to take whatever accomplishes that.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:39 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
IMHO blanket statements like "dealership recently told me that the real value is only 50 percent of the low book on NADA...." are usually worth the money you paid for them.

Last summer I sold my '08 Canyon Star in between NADA low retail and high retail. Maybe I'm the exception...
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:17 AM   #4

I've sold two travel trailers above low retail. However, the first took 18 months to find the right buyer and the second about 6 months. It's difficult to be patient.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #5

Fair Market Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Ragu View Post
I've sold two travel trailers above low retail. However, the first took 18 months to find the right buyer and the second about 6 months. It's difficult to be patient.
However it sounds like you got fair market value because you had a meeting of the minds of the buyer and seller.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #6

Fair market value is a matter of what someone is willing to pay. If there are ten similar rvs for sale, and all are asking 20 percent less, then unless your rv has something special about it, it is priced 20 percent too high. What a dealer will give you isn't much of a yardstick as to what an actual value is. They are in business to make money, and have overhead to pay for out of the actual sale price. They really cant pay much more than 50 percent of the value, or it wouldn't be worth their time to deal with it. They have buildings, employees, lot space to pay for, as well as the salesmen time, and service bays to prep the sale. Selling privately will always get more money, but that entails having to list it somewhere, and meet with potential buyers. This can be frustrating, as there are a lot of tire kickers out there. It can also be somewhat dangerous in the wrong situation. On the other hand, some sellers think because they owe x number of dollars for the rv, then that is what it should be worth. It doesn't work that way. I have seen rvs listed for 20 - 30 percent higher than what similar rvs are going for. This is not realistic. A search of similar rvs will show what they are listing for. Sites like PPL that show previous sale prices are helpful to determine what someone actually paid. I have bought two 37 ft rvs at roughly half the market value. It took me years to find them, and Im always in the market for my next rv. I prefer to buy at half price, then sell them after a few years for the same amount I paid for them. If a seller wants to hold out for top dollar, they must also be willing to wait for the right buyer. I may take years as well. The one who loses, buying or selling, is the one who is in a hurry.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Call your bank and ask for the loan value on the RV. This is a starting point with a 20% down payment.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
....Last summer I sold my '08 Canyon Star in between NADA low retail and high retail. Maybe I'm the exception...

How did you find high retail?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What is your "friend" trying to sell. I've been looking myself and would gladly give my two cents about the ad/price.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #10

Not sure what the price is now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
What is your "friend" trying to sell. I've been looking myself and would gladly give my two cents about the ad/price.
My friend told me that he was looking for $52,000 a while ago.... maybe in the last 6 or 8 months.....so, maybe it's lower....

He has a 2007 Roadtrek 210 on the Chevy Express platform.....
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:38 AM   #11

Quote:
My friend told me that he was looking for $52,000 a while ago.... maybe in the last 6 or 8 months.....so, maybe it's lower....

He has a 2007 Roadtrek 210 on the Chevy Express platform.....
Try $36,000 and get some lookers.
Take best offer.

Thats real value.

Or
Keep it and let it depreciate 6 percent or so a year off the 34 to 36 thousand dollar amount.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:55 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I initially listed a fifth wheel for what I thought was a fair price and got no responses. The price was lowered and there was a small interest. After the second lowering I am regularly getting interest calls and a handful of people have come to look. The potential buyers will tell you what your price is and you get to decide what you will take. Patience will most likely increase your price and the convenience of selling quickly will lower it. Very rarely will anything be worth what the seller thinks it is.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:36 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
7 months ago i bought my unit for below nada low, on older units banks do not want to finance and not many people cash in hand when talking about 40-60k.

when i was looking i found dealer (la mesa & lazy days) to be crazy they went as far as to tell me i would not find anything worth getting.

i looked at rv trader most people there had already tried to sell at consignment shops with no luck. but to be fair they were asking mid -high nada.

i got mine from craigslist and found the most people selling quickly and at fair market.

even with the repairs i have had to do along the road the past 7 month we are still below nada.

buying or selling it is how i would due it
Old 11-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Try $36,000 and get some lookers.
Take best offer.

That's real value.

Or
Keep it and let it depreciate 6 percent or so a year off the 34 to 36 thousand dollar amount.

$36,000 is the average NADA retail. If he thinks it's over $50K, no wonder the dealer's offer seems low. Low retail is just over $30K, their offer would probably have been about 90% of that at most.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2007/...3046764/Values

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, sell