Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

What to buy?

Two retired adults. Use will be traveling but not staying in the coach all the time as we will stay at motels now and then. May be some short term camping 3 to 5 days max. Must have features would be a separate BR with comfy bed / Dry Bath / LR with comfy seating (not dinette type seating) entertainment TVs / Fair size Refrig.

We want something that is reliable and with a good reputation for such. We have been viewing (online only) the Phoenix Cruiser and the NeXus line up. Both seem better then the mass produced Thor and WB lines.

Open to suggestions and recommendations!

Thanks in advance.

JR & Chris
jrcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Take a look at these...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471050119.470474.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	135766
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471050132.151068.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	135767
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #3

Interesting to see The Evergreen Imperial mentioned. When I first saw that one online I thought what a great looking RV. The problem I ran into in doing the research was limited availability with only a few dealers stocking them, deeply discounted. Further I tried to call the company and nobody answered the phone. So now the warning bells went off to look elsewhere.

Like you I fit a similar profile and considering the Airstream Interstate, along with similar models from Winnebago and Coachman. The Sprinter on The Mercedes diesel chassis seems best for me.
mrfuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I know Laara on these boards has an rv for sale.

Also, there are many more pictures on rvtrader.com here:

2009 Dynamax Corp Isata 250, Grand Junction CO - - RVtrader.com
kerryvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfuni View Post
Interesting to see The Evergreen Imperial mentioned. When I first saw that one online I thought what a great looking RV. The problem I ran into in doing the research was limited availability with only a few dealers stocking them, deeply discounted. Further I tried to call the company and nobody answered the phone. So now the warning bells went off to look elsewhere.

Like you I fit a similar profile and considering the Airstream Interstate, along with similar models from Winnebago and Coachman. The Sprinter on The Mercedes diesel chassis seems best for me.
I agree. I have no idea what they were posting or why? I think I want something with a slide-out which takes the Airstream off the table.

I am trying to figure out what the "payback" cost is for a Mercedes Sprinter diesel. When you add the additional purchase price plus the increased cost of fuel and blue deff I don't think you gain enough unless you are driving a lot of miles per year. Diesel fuel is always more costly than gas. I really do not know what the true fuel milage is on a 24-27 gas vs diesel but I am guessing 10-12 vs 15-16.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
I am trying to figure out what the "payback" cost is for a Mercedes Sprinter diesel. When you add the additional purchase price plus the increased cost of fuel and blue deff I don't think you gain enough unless you are driving a lot of miles per year. Diesel fuel is always more costly than gas. I really do not know what the true fuel milage is on a 24-27 gas vs diesel but I am guessing 10-12 vs 15-16.
You'll likely find that there is no "payback" on the extra cost for a Sprinter based class B.

Resale will be higher, fuel mileage should be a little higher (we get about 17 mpg in our Roadtrek) but diesel is not significantly cheaper than gas to make up the up front cost difference.

One thing to note is depending on what part of the country you're in the difference in diesel vs gas can be significant. Some places it's cheaper, some more expensive.

As far as the cost of DEF, I've added a gallon ($4.00) in the 4000 miles we've had the van.

The main advantage of the Sprinter is the torque the engine produces gets you over the mountains and speeds you down the long boring interstates (when you have to do that sort of thing) without straining the engine. It's also rated to tow up to 7000 lbs (depending on cargo load) so if I choose I can take our Jeep or a boat with us.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 08-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #7

Stay a way from Keystone products.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

Any feed back on Leisure Travel Vans? They look really nice.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorvette View Post
Any feed back on Leisure Travel Vans? They look really nice.

See my reply to your post in the 'Well I went and did it' thread. [emoji3]