Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #1

Which B still offers three way fridge ?

Folks, Propane is my friend. I’ve used three-way fridges in three RVs over 18 years. I’m looking to get a class B like a Travato or similar and REALLY want a three-way fridge. Which brands/ models still offer three-way ? With all due respect, I don’t want to start a thread about three-way vs. all the new compressor fridges that will run for 100 years off of a flashlight battery. Just want to find a B with a three-way. Thanks !!
TomKlingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKlingler View Post
Folks, Propane is my friend. I’ve used three-way fridges in three RVs over 18 years. I’m looking to get a class B like a Travato or similar and REALLY want a three-way fridge. Which brands/ models still offer three-way ? With all due respect, I don’t want to start a thread about three-way vs. all the new compressor fridges that will run for 100 years off of a flashlight battery. Just want to find a B with a three-way. Thanks !!

TomKlinger
My 2016 Winnebago Era has a Dometic, 3, way fridge. The switch is Not automatic. When disconnecting from shore or gen set 120v AC to gas I,have to manually fire up the propane burner with the piezoelectric starter. It is a fairly large capacity for a class B and has a small freezer compartment.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #3

Pleasure-Way.

That was on my list of must haves.
3 way fridge
Propane stove
No slides
Generator

A few I looked at were excluded because of no 3 way and no propane stove.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
Pleasure-Way.

That was on my list of must haves.
3 way fridge
Propane stove
No slides
Generator

A few I looked at were excluded because of no 3 way and no propane stove.

My Era has a two burner propane stove and a propane generator. It has a huge propane tank, as well.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

I agree 100 percent. I will not consider an RV that does not have a refrigerator that operates on gas and 120V. The only ones I have found are Pleasure Way, LTV (Leisure), and Regency RV. I suspect those who believe an all electric RV is acceptable haven't done much boondocking.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #6

I'd give up my 3 way in a heartbeat. Between the poor cooling and constant icing over, I'm done. I boondock all the time and my lithium batteries can easily handle the load of a super efficient compressor fridge. Unfortunately, I have a slimline Dometic and nothing else fits in that slot.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo11111 View Post
I'd give up my 3 way in a heartbeat. Between the poor cooling and constant icing over, I'm done. I boondock all the time and my lithium batteries can easily handle the load of a super efficient compressor fridge. Unfortunately, I have a slimline Dometic and nothing else fits in that slot.

Do you ever stay 3 or 4 weeks at one location without starting the generator or engine while running a TV all day? I do with a 300 watt solar electric system and someday will probably downsize from Class A to a B or C. It will be about driving comfort. So far I am fairly comfortable with the class A. I probably won't consider changing until the models I would be interested in have the 7 speed Mercedes transmission.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #8

We rarely stay any place for more than a week or two. I have 200W solar and 200ah lithium. Will probably add a third panel, but don't have room for more batteries. Here's the math. My 5 cuft three way Dometic pulls 1.5ah on propane. The master propane on/off solenoid pulls 1ah (this is ridiculous, it should only pull .3ah, but it's too hard for me to fix). A good 4.5 cuft compressor fridge pulls between 2.6 - 2.8 ah. I'm saving at most 10ah/day with a propane fridge, but I'm also burning propane. To me, have a compressor fridge is a no brainier. Cold food, no icing over, no outside vents and I wouldn't be running the generator any more than I do now. I'm in a Class B, so maybe this doesn't scale as well with bigger rigs/fridges, but the battery packs coming out in Class B's now have 3-4 times the capacity I have making 3-way fridges unnecessary.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #9

Well I don't have your issues with my propane system. My amps draw from it is close to zero. My 23" TV draws about 3 amps and if the sun is not shining it will slowly draw my batteries down. I have 4 AGM batteries for a total of 440 amp hours capacity. My voltage seldom gets below 12.5 volts. I have been in campgrounds which will not allow you to run a generator.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #10

You can't run your generator, but you can run your engine. ;-)
Old 05-17-2019, 04:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I thought it was not a good idea to idle a Diesel engine for a long period of time.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #12

That's why I have a gas engine. And, depends on who you talk to about idling a diesel now and then...
Old 06-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #13

My 1997 Pleasure Way STW still has the original Dometic RM-2310 3-way refrigerator that works just fine with each setting. Not sure I could do without a 3 way either now that I've experienced the benefits.
festrvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, offer