Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The OP posed a question about reliability, that pertains to all sizes of RV, from pop-up to Class A.

What's your point??
What's my point ? The OP : " Hello- newbie here. I'm starting to explore the world of class B motor homes for me and the wife to have fun in. I've been looking at info on a bunch of them, but am concerned about the reliability and build quality of the various models. It seems that there are plenty of complaints to go around. So Which make/model would be the most reliable and have the best build quality?"

The OP is asking about exploring the world of class B motor homes in a class B forum. Do I really have to point out posts in this thread that contribute nothing to the OP's query.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Orange View Post
Thx for your reply. I actually bought a new Paseo as well. Very happy with it. Have already put a few thousand miles on it. Our "toad" is a '04 Wrangler and pulling that we average 14 mpg. But by itself, on a flat roadway at a steady 60 mph, the pic below tells the story.

Wow, impressed that you have the weight capacity to pull a toad, how much available cargo capacity do you have without the toad. Do the B+/C models based on this chassis have similar cargo/hauling capability?

Old 09-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
Wow, impressed that you have the weight capacity to pull a toad, how much available cargo capacity do you have without the toad. Do the B+/C models based on this chassis have similar cargo/hauling capability?
The gas engine in this Transit chassis produces 400 lb/ft of torque which is considerable and the tow rating is 5,000 lbs. My '04 Wrangler is a basic model that weighs in at around 3100 lbs. You don't really notice it back there at all. It is only my wife and I and our little Boston Terrier and it's size works well for us. The Jeep has no back seat, so when I'm pulling that I put some gear (camp chairs, dining fly, etc.) in the back of it. If not taking the toad I have a small cargo carrier that slips into the trailer hitch receiver for taking those few extra items along. There is also an included roof rack that could take a cargo carrier, but we haven't found the need for that yet. We don't really camp per se, but rather we like traveling around the country sightseeing. The PASEO includes a pretty nice bike rack and we always take our bikes along.

I know Winnebago makes a class C version (FUSE 23A) based on the Transit chassis and it has a diesel engine. As far as power, the gas engine in the PASEO actually makes 50 more lb/ft of torque (which is really what matters in an RV) than the diesel version. We considered the FUSE because it has slightly more room inside but a drawback (and this is only my personal opinion) for me was that its' generator is LP instead of gas and I know someone who owns one and he's sort of disappointed because of the amount of propane he uses to run the gen-set. This aspect may not matter to everyone though as some folks don't use their gen-set all that much and that diesel engine power output may suit them fine.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
There is no such thing as a "trouble free rv". That is a non-sequiter. The only difference is the degree of problems.

Cheers!
Very true. The perception of the problem's severity changes with experience and luck. I was always fixing drawers, doors, plumbing, sealent; but when I had suspension and tire issues I went to the pros. Had a 30ft class c and similar sized class A, both with Ford F53 chassis and V10 Triton, and never ever had the slightest problem with the powertrain, and we drive and camp the mountain west and deserts. So my recommendation is general: buy Ford power if you want gas; all RV brands will have stupid crap go wrong with their part of the rig (though our National Sea Breeze was remarkably free of the dumbest things, but then they went under in 2008). Went to an RV show in Phoenix and toured the pushers, A's and C's. Pushers worth more than our house had trim falling off, backsplashes unattached, closet doors jammed. So did the others, but I was surprised with quarter million $ rigs with such poor craftsmanship. Used might be less buggie, but check them over with a magnifying glass and strong flashlight.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #33

For those with a class B, and 6'3" or taller, can you fit OK?

Is their room for your feet to stick out over the end of the bed? Often I sleep with my arms folded over my head, hence use a full 80" long standard queen sized (60" x 80") bed when sleeping.

I like the Paseo 48P for layout and should fit our needs:

bathroom for SWMBO
bed that allows quick naps when I need it.
Double Rear Doors -- with room to transport sheets of plywood (4'x8') or Baltic Birch (5' x 5').

Maximum would be a two week road trip, otherwise weekend Habitat for Humanity work projects (hence a place to nap and a quick shower and be able to stay on site for a few days).

By the time I price out a Ford Transit High Roof ($45,000) and figure out a custom built interior ($25,000) it's too close to the Paseo 48P. $90,000 year end pricing.

I love building things, but usually my FOURTH project looks great. SWMBO is not amused with me taking four years for a "one year project". Then again I would get a 80" long bed in there!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #34

A Must read article about RV production:

RV Travel Newsletter Issue 814 – RV Travel
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walter View Post
For those with a class B, and 6'3" or taller, can you fit OK?

Is their room for your feet to stick out over the end of the bed? Often I sleep with my arms folded over my head, hence use a full 80" long standard queen sized (60" x 80") bed when sleeping.

I like the Paseo 48P for layout and should fit our needs:

bathroom for SWMBO
bed that allows quick naps when I need it.
Double Rear Doors -- with room to transport sheets of plywood (4'x8') or Baltic Birch (5' x 5').

Maximum would be a two week road trip, otherwise weekend Habitat for Humanity work projects (hence a place to nap and a quick shower and be able to stay on site for a few days).

By the time I price out a Ford Transit High Roof ($45,000) and figure out a custom built interior ($25,000) it's too close to the Paseo 48P. $90,000 year end pricing.

I love building things, but usually my FOURTH project looks great. SWMBO is not amused with me taking four years for a "one year project". Then again I would get a 80" long bed in there!
At the same Pomona show, I saw the Crossfit on a Transit. HOMERUN!!
It's in the Dillon display.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've seen that "RV" stands for "Really Valuable" but I think it stands for "Radically Variable" quality-wise.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Hello- newbie here. I'm starting to explore the world of class B motor homes for me and the wife to have fun in. I've been looking at info on a bunch of them, but am concerned about the reliability and build quality of the various models. It seems that there are plenty of complaints to go around.

So Which make/model would be the most reliable and have the best build quality?
One reliability issue I recently heard was someone who drove a Ford Transit diesel in a work model says they are terrible, that he frequently was stranded and had to call his office for a tow to the mechanics. My experience with Ford Triton V10 gas (F53 chassis) is they are the opposite: as close to 100% reliable as possible. We're in the mountains, had a 30 ft.class C and a 31 ft. class A and they never overheated on the steepest grades, towing our '01 Wrangler, and never broke down in any other way (except for a flat tire, obviously not Ford's fault). So that's my concern with downsizing to a Transit or Sprinter: do they break down a lot? Can they tow my Jeep up mountain grades? (and brake safely on the downside? The F53 chassis came with a tow/haul in the transmission which is awesome). And breaking down in the sparsely populated west can be even more of a problem: is there going to be a mechanic who can work on a Mercedes (what is it, a V6 Turbo?) diesel on Colorado's west slope, or southern Utah? Or for that matter the Ford diesel?
Old 10-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
I bought a ford transit diesel cargo van last winter and have driven it through out New England . It has been trouble free,gets great milage and is serviceable at any Ford dealership
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reliability of diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
I bought a ford transit diesel cargo van last winter and have driven it through out New England . It has been trouble free,gets great milage and is serviceable at any Ford dealership
Thanks!
Would you or anyone know if Ford has made substantial changes to that engine in the last few years? I've said before that I trust the Triton V10 totally, but these are smaller vehicles that must need smaller engines to remain small, and I want to be reassured that the reliability is there. There are lots more Ford repairmen out there than Mercedes, of course.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
The diesel in the Transit is I believe made in South Africa and has been used in Europe for a while however when it is used in the American market it has emission addons that can be problematic. For more about the Transit check out the Ford Transit Forum Ford Transit USA Forum. Just a FYI there is a recall on the drive coupling on the Transit chassis 2015-2017 check the vin before you buy
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #41

The Ford Transit Diesel has been in production for some years.

I've been following some of the build outs in Ford Transit Forums. Lots of clever idea's on some of those builds. Camper Vans and Conversions - Ford Transit USA Forum

The Confused RV Blog has a lot of good ideas. The conFUSEd RVer

I did get a chance to stop in a dealership to look at a Fuse 23A this weekend. The sales guy would have rather been watching the football game, dealership doesn't let customers wonder the lot but you must be accompanied at all time. Between RVs that had been locked up and the hot day it was a horrible experience for my wife.

I'd been looking at buying a Ford Transit 350 - High Roof Extended. Order everything the way you want, then have someone like Sportsmobile do the finish out they way you want. $90,000 is end result. You could buy a 2018 Fuse 23A for about the same price, but you still need to address little things (I need a 12V 4Amp plug for my CPAP). The Fuse 23A gives a little more room with the slide out, but to my wife it lacked finish details (outlet in bathroom for a hair blower, 12V for CPAP, etc).

For a Class B, I'd love to look at the: Forester TS2371 (wb 178/ over all 312" =v 0.570)

Now when I go back and look at a Forest River Sunseeker it is a really nice finish out, but based on E450 but just about a lower price. Sunseeker Ford Chassis 2290SLE year end pricing is $70,000. 158" wheel base, 24'6" over all so a ratio of 158"/294" or 0.537 -- not too bad, but on wet/slick roads I really like that ratio much higher (my truck was 0.65 which made it a nice easy to handle vehicle, when that ratio on a motor home drops below 0.500 - watch out - and what an exhausting vehicle to drive!).

I'd love to find a class "B" like the Fuse 23A to rent for two weeks. At $350 a day that would be $4,900 to rent but much cheaper to find out if it works for use first before spending $90,000 on one!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Which Make is the most reliable/trouble free?

It depends on what day of the week it was built and who was out sick that day.