Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #1

Which Make is the most reliable/trouble free?

Hello- newbie here. I'm starting to explore the world of class B motor homes for me and the wife to have fun in. I've been looking at info on a bunch of them, but am concerned about the reliability and build quality of the various models. It seems that there are plenty of complaints to go around.

So Which make/model would be the most reliable and have the best build quality?
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

No one complains if everything works as expected. The systems installed in most all RVs come from a very limited pool of suppliers. Build quality is something you, or an experienced friend, should be able to spot on the dealer's lot. Another thing to consider is the chassis maker. Some brands are more expensive to service and maintain than others, that would be a consideration in my selection.

You might consider a used unit, the drop in price is dramatic from a new unit and someone else has had all the manufacturing and assembly mistakes repaired, for the most part. Especially for a first time buyer, I'd not buy new for that reason.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You can buy a Class B (or do you want a B-Plus?) new from $70-150K or more in rare cases. So I think what you asking is what the most trouble free/best value in a given price-range? There are others but Pleasure Way and Leisure Travel Vans consistently rank well overall, just two examples.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Opinions are like.... everyone has one.

I have never seen any published research on your question. I'm unaware of any quality rankings for Class B motorhomes. So you are only going to hear back lots of personal opinions. Personal opinions that are biased towards what they currently own and are far from being objective. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
I have never seen any published research on your question. I'm unaware of any quality rankings for Class B motorhomes. So you are only going to hear back lots of personal opinions. Personal opinions that are biased towards what they currently own and are far from being objective. Good luck.
So how do you like your Winnebago Era? Your thoughts on the road noise and thermal insulation?

I'm still trying to get an idea of what's good value and what isn't. I was looking into the Airstream Interstate lounge but have seen lots of complaints about build quality and the AC/noise etc. which surprised me considering how pricey they are.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Did you intend the irony

There is an RV rating group. You do have to pay for the report but it's not costly. RV.ORG
Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
So how do you like your Winnebago Era? Your thoughts on the road noise and thermal insulation?

I'm still trying to get an idea of what's good value and what isn't. I was looking into the Airstream Interstate lounge but have seen lots of complaints about build quality and the AC/noise etc. which surprised me considering how pricey they are.
Novaman: I love my 2016 Winnebago Era and would buy it again in a New York minute. I think from a "value" perspective you can't beat it. I purchased mine used, with 17k miles on it, for $81.5K with a window sticker of $119k. I think that is really good "value" when compared with the much more expensive comparable brands. RV's depreciate like rocks and I'm hoping to loose the least amount of money on the back end when I sell this one to pursue the next dream ride. I think the build quality on my Winnebago is really quite good and have yet to find any problems with the build quality. When traveling down the freeway I hear lots of noise from all the junk I have in the cabinets rattling around but haven't noticed any excessive road noise per se.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Novaman: I love my 2016 Winnebago Era and would buy it again in a New York minute. I think from a "value" perspective you can't beat it. I purchased mine used, with 17k miles on it, for $81.5K with a window sticker of $119k. I think that is really good "value" when compared with the much more expensive comparable brands. RV's depreciate like rocks and I'm hoping to loose the least amount of money on the back end when I sell this one to pursue the next dream ride. I think the build quality on my Winnebago is really quite good and have yet to find any problems with the build quality. When traveling down the freeway I hear lots of noise from all the junk I have in the cabinets rattling around but haven't noticed any excessive road noise per se.
That is great to hear. Yeah I've seen complaints about terrible road noise, poor insulation, and general bottom of the barrel build quality on the Era's. but I also see plenty of complaints to go around for the other makes as well so it's difficult to know what's what. In terms of price though it seems the Era's are tough to beat.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
I'm starting to explore the world of class B motor homes for me and the wife to have fun in. I've been looking at info on a bunch of them, but am concerned about the reliability and build quality of the various models. It seems that there are plenty of complaints to go around.

So Which make/model would be the most reliable and have the best build quality?
I've sub'd to this thread because we have been considering downsizing to a "B". It's just the 2 of us and what we've got now is more than we need. We have been looking at the Winnie ERA as well as the PASEO. It is somewhat difficult to find much in the line of real world reviews on these rigs.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
jww

Just an opinion.............
With the addition of more bells and whistles come the possibility of frustration because the bells and whistles stop working.

Our first motorhome was a 1998 29' Class A gasser.
Never had the issues related to diesel emissions components, instant water heaters, automatic shades and awnings, complicated television and radio systems, etc...... It was simple and functional.

We obviously were not content with simple and functional so purchase a 2003 38' diesel pusher. Lost some of the simple and functional to having the latest and greatest. More probability for issues.

We obviously were not content with the latest and greatest so traded in 2010 for a 43' diesel pusher with a tag......from latest and greatest to bigger and better. Man those automatic shades sure were nice....when they worked. That automatic satellite dish sure was nice.....when it worked.
That dishwasher sure was nice......when the door gasket didn't leak.
And the list goes on.

So, in 2015 we decided to downsize, and simplify (to some extent).
Went with the ERA 70C. Big adjustment on our part.
As has been said, you don't live in a "B", you live out of it.

But I must say, we are very happy with our choice. Shades work every time I pull them down. Entry step never fails to deploy.
And the list goes on.

B's are no different than any other RV. You must do your homework before purchase. Buyers remorse not always, but usually, comes from the lack of knowledge prior to purchase.

Happy Motoring
Old 08-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #11

But be careful of the chassis they are built on

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
You can buy a Class B (or do you want a B-Plus?) new from $70-150K or more in rare cases. So I think what you asking is what the most trouble free/best value in a given price-range? There are others but Pleasure Way and Leisure Travel Vans consistently rank well overall, just two examples.
We have a brand new pleasureway lexor Ts with 2800 miles on it and can say our experience with dodge promaster 3500 chassis and dealership is crap, first it came without a radio antenna, no one wanted to own that, then the passenger fog light was out, had to fix myself, it wasn't even connected, then the running lights were full of water, had to fix Them. Then found the microwave floor was not even screwed down, had to fix that. Then found c02/smoke detector was DOA. Then the awning wouldn't close one morning, had to shake it for 20 minutes to get it moving. Then found the sink drain was corroded, etc.etc. Called pleasureway about the above items emailed several follow ups. 3 weeks now, no replies, have given up on them. Strange, they seemed helpful at the beginning.

Then after experiencing poor tracking on the van, the real problems started. Van was not tracking well above 60 mph (our first time trying to go over 60).

So I took it in dodge dealer (that's a story in itself) to check alignment. I won't bore you with that experience, but they acknowledged it was out in the rear axle and was bent! But it was my fault and could not/wouldn't help me. Claimed it was either hit, curbed or a pothole that bent the axle! On a brand new unit! However had no evidence to support anything. And I certainly did do anything.

However, after they turfed me out of dealership I went to 2 other alignment places for a print out of actuals to confirm their assessment, and lo and behold same story, it's bent and No one up here can fix! No adjustment can be done! Now I'm stuck...will likely have to drive 800 kms to take to someone to fix. Summers shot. Now dodge really is a disappointment they have no excuse not to help. But still refused.

Maybe replacing the axle will fix the tracking problem and the continuing crashing sounds going over short pavement ridges. We are so frustrated with this van we are considering selling it and giving up on it all. Dream is busted!

All this is just a beware...a name means nothing if MFG doesn't stand behind their product. Sorry for the rant...guess I needed to vent. I'm just very tired of no one taking ownership and stepping up to the plate. Guess I'm too old.

Cheers
Semaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #12

Angry

Ouch.
Tnriverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
There is no such thing as a "trouble free rv". That is a non-sequiter. The only difference is the degree of problems.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Orange View Post
I've sub'd to this thread because we have been considering downsizing to a "B". It's just the 2 of us and what we've got now is more than we need. We have been looking at the Winnie ERA as well as the PASEO. It is somewhat difficult to find much in the line of real world reviews on these rigs.
We bought a new Paseo about two months ago and we have taken it out most weekends. We absolutely love the Paseo and, generally, everything about it. We definitely wanted a Ford Chassis so that narrowed down the amount of available "B" RV's to a handful. We drove them all and fussed over the layout but the Paseo meets all of our needs.

It's a pleasure to drive: the twin turbo's make it buttery smooth on the road, especially when you have to hit the gas a bit to pass a slow Class A RV going uphill (I kid...I jest!). It's incredibly comfortable to drive and everything has worked like a champ so far, although we're waiting until things really settle before digging into the engine and accessories for any issues.

We towed our 2013 Jeep Wrangler behind Pablo (yes, we, or should I say the other half, named the Paseo as Pablo. Long story...anyway, the haul was barely noticeable and it worked out well. Our MPG so far is between 13.5 and 14.1.

The only gripe I have is that they don't install enough batteries and solar. A 100w system with only 2 AGM batteries is next to useless if you want to stay off the grid and quiet. We had to use the generator two days when we went to a campsite (no hookups for us!) and although nobody complained, I'm always courteous to those around me and I just about ground my teeth down hoping no one would mind the noise. Granted, it's not really that loud but I would prefer to have a larger battery bank and solar re-charge.

If there's anything specific about the Paseo that you have questions about, let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. In the end, you'll find the best one for you!
jstersd is offline   Reply With Quote