RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Which will have the better ride?

My wife and I are planning on driving cross country this summer. We are only considering a class B, specifically the interstate model, for it's ride and convenience. We currently have a new ford F150 lariat that has an awesome ride. However...like the idea of having a bathroom and amenities
so we wouldn't have to stop as often.

Any opinions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Ken

kpmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Interstate series (there are several types) of RV's from Airstream will generally ride better than most any pick-up with suspension on the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van selected for the converted van.
https://www.airstream.com/touring-coaches/

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #3

Most class B van conversions have a midships situated wet bath, that is, sink/commode/shower head, but the shower area is the entire bathroom area.

If you want a true bathroom, with a sink/toilet and a separate shower, your available class B floor plans change a lot. There are several class B vans with a full bath, usually located at the rear of the coach. The bed(s) is/are moved forward into a split twin, or a Murphy bed, or possibly some other drop down configuration.
However, if you want the MB Sprinter chassis for it's ride (which is very good) and don't mind something a little larger, both Winnebago and Thor and Triple E (Leisure Travel Vans) have some other small class C options, with full bath floor plans that might work for you.
My Navion, for example, is built on a Sprinter cab cutaway chassis, rides well, and has several floor plans, all with a full dry bath in the mix.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #4

We put 135,000 miles on a Sprinter and now have a promaster (RAM) built out as as Winnebago Travato. It has 24,000 on it. Make sure you check those out.

The Travato has the better ride in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
We put 135,000 miles on a Sprinter and now have a promaster (RAM) built out as as Winnebago Travato. It has 24,000 on it. Make sure you check those out.

The Travato has the better ride in my opinion.
kmessinger,
Could you elaborate on the differences in ride? We've been looking at the Ford Transit and Ram Promaster but are having trouble with the foot impingement for the passenger. It isn't as bad as the Ford gassers by far but it is enough to give someone with knee, back and hip issues problems. As a result were going to start reluctantly looking at the Sprinter. But are wondering why you thought they didn't ride as well as the Promaster.

Thanks!
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #6

It is pretty subjective. Our Sprinter had a 144" wheelbase and the Travato 159". That contributes to a smoother ride. Our Sprinter had a Hellwig sway bar and Koni shocks.

Our Travato is stock except for Sumo Springs which are really just bigger bump stops. The 3500 is a truck and when you hit dips, bumps, etc. it is stiff and the back end really is bouncy. But on a smooth road (there are none in California) it drives like a dream. Less sway and less problems with wind or passing trucks.

Still, all in all, very subjective and depends on how you are loaded, weight, etc.

My wife and I get out from the seats pretty easily though I have been temped to take the inside arms off the seats. In the Travato you sit more upright than in the Sprinter. Kinda like you are sitting at a table.

Safe travels!

Keith
Old 01-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #7

The new trucks ride like a Cadillacs or a Lexus. I would think it would ride better than any class 'B'. Just saying.

Since a Class 'B' does not give you much room I would not eliminate the idea of towing a small trailer.

In a class 'B' what do you do when the driver needs a potty break? You got to stop anyway.

A F-150 could tow a T@B 400 trailer easy or any small trailer easy. If you keep the weight around 4,000lbs. the F-150 would be a pleasure to drive.

I would put the F-150 to work. Heated and cooled seats, satalite radio plus the ride. It is really a great cross country vehicle.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #8

Yes, but in a Class B I can ask my DW to get up and make me a sandwich.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #9

Lol, you guys always talk about that sandwich the DW can make you. All I can say is I very very seldom want a sandwich while I am driving. If I do, I stop and get one and use the restroom and stretch my legs.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #10

Thanks kmessinger,

Your input was useful. We went to the show and found the MB cabin the most comfortable to sit in but in looking back at my notes from last year found the Promaster the best to drive. We are currently looking at a used Trend.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Didnt want to ver off topic but DW would smack me if I asked her to get up while I'm driving to make a sandwich. I can however just get up from my seat and hit the head with out going outside when stopped(nice in bad weather). I'm only 22' long in the Transit and less than 40' with the "C"and a toad.Depending on the trailer you'll probably be at least 40' long. Refuelling will be easier in the "B".I would go on but again dont want to continue off topic. My Transit 350HD HR drives fine and we plan on using it for our cross country adventure when we can.
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #12

The new '19 MB's that will be coming out shortly have so many "car-like" improvements which include safety features found on high-end cars, that they'll be worth taking a second look at if you've passed on them in the past. Also will include the first ever in-class electric sliding side door!

Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote