Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Era 4x4 debut Hershey

I just read this. Anyone heard more about this? I hope this is true! Winnebago will be debuting 70A and 70X 4x4 at this year's 2015 Hershey show Sept 16-20th. Winnebago Brings Exciting Lineup to America's Largest RV Show<WGO.N> | Reuters

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club

http://www.gizmag.com/winnebago-era-...per-van/38855/. Says it's suitable for driving the "dirt road into the campground", that's about the extent of the off-road capabilities. Kind of a gimmick.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Not very private, but a great view:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441844315.041967.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	106427
Old 09-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Alpha, that last picture is not the Era. It's the Travato 59k on the Promaster.

The Sprinter 4x4 is marketed as bounding over sand dunes and wilderness - more than I'd ever dare do in a unibody vehicle. But it's certainly not limited to gravel roads. To poo-hoo it like that is a bit disingenuous.

Hope everyone joins us at Hershey. My Facebook group is having a meetup on Friday at the show and go and look at the B's. Everyone is welcome to join us.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Alpha, that last picture is not the Era. It's the Travato 59k on the Promaster.

The Sprinter 4x4 is marketed as bounding over sand dunes and wilderness - more than I'd ever dare do in a unibody vehicle. But it's certainly not limited to gravel roads. To poo-hoo it like that is a bit disingenuous.

Hope everyone joins us at Hershey. My Facebook group is having a meetup on Friday at the show and go and look at the B's. Everyone is welcome to join us.

I only linked to the article. I did not write the article and do not have an opinion on it.

The article clearly says the 4x4 Sprinter Expedition is , according to this engineer (not me), suitable only for the dirt road into the campground.

I'll re-post it for your convenience:

"...With the Era already in its lineup, the Era 4x4 was just a matter of getting the 4x4 option from Mercedes. Winnebago advertises the new model as its first Sprinter-based off-road RV, but an engineer admitted to us that the model is designed more for road driving. It appears to be well-equipped for all-weather highway driving and light off-roading, like navigating the dirt road to the campground, but it falls well short of a more serious off-roading expedition van..."

Did you read the article??? See the above link I posted.

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2015, 12:13 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If they make efforts for it to be a 4 season coach, being 4x4 has some nice advantages for winter driving. Most 4x4's - even pickups, seldom leave the pavement, but many purchase for all season travel. That's why both our cars are 4x4 or AWD.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #7

We saw it at Hershey, they didn't even have different tires on it. Does seem a little limited in what you would actually use it for. Would at the least have to put all terrain, trail, mudders, etc. Roadtrek had mud terrain on theirs, as they are also doing the 4x4. Don't think I would take it out on the beach either, at least the Jersey shore beaches where we like to go that have softer sand, etc. maybe a harder sand. Probably would take it out on light trail, not too deep of snow, etc.

Tags
winnebago