Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Era generator service.

We haven't pulled the trigger yet but are considering an Era 70M. How does one service the generator other than the oblivious low crawl? I've read the manual online and have seen no mention of even checking the oil.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

In a quick skim of an owner's manual for a 2017 Era, it only mentions the generator as an option. I think the best way to answer your question is to go and inspect an actual RV on a dealer's lot.

In general, generators might be hard to change a spark plug without removing from the RV, but everyday maintenance is usually accessible from the generator location facing the access hatch. In addition, generators usually have a low oil and overheat cut off that stops the engine before any damage is done.

If you know what make and model of generator is installed in the unit you're interested in, you can find out more by going to the manufacturer's website.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

I'm familiar with the actual service and maintenance of the generator but the jest of the question is how do you gain access. The Onan Microlite is mounted under the floor between the frame rails and directly behind the the rear axle housing. It appears that you would have to crawl under the vehicle unless there is access through the floor somewhere to at least check the oil. Can an Era owner or technician comment please. The dealer too far away to go take a look. Thanks
Old 09-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
jww

Yes, any and all access to the generator requires crawling under the ERA.
This includes checking the oil level.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #5

Thanks
Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
pfm41, I have to agree, that would be a concern. Pretty stupid design, to bury the generator between frame rails and not provide access from a hatch or other means than crawling underneath.

Good catch! I think I'd look at other RVs if I was in the market.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #7

It's not a deal breaker for me but I wanted to know up front. I think all of the Sprinter Class Bs are that way, at least I've never seen any that had a door on the side to access a generator.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #8

I had an ERA a few years ago and yes, you'll have to crawl under to do oil changes check level etc. No filter to change so it's not too bad.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
The generator on my 2016 Era 170A is situated between the frame rails directly behind the rear differential. I have already changed the oil and replaced the air filter with no difficulty. I backed my rig up on 4" solid wood ramps and was able to get great access to the rear positioned generator.

Granted, checking the oil level requires gaining access to the generator from underneath but I'm planning on changing the oil annually (the total oil capacity is less than one quart!) such that the oil level would never be that low to begin with. Cummins/Onan recommends initial oil change after the first 20 hours and then every 150 hours. I'm confident I won't be using the generator anywhere close to 150 hours per year given my rigs limited use.

Tags
generator, service, winnebago