Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 06:35 AM   #1

Winnebago ERA vs. Leisure TV Unity

I am narrowing my purchase decision down to these two manufactures and wondering if anyone can give me a comparison on the drivability of these. I read somewhere on here that the Winn ERA built on the Mercedes Chassis has a lot of sway and loud inside when driving. The post said that they had to install sway bars and new shocks, etc. which helped a lot. Does anyone know if LTV's adds any upgrades to the MB that they use for the Unity model. If you own either of these what is your experience with driving, sway, handling on the highway, noise, etc. This will sure help in my purchasing decision...thank you!
Catchingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #2
KC

Are you looking at Class B or Class B+/Class C?

KC
Old 02-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Class B B+
Catchingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #4

Go to the LTV website, they list dealer shows in the coming months, drive one a see for yourself. LTV builds very nice units. Also google for Sprinter forums, lots of info from users there.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #5

Never drove the Era but owned the LTV Unity MB. Drives like a charm. Never added any of the ride options like stabilizers. Had 16000 miles with plenty of wind on all axis and never experienced a problem. Very aerodynamic compared to the Winnie.

You pay more but you get so much more...
Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #6

We own a 2018 Era A and it drives like a dream. I can't imagine someone would have to upgrade the shocks or add any anti-sway equipment. I had to add anti-sway to my gasser class A and the Country Coach DP I downsized from so I know the difference.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #7

I'm new to this, but this guy doesn't seem that impressed w/ his ERA.

WINNEBAGO ERA - DEFECTS, PROBLEMS - A REAL OWNER'S HISTORY
Van Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #8

We have been searching for a year or more for a class C to downsize from our Dutchstar. Finally settled on an LTV Unity. Winnebago was not so close 2nd after looking at some on lot with obvious faults from the factory.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
We have been searching for a year or more for a class C to downsize from our Dutchstar. Finally settled on an LTV Unity. Winnebago was not so close 2nd after looking at some on lot with obvious faults from the factory.
Dennis - I understood you're going with the Unity. Did you have a top three to consider? And if not buying new, would you choose different makes/models as your top three?

I've always respected you approach to larger DP usage. From taking a good foundation, and modifying/updating to make it 'you're coach'. So wanted to understand your thought process on the upcoming downsizing.

And, from post's I believe I recall reading before, you are 'partial' to Mercedes! Did you consider any other non Mercedes based units for downsizing. (LazyDaze Class C's; Born Frees; Etc.)

My DW and I are also looking ahead, and actually did a Pro/Con workup on buying a Class B or C to have at the same time as our current rig. (Many times their are Boon Docking locations I would not take my rig. When we're not out for months at a time, and want to get away for may a few days, or few weeks. Having a alternative smaller unit is attractive to us... (Not attractive enough go spend the money on one yet! But, I did look really close a neighbor's good old Dodge Roadtrek 190. Well cared for under a carport. Under 26K miles. Due to family reasons, they used it locally to visits to the parks and ocean, vs traveling. Full folder of yearly receipts, and IMO - including yearly maintenance on items I personally would not have done! (But, his DW pointed out it was his baby!!) And, a reasonable price... Just a tad too small for the two of us for more then a weekend or so. (Though the DW said maybe we could adapt it to be a Toad - so she could have a Gal Cave!!!).

Sorry, went on a bit. But, curious of your selective process. (And, if you have a link where you've gone thru this, sorry!)

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Diesel View Post
I'm new to this, but this guy doesn't seem that impressed w/ his ERA.

WINNEBAGO ERA - DEFECTS, PROBLEMS - A REAL OWNER'S HISTORY
Now that vehicle left the factory in bad shape! Kinda wish I had not read that link but yes, read every word. Makes the Unity worth a lot more eh!
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Winnebago and many others are not what they once were. The LTV was the only choice for us. We don't have dealers for some of the other US made class C rigs but the ones we looked at including the Thor group were pretty bad IMHO....
Old 05-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Winnebago and many others are not what they once were. The LTV was the only choice for us. We don't have dealers for some of the other US made class C rigs but the ones we looked at including the Thor group were pretty bad IMHO....
Spend a little time on the LTV owners group on google, LOTS of problems there to so you are not out of the woods.

I would seriously consider the Ford Transit based models like the LTV Wonder or the Winnebago Fuse; much better and more economical package, the sprinters have had a host of chassis issues with the fuel system and are set to go through a major updating. You will easily save 20K or more, and get a more dependable rig vehicle wise. I have the Fuse, but the Wonder is awesome also.

The Unity is more comparable to the View by the way. And they are Class C's
Old 05-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Spend a little time on the LTV owners group on google, LOTS of problems there to so you are not out of the woods.

I would seriously consider the Ford Transit based models like the LTV Wonder or the Winnebago Fuse; much better and more economical package, the sprinters have had a host of chassis issues with the fuel system and are set to go through a major updating. You will easily save 20K or more, and get a more dependable rig vehicle wise. I have the Fuse, but the Wonder is awesome also.

Looked at the Fuse but jumping up into the bed is not an option for us old folks. There were also a number of quality issues with the house that I was not impressed with.
Some of the Mercedes issues you speak of are with sprinters that have 100K plus miles on them. Not many RVs even come close to this.
I liked the transit chassis but the lower GVW is a factor in that it's nearly overloaded before you get all of your gear on board.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

Just took delivery on LTV Wonder FTB. Love it. Echo the above on the superior Ford Transit chassis.

IMHO, there is no comparison between View and LTV products. LTV far superior in fit and finish and overall quality. You pay for it but... This is the second LTV we have owned. Flawless both.

If you be wanting something off the rack, however, you are going to find the wait for an LTV tiresome. Order today and wait up to nine months.

Tags
winnebago