Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Winter in a class b+

wondering if anyone uses one of these rigs to winter in? like spending the winter in Florida. I am thinking about one of the Winnebago Views, Itasca or Thor Siesta.

We currently have a 40 foot pusher and will sell it soon.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Yes we did for 5 winters , My wife and I get along very good so. Not everyone can do it but I see smaller rigs all the time. Travel move around use the small size see Florida Texas and Arizona all in the same winter.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

What kind of rig did you do the 5'years in?

Steve
Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
wondering if anyone uses one of these rigs to winter in? like spending the winter in Florida. I am thinking about one of the Winnebago Views, Itasca or Thor Siesta.

We currently have a 40 foot pusher and will sell it soon.

Steve
Steve,

We routinely spend as much as two months in ours. Bought a Winnebago View in 08/2005, then traded it for our 2012 Itasca Navion iQ in 02/2012. We make a "big" fall trip each fall, 6-8 weeks long, then to South Texas in Jan-Feb, usually 4-6 weeks. Many other smaller trips the rest of the year. At one point we lived in our View for 5 months while our house was being built.

By the way, I think rigs like Views and Navions are technically Class C's. . . I read the whole B+ thing is more of a marketing term. Not sure about all of that, perhaps someone who really knows can clarify.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Have a LTV 24MB and have made two trips across country and back in all kinds of weather. Snow, sleet etc. Temps in the low 20s. We do have a small space heater we purchased at a Target in Wy for those extra chilly mornings but it has been just fine. Only complaint is the Murphy bed can be a little on the brisk side when you first lower it on cold nights.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #6

Just for the info above who said B+ is just a marketing term, we have a B+ it was not a marketing term, similar to a smaller C without the overhead bed. So technically some of the Winnebago's do classify as a B+.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #7

Having or not having the overhead bed is not the defining factor.

If it has a van body - its a B
If it has a van body that's been cut-up - like the PW Excel or RT 210 Popular, that's a B+
If it's a cut away chassis, then it's a C.

All the rig's the OP listed are C's.

Regardless of what category it falls in, you can winter in all of them fine. It could be a bit uncomfortable if you have real extremes of weather. If you are just talking about sitting in a commercial campground all winter, then I think you'll be fine in Florida, Gulf Coast and out west (AZ, NV). If you are wanting to go off-grid then I think you'll need to make some mods to make that more comfortable.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #8

We spent 3 months for 9 winters in Fl.
Two winters in a reg ford custom van.
Seven in a Dodge B250 Sportsmoble with a pop top.
All in a State Parks, 1 to 2 weeks here and there.
After the first winter, the kids wanted to know
if we was still married.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Having or not having the overhead bed is not the defining factor.

If it has a van body - its a B
If it has a van body that's been cut-up - like the PW Excel or RT 210 Popular, that's a B+
If it's a cut away chassis, then it's a C.

All the rig's the OP listed are C's.

Regardless of what category it falls in, you can winter in all of them fine. It could be a bit uncomfortable if you have real extremes of weather. If you are just talking about sitting in a commercial campground all winter, then I think you'll be fine in Florida, Gulf Coast and out west (AZ, NV). If you are wanting to go off-grid then I think you'll need to make some mods to make that more comfortable.
The PW Pursuit is a B+, the PW Excel is a B (from Pleasureway themselves). My 11 yo 25 ft B+ has a Cut Away chasis and says B-Plus right on it so no doubt. A C stood for cab overhead bunk. A B+ was a hybrid between a B and a C, at least that was it originally. The sprinter Winnebago's without the bed, etc., very similar to mine same floor plan and closer to the original B+.
From Pleasureway:
AscentMercedes Sprinter (114" wheelbase) -Class B
Plateau FL/TS/MPMercedes Sprinter (170" wheelbase) -Class B
Lexor Chevy Express 3500 -Class B
Excel Ford E350 - Class B
PursuitFord E350 (cutaway) -Class B+
Old 09-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have a Coachman Prism 24G (24'10") on the Sprinter Chassis it is really great. It is big enough and yet not that big that we need to tow anything. She has a Queen Bed on slide in rear, and side slide for dual reclining love seat in Living area. We have heated tanks which my honey tells me is good ... we live in Florida and it isn't a big deal weather wise... as for living in the Coachman or being in confined quarters, well he is my best friend and we get along great (38 years worth)... we have had the "B" vans in the past and if wasn't for the fat cat traveling with us and all her gear we would do just fine in the "B" van.
carolp495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

I think you're beginning to see a pattern here, and that is a small class C can support extended living for two people but I would not try that in a pure Class B... convenient, but just too restricted. Not saying it can't be done (because anything can be done) but few would find it truly comfortable for extended periods.

On the other hand, if you move up to a mini-Class C you get things such as a permanent bed and dinette (meaning not having to make one or the other up every morning and every evening), a full dry bath, a slide to provide those critical (when living full time) extra few square feet, etc. And in exchange for this you get a vehicle (I'm thinking of the View/Navion form factor) that is barely any longer or wider than many Class B units, meaning the it can be driven in urban areas, parked in normal lots, etc. In my opinion the mini-C is the real sweet spot in downsized RVing.

Yes, I'm biased, but that's also because it just works. Like many we had the 50-something foot rig but we downsized and have not looked back. Fewer creature comforts, yes, but a universe of increased usability and traveling is no longer a logistical exercise. Oh, and 16 mpg doesn't hurt either.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #12

I have to second the Coachmen Prism, it is one we're considering ourselves and you can get one for less than the View, etc, the 24G has the most comfortable recliner sofa I've sat in in any motorhome, much more comfortable than the View 24G, but we prefer the corner bed floorplan. The Prism's have beautiful lighter wood that is so pretty and makes it feel more open. Altho I have to say, Winnebago has the new modified 2015 View 24J, with now a huge window over the sink and an extended u dinette where you can put your feet up, what a GORGEOUS motorhome. So open inside, much nicer than their 2014 24J and much more open feeling than any I've sat in similar sizes. Love it. I would be comfortable in either of those full timing, we never want anything more than 25 ft. And might I add, the Prisms have awesome outdoor TV's.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Steve,

We routinely spend as much as two months in ours. Bought a Winnebago View in 08/2005, then traded it for our 2012 Itasca Navion iQ in 02/2012.
Wondering what made you go for the Nation rather than another View.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdavew View Post
Have a LTV 24MB and have made two trips across country and back in all kinds of weather. Snow, sleet etc. Temps in the low 20s. We do have a small space heater we purchased at a Target in Wy for those extra chilly mornings but it has been just fine. Only complaint is the Murphy bed can be a little on the brisk side when you first lower it on cold nights.

Hi,
We have a 2014 Unity 24 MB and have traveled from the west coast to Halifax, Nova Scotia and returned as well taking trips along the west coast. We were wondering if you have any issues with your MB. We have.
Bob
P.S. We think the LTV is a great RV.

Tags
winter