Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
Workhorse vs v10 towing

I know this conversation related to "which is better" has been all over the place. My questions are different.

Background - I have the V8 motor on my 2005 Damon Daybreak and I'm going riding on an ATV trip with a large group of guys, one has the v10. We're both hauling trailers and it's frustrating that I'm only rated for 3500 and he is for 5000. It makes it nearly impossible not to go over my weight. I've noticed that even identical year and model like mine can be equipped with the workhorse or the V10. The towing caps are 3500 and 5000 respectively.

I have 2 questions

1. Both engines are nearly identical stats. Why is the V10 rated for so much more trailer weight?

2. What is the real danger of me towing closer to 5000lbs? I understand there is a chance I can be pulled over and weighed but the chances of this are so slim it's not worth discussing. I also realize that if I crash my rig and it's discovered I was over weight I could be in trouble. I'm less concerned about these 1 in 100,000 chances than I am about damage to my vehicle.

Note that I'll be doing approx 1200 round trip through PA, NY, CT, and NH

Asaszn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe that the ratings go beyond just the raw engine pulling power to also include the:

Frame. Your RV frame may have extensions welded on by the motorhome manufacturer and there is a limit set there.

Transmission and its cooling capabilities

Axle / rear end gear ratio

I owned a Chevy on a 3500 chassis and later a ford with the V10. In both cases I was towing 3,000 pounds. The weight of the two RVs were close to the same. I can say that the Ford seemed to handle it better, especially the gearing.

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
I suspect your are correct and there are some other things that effect this number. That is the essence of the question I'm asking.

Like I said, I know it's not "ideal" that i tow over 3500lbs. I'm wondering if there is a true danger in it.

I understand it's easy to say "well, that's what the manufacturer says on the sticker so better not do it." First of all, I'm not a simple thinker like that (also what makes me a successful multi business owner) but secondly, I know there are many things that go into these types of warnings beyond actual mechanical abilities including lawsuits, insurance, recalls, etc.

Just trying to get someone who has either 1) hauled over 3500lbs for an extended period or 2) someone who knows the real mechanical reason for this (if there is even is one)
Old 05-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On my Freightliner chassis, the hitch itself is the limiting factor. Freightliner didn't install the 5000 lb. Reese hitch, and they will not advise or assist me in any way to install a heavier duty hitch. With your orphaned Workhorse chassis, you're probably in an even worse position. One way forward might be to identify another vehicle that used the same chassis variant and had a heavier duty hitch. You could at least see what (if any) additional frame structure went along with the hitch and try to duplicate it.
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
trans rear gear ratio frame specs on and on. if you have an accident no matter whos fault it is and the insurance company finds out you were running overweight that is an out for them not to cover you. stay legal my friend.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
As stated its a combination of lots of things, nothing really to do about the engine itself. My workhorse powered class A was rated for 5,000 lbs

And also as mentioned above IF you happen to be in a accident, even if it's not your fault if the ins co finds out you are over payload good chance they will not want to pay.

Best bet is if you want to be able to carry more consider a different RV.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Appreciate the the words of warning, as the original post said, I'd prefer not to get into a discussion about legalities and insurance.

As for "choose a different motorhome" I'm not sure where you guys are at financially but I'm not in a position to just run out and buy a new motorhome. I did find someone who can tow one of my vehicles so I think I'm going to be around 3500lbs to 4000lbs being towed (including trailer weight) then have about 600lbs of men flesh and supplies in the MH itself. I should be all right at that weight I hope.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
the answer to the question is in the GVWRs (see below) the ford chassis are higher rated, probably greater capabilities in the axles. Interesting that in the non-slide models the GVWRs are more similar. Looks like the 2965 model on the Ford is the towing monster with the highest GCWR and lowest dry weight (not provided).

GVWR(k lbs) GCWR(k lbs)
2960 15/15.7 21/21
2965 17/20.5 21/26
3060 15/15.7 21/21
3270 18/20.5 21/26
3272 18/20.5 21/26
3295 18/20.5 21/26

Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing, v10, workhorse