Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

'04 Horizon, squeaky brakes, grrrrr

Gents,
Our brakes on our Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT, has an intermittent "Squeaky brake" problem. It's equipped with drum brakes all the way around and, they're in great shape. The rig has right at 50K on the clock. The drums have the usual heat check spots and some ultra minor, really small cracking here and there.

I've had all the wheels/tires/drums off for inspection once or twice and, the brake shoes are thick and in great shape. Now, squeaking in general is normally caused by possibly "glazed" shoes. Most of the time, it's with somewhat light brake pedal that I get the squeaking, as I come to a stop. It's a bit embarrassing to say the least. We have a nice looking full body paint coach that I really enjoy keeping looking at its best but, when slowing down to a stop, on an off ramp etc. it's this squeaking thing that bugs me. I'm thinking of removing the drums and using some seriously course sand paper, like 30 grit or something thereabouts and cross sand some coarseness into both the shoes and the drums.

Any thoughts here? Thanks.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You might try a few firm, hard braking cycles to help eliminate the squealing. Gentle braking is what causes a lot of the glazing, a few hard stops can help eliminate it. Make sure everything is stowed safely and cabinets are closed!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #3

FL has a procedure to fix that problem. I remember reading about this when we had our 02 Bounder. The squeak was embarrassing. I am sure someone will post the method in detail. It involves doing some very hard braking repeatedly.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the answers guys. I certainly appreciate them. I think I did do a "hard" slow-down or stop the last time this situation occurred and if I recall, it ceased the "squeaking" for several hundred or thousand miles. I'll give that a try prior to my next removal of them for inspection.
Scott
Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
My 02 does this after setting unused unused for weeks. I think the drums get some surface rust, and a few somewhat hard brake presses, going forward, then reverse (while still at home), quiets it down.

If you take the wheels off, and sand the pads and drums, it will be quiet for your next trip, but I think the squeal will come back again between trips.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Scott,
You might try this brake burnishing procedure.

Sammie

Burnishing Squeeling Brakes

Overview:
Air brakes require time to properly bed in. New brake shoes come coated with an epoxy resin. Whenever a new coach is delivered, or new shoes are installed on a used coach, these shoes need to be properly broken in or else the resin will glaze over. Once the pads glaze they will vibrate when applied to the drums and the resonating sound shows up as a squeal.
Even if the new linings are not properly broken in, it is still possible to burnish off the resin glaze if it is caught soon enough. If the shoes themselves have been glazed from overheating after being in use a while the burnishing process may or may not help. If the glaze is light it can still be removed but if it is deep into the shoes, they will need to be relined or replaced.
Freightliner's Recommended Procedure:
Freightliner has a small section on brake burnishing buried in their Recreational Vehicle Chassis Operators and Maintenance Manual that describes this process. It's hard to find so we'll repeat it here for your convenience.
1. In a safe area, make 10 sharp brake applications or "snubs", slowing the vehicle from 40 to 20 mph using light (approximately 10 to 20 PSI brake pressure.
2. Make 10 stops from 20 MPH using moderate (20 to 30 PSI) brake pressure.
3. Make 2 stops from 20 MPH using hard (full application of air pressure) brake applications.
Note: After the hard brake applications, it is normal to notice a hot brake odor.
4. Next drive the vehicle approximately 5 to 7 miles allowing the brakes to cool, and then come to a stop.
Note: After performing the burnishing procedure, there should be no brake noise and the brakes should have good stopping ability.
5. Inspect each wheel and ensure that there is no excessive end-play.
6. Inspect the brake adjusters and air chambers and ensure that the pushrods have proper and equal stroke.
7. If the brakes pull the vehicle to one side or grab after the burnishing procedure, contact a Freightliner RV dealer for service.
If this helps but doesn't totally eliminate the problem you can always try it again after resting a while. You have nothing to lose by trying. Just be sure to secure any loose items inside the RV to keep them from flying around when you make the sudden stops.

Submitted by Mark Quasius - 2/11/06
Click Your browser's "Back" button to return to the previous page
or chose another category from the side menu.

The RV Tech Library is brought to you by the TiffinRVnetwork
Absolutely No Affiliation exists between this group and Tiffin Motor Homes Inc or the Allegro Club. This website neither endorses or discourages the use or purchase of a Tiffin product. All references, suggestions, comments, etc. contained herein are the opinions/experiences of the posters and not those of Tiffin Motor Homes Inc. or the website administrators.

©Copyright 2006-2009 Tiffinrvnetwork All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #7

Hey Sammie,
You know, this squeaking issue is an on and off again thing. It comes and goes. The last time it was doing it, I had a prefect opportunity to "burnish" the brakes and yet, it was needed any way. You see, we were cruising down a mountain near us towards one of our favorite camp spots, The Springs at Boreggo and, the mountain road is called the Montezuma Grade. It's fairly steep and has lots of turns and points one needs to really slow down for.

So, that was the perfect situation to cure the squeaking and, still cruise on to our destination. Course the DW was not too happy with the smell. But, they did cease the squeaking for quite a while. I don't see why it keeps coming back. Anyway, thank you very much for your sending me that procedure. I'll give it a shot in a day or so during the day when traffic is light around here. How's the Soaf-dog? Ours in on patrol outside doing perimeter duty. She'll be back in a few minutes to report nothing's going on and will want a treat.
Scott

Tags
brake, brakes