Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 12:45 AM   #1

1999 Freightliner /cat 3126b (Airstream coach) heating up on grades

Hi all,

The wife and I have been enjoying our new to us 1999 Airstream cutter dp for the last year. We recently starting pulling a toad and since then I noticed the rig is heating up more, this last trip we actually had the heat light come on. Luckily we were basically at the summit so the light and buzzer only went off for about 30sec.

I am aware of the issues with the slobber tube and verified that it is at least below the radiator shroud. When I investigated the condition of the radiator after buying the coach I could shine a flashlight from behind and see clearly through the radiator stack but I only checked the top.

Here is a pic of the center bottom of the radiator looking from the back just in front of the fan.

Here is a pic further toward the top of the radiator, fins in better shape.

Id estimate 10-15% of the radiator surface looks like the top pic. Everything including the fan blades and shroud are covered in sooty oily grime.

I assume this is my problem. I checked water pump tension and coolant level, those seem ok. I should probably replace the thermostats. Thoughts?
NathanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #2

Looks like you've got a messy job ahead of you.

Your 3126B engine will have two thermostats.
Question.
Have you calibrated the engine oil dipstick ?
When I did my calibration , I found I was adding 2 1/2 quarts too much oil to get to the full mark, about an inch of extra oil in the pan.
Correcting the issue reduced slobber by approx. 80%
The metal pan version of the 3126 B takes 19 quarts with filter.
Aluminum pan version takes more , but I don't have the quantity handy.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Your post sounds like you've done your research. Is the crankcase breather hose behind the radiator shroud or below the radiator shroud? The first time I removed the radiator to clean it I extend the crankcase breather hose but not far enough. The second time I remove the radiator to clean it I extended the crankcase breather hose to exit after the rear bumper. Removing the radiator to clean it is a big heavy job but in my case it was definitely necessary.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #4

Thanks for chiming in guys.

The breather tube exits just below the shroud. Unfortunately I am on a trip and can't do any maintenance in the park, so it will all have to wait until I return home. I plan to remove the radiators, replace the thermostats, replace all the hoses, clean everything, inspect belts, and extend that breather tube to the bumper.

Regarding the dipstick, I researched heavily before changing the oil last july, and put in exactly the recomended quantity for the statmped pan which I think was 19 quarts. After running the motor the oil was right on the mark.

I did order a scan gauge to keep an eye on things. From my research I learned these freightliner chassis gauges do not receive signal from the cat ecm but rather a separate sender mounted to the thermostat housing. I did not get a check engine or code/derate so I concluded from the engines point of view it did not overheat, perhaps the freightliner gauge and idiot light are set to go off well before a true over heat condition? I can't find info to confirm this but I have not yet called Gaffney to inquire.

I plan to order the shop manuals off ebay in cd format, anyone have experience with those?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #5

Here's what I have on Freightliner gauges.
I'd say joining " Access Freightliner " for info will be well worth your time.
Call the free help line with your serial number , and ask about joining.
1-800-FTL-HELP
1-800-385-4357
www.accessfreightliner.com
You get wiring diagrams and schematics , and parts info specific to your chassis.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a link to my post relating to replacement of the radiator in our 02 Journey with a 3126 Cat. As you will see we extended the slobber tube to behind the coach to eliminate the problem of plugging the radiator.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/radia...er-312721.html
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Here's what I have on Freightliner gauges.
I'd say joining " Access Freightliner " for info will be well worth your time.
Call the free help line with your serial number , and ask about joining.
1-800-FTL-HELP
1-800-385-4357
www.accessfreightliner.com
You get wiring diagrams and schematics , and parts info specific to your chassis.
Thanks Skip for that info. I appears my conclusion was incorrect the gauge gets its data from the vdc via the ecm. Redline at 220 so I probably ran it to 223 or so before cresting the summit, iirc the cat ecm will not do anything until 225-235.

I'll work on getting signed up for access freightliner.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Here is a link to my post relating to replacement of the radiator in our 02 Journey with a 3126 Cat. As you will see we extended the slobber tube to behind the coach to eliminate the problem of plugging the radiator.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/radia...er-312721.html
Hmmm I dont have a forklift how heavy is the radiator and shroud assembly?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #9

Depending on how plugged it is you can clean in situation using simple green and rinsing front to back and back to front. Worth trying before you pull it all out.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWoodward View Post
Depending on how plugged it is you can clean in situation using simple green and rinsing front to back and back to front. Worth trying before you pull it all out.
I would sure try that first.When we started to clean mine out the fins just collapsed from old age and corrosion so I decided to replace the radiator.

The combination is pretty heavy but you could probably horse it out of there with some help without a forklift.

Getting it back in will be the problem.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I would sure try that first.When we started to clean mine out the fins just collapsed from old age and corrosion so I decided to replace the radiator.

The combination is pretty heavy but you could probably horse it out of there with some help without a forklift.

Getting it back in will be the problem.
Looks like the bottom quarter of the fins are already collapsed, maybe from a prior attempt with a pressure washer? I'm going to plan for a thorough cooling system refresh/rebuild complete with hose replacement and rad replacement if necessary. I figure the effort is worth I when a $15K engine is on the line. Just seeing that needle rise up and nowhere to pull over really put the fear into me!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freightliner wanted almost $2000.00 for a radiator core. We found one aftermarket that looks identical for $700.00. Check local suppliers.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also a really good time to replace fan belt.

Tags
airstream, cat, freightliner, heat, heating