Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #1

2004 Alegro Bus - Freightliner Chassis

Been a backyard wrench turner for years but have had my bus serviced by others since I have owned it. With the economy the way it is and the fact that I know I can do it (Self satisfaction), I would like to do the service myself. Is there a manual for both the engine (Cummings 350) service and chassis service that would be good to have? Thanks in advance for any information offered.
Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

A ton of info on the Freightliner WEB site at FCCC Service & Training Center and Freightliner Motorhome Chassis ? RV Chassis. Also a search of the Cummins site should give you similar info. I've been doing my own maintenance for over 7 years and have not had any problems at all. Not only am I sure that I do things the right way, but I don't have dealers lying to me about what they've done or not done, and conveniently "forgetting" to mention that something needs to be done because it's inconvenient or may take too long. I speak from personal experience here.

In addition, if you have a specific question about something that is not too clear, a call to the 24 hour service line during the day (best guys on then) will get you all the info you need. Things like exactly how you drain the complete cooling system, and how you re-seat and adjust the front wheel bearings tends to be a bit obscure. I've had similar positive experiences with the Cummins help line.

Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There isn't a lot to it. Oil and filter changes, fuel filter, tranny filter and (maybe) fluid change, air filter, chassis lube, plus other filters and fluids. The intervals for these should be covered in your chassis owner manual that came with the coach, but you can download from the FCCC web site if needed. The air dryer dessicant needs to be replaced every 2-3 years as well.

See the Allison site for service intervals on the Allison 3000 - the Freightliner recommendations for the tranny are ultra conservative.
Allison Transmission

You can do your generator service too. It should be covered in the owner manual for the Onan genset, but is also available on the Onan website.

I've been doing the oil changes, fuel & air filter filter changes on both engine and generator. I have done the chassis lube too, but more often I have it done elsewhere when I am in for some other repair or service. I have the air dessicant done in the shop, but I know people who DIY - it's a bit messy but not rocket science.

I try to stop by the Freightliner factory in Gafney about once every 12-18 months and get done whatever is due that I don't care to tackle myself. They do the dirty work and also check out the running gear for incipient problems.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

Many thanks!!

Thanks for the info.....! I really enjoy this site and learning more about our motorhome and the maintenance, upgrades, trials and tribulations of others. If anyone knows of any other sites that would be of interest, I am always interested.
Thanks again
Rick and Sandy
Old 05-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

You are a long way from Gaffney, SC but Camp Freightliner does also go on the road. There is one scheduled in Texas or ask them to go west.

Great informative class.

Camp Freightliner
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to the Freightliner site and download the "KNOWING YOUR CHASSIS" in the RV section. Lots of info there. I don't know what goes on at "Camp Freightliner" but that seems to be a big price for a seminar unless some service is included. I have been to maintenance seminars with the FMCA rallies and find them very informative.
Richard
Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The chassis "seminar" is 1.5 days of real training - not the hour overview you get at rallies. And you come away with a three ring binder full of useful info as well.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

If you ever have an opportunity, the Camp Freightliner is well worth your time and their fee. Mike Cody goes over things about the chassis, engine and trans that you cannot get anywhere else. In addition to the three ring binder, a lot of the info in it is specifically about YOUR chassis (printed out by your chassis serial number). I attended my first Camp after I got my 2005 Diesel Bounder. Liked it so much that DW and I attended the Camp again after I upgraded to my 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus. No, she doesn't get under the rig with me when I lube it or change oil, but she has a much greater understanding of what I'm talking about if we have a problem and has offered a number of suggestions on things I was working on that I had not thought about. If I ever get another rig on a Freightliner chassis, I'll probably attend again. It's that good.

Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner