Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

2007 Freightliner Chassis , Damon Tuscany motorhome

ASAP we changed the batteries on the chassis and have no power to turn motor over. replaced starter also, but we have no power to starter. where is the starter relay located or starter solenoid located on this chassis. Help, we are dead and looking for answers
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have a rear diesel engine? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
there are a host of relays under drivers side seat outside compartment. I have an 08 and I saw a by pass button in one of the fuse panel for the starter. I would check voltages across fuses as maybe popped fuse changing batteries
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a front gas engine, this will not help......but, if you have a rear diesel engine, this may be helpful. On my coach, with a rear CAT diesel engine and a Freightliner XC chassis there is a "Starter Relay" and also a "Starter Solenoid". The Starter Relay is mounted on the wall, just in front of the engine, at the foot of the bed opening. It looks like a typical heavy duty automobile starter relay/solenoid. This relay closes and energizes the Starter Solenoid which is mounted on and is integral to the starter. The Starter Relay is known for failing. Failure mode is when you turn the key to start, you get nothing. I replaced mine last year. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 04-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

we just can't figure out what is going on. We have checked or replaced everything, nothing helps. We have a rear cat engine , I've been under the coach for days, I've opened under the bed to look for starter relay, see nothing. I've asked for a freightliner tech to come from Lubbock but did not call me back.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #6

Yes
Old 04-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

Checked and replaced all fuses or relays, finally bought a relay checker, and guess what, all relays i replaced all show good!?
Old 04-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, try this.......with your VIN chassis number in hand (it's on your Registration and Title), call the Freightliner Hotline...... 1-800-385-4357 or (864)206-8613. They are very helpful and can tell you exactly where your Starter Relay is located and suggestions on what else to check. Rook

Old 04-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You said you replaced the chassis batteries and also the starter .......did you personally do this or did you pay a technician to do it? Why did you think you needed a new starter? What events led to all of this? Rook

Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #10

all I did was change chassis batteries, first pair, one wasn't good, took back, got 2 more. Had a tech come, he told me it was either the batteries or starter so I replaced both. Still nothing. Replaced all relays , bought relay checker to be sure, all I replaced shows good. Have been on a creeper for 2 days trying to find starter relay, think I found it, how do check to see if its good or not?
Old 04-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #11

I'm going in circles at this point!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a bit scary.....you have only 12 volts present, but very high current capacity that's able to weld........so be careful......there will be some sparks. So, on the Relay/Solenoid there are two large and two small terminals. You want to temporarily short the two large terminals together. One way to do this is to use two large screwdrivers, touch each large terminal with a screwdriver blade and touch the blades together in an X........very briefly......if the engine turns over, you have found the starter relay/solenoid. Make sure the ignition is off when you do this. To check the solenoid, connect a voltmeter across the two small terminals and have someone turn the ignition to start....you should see 12.5 volts or more on the meter each time the switch is turned. If yes, then your relay is bad......replace it. If not then the problem is somewhere else.....maybe the ignition switch. Rook

Old 04-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #13

Even had the ignition switch out, man this is becoming a pain in my a....if you know what I mean. Called the local freightliner in Lubbock, they said they'd call me back, which was yesterday afternoon, to send a tech out for this morning, still waiting for the call. Thanks for the info
Old 04-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #14

Rook. I appreciate all the help i can get.

Tags
chassis, motorhome, freightliner, damon