Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

Angry 2009 ISB 6.7 overheating

6 different times in 21,000 miles the over temp warning buzzer and gauge showed the motor was overheating...i would quickly pull over to stop the rig and it mysteriusly would cool off ..while at the Albuquerque,NM fmca rally i addressed the problem to the cummins and frieghtliner people and got the standard answers..."maybe the stat" or "belt slipping" and if it din't boil over (which it did not) maybe a faulty gauge.
on the way to Mesa Az. i stopped at the cummins/freightliner dealer in Chandler,Az....the Tech hooked the computor to the diagnostic probe and it showed (memory) that it overheated. He then said "i can't find anything wrong" i checked this and that,bla,bla,bla was socked $110.00 (crooks)
on the way home to sw florida it overheated 2 more times...
i then took it to the Walsh freightliner and Western star shop in Ft. Myers,fl. (22 miles from my home)
what the tech found was that the electric fan clutch mudule was defective..he replaced the entire fan clutch and modual assy...."problem solved"
cost to freightliner was $1,032.65.. my cost ..zip,nada..the techs name is Keith (one super mechanic)
now have 28,000 miles and noooo more problem
dalcope is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #2

I'm glad you found you solution to the problem...
Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #3

I am new to the forum; haven't set up my profile yet but we just returned from AZ and on the way out with our 2010 Tiffin Allegro RED, we had the same fluky overheat problems with under 8K miles on it. We finally got in touch with the smartest guy (Dwayne) at FTL and he helped us pull off and and pull the fan clutch fuse so we could travel to a town where a service center was. If the check engine light doesn't come on when it overheats; the service people can't find it on the computer. Long story short; we finally got them (Arizona Freightliner) to talk to Dwayne and replace the fan clutch. All was well coming home. Sorry to hear somebody else had the same problems. Fortunately ours didn't cost us any dollars; just headaches and time.
bespringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bespringer View Post
I am new to the forum; haven't set up my profile yet but we just returned from AZ and on the way out with our 2010 Tiffin Allegro RED, we had the same fluky overheat problems with under 8K miles on it. We finally got in touch with the smartest guy (Dwayne) at FTL and he helped us pull off and and pull the fan clutch fuse so we could travel to a town where a service center was. If the check engine light doesn't come on when it overheats; the service people can't find it on the computer. Long story short; we finally got them (Arizona Freightliner) to talk to Dwayne and replace the fan clutch. All was well coming home. Sorry to hear somebody else had the same problems. Fortunately ours didn't cost us any dollars; just headaches and time.
bespringer im the guy that wrote the isb 6.7 heating problem.... is this a coinsidence??..my motor home is a 2009 tiffin allegro red
peter d
Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I glad to see that you and your Cummins have cooled off! Nothing worse than a problem that can't be solved.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalcope View Post
bespringer im the guy that wrote the isb 6.7 heating problem.... is this a coinsidence??..my motor home is a 2009 tiffin allegro red
peter d
Nope...happened to me with a 2008 Fleetwood Bounder. BTW...don't ever use the FL dealer in Bryan/College Station, TX. Have it towed 200 miles at your expense before you let them touch it. You will be dollars ahead.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Nope...happened to me with a 2008 Fleetwood Bounder. BTW...don't ever use the FL dealer in Bryan/College Station, TX. Have it towed 200 miles at your expense before you let them touch it. You will be dollars ahead.
the Freightliner dealer at Chandler,Az got me for $110.00 and found no problem even though it came up on the computor.... back in Florida i went to a Freightliner shop and they said it was a Cummins problem, so i drove to a Cummins shop and the tech found the problem ($85.00), but told to go back to Freightliner because it was their responsibility
went backi to the the Freightliner guys and they said they would have to order the fan clutch and mudule..OK, now they said the parts would be in the next day and would call me!! a week went by and i called the parts dept. to find out where the hell are the parts? Parts guy said he called and but got no answer..As you can expect he was calling the wrong phone number
The service manager told me to bring the rig over around 7:00 am so it would cool down (the Florida temps at that time was in the 90's)
However i did luck out ..the mechanic Keith at Walsh Freightliner ft. Meyers, fl. is top notch..from start to finish less than 2 hours..9,000 miles since the fix and no problem
peter d
Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #8

I was under the impression that the 275 and 300 ISB does not have a clutch fan but is direct driven? I have had both and the Cummins dealer near me said since their is no clutch fan this is one reason the fuel milage is not as good as it could be if they had clutches. I know when I clean my rear radiator on my 300, I cannot turn the fan and I do not see anything that looks like a "clutch". Am I missing something here on this thread? Someone please set me straight.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
I was under the impression that the 275 and 300 ISB does not have a clutch fan but is direct driven? I have had both and the Cummins dealer near me said since their is no clutch fan this is one reason the fuel milage is not as good as it could be if they had clutches. I know when I clean my rear radiator on my 300, I cannot turn the fan and I do not see anything that looks like a "clutch". Am I missing something here on this thread? Someone please set me straight.
I think he's talking about the 340HP ISB like the one in my 2010 Winnebago. Mine definitely has a clutch fan. As you correctly indicate, the sure way to tell is to try and rotate the fan by hand. If you can rotate it, you have a clutch fan. If not, it's direct connected.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I think he's talking about the 340HP ISB like the one in my 2010 Winnebago. Mine definitely has a clutch fan. As you correctly indicate, the sure way to tell is to try and rotate the fan by hand. If you can rotate it, you have a clutch fan. If not, it's direct connected.
correct..the isb 6.7 340hp on a xcr chassis (rear radiator)has a electric fan clutch..
i was told that Freightliner buys just the engines from Cimmins and they (freightliner) install the fan clutch assy. also said that some engines 400hp and up use a hydralic drive system if it has a side radiator..

peter d
09 tiffin allegro red
my toad..nearest enterprise car rental
Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #11

Thanks guys for the clarification on the clutch fan, thought I might have been having a senior moment.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote