Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #1

2009 ISL 400 fuel filter change question

I am about to change the fuel filter and fuel water separator filter on my motorhome for the first time (by me) . Looks easy enough because they both look like a spin on oil filter. I believe my owner's manual says not to pre-full the filters because it has a self priming system. My question is. Is there anything I should be concerned about, or any special advise someone can share. Also will the fuel start draining when I remove the filter?

Randy W

Randy Williamson
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Keep things as clean as possible, wipe down the filter screw on base before removing the old one. Be prepared to crank engine for a time to fill the new filter and prime. A small amount of fuel may drain when loosening the old filter, plus you'll have all the fuel in the filter, so have a bucket or pan underneath to catch all drips.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On ours, you turn the key on for about Ten seconds to prime, do this a few times. Wear disposable gloves and clothes that you really don't want or need...diesel fuel is almost impossible to get out of clothes....like mentioned, keep things clean..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
First time I changed the filters on my ISL400 I filled them and everything went great.

This year after reading all the posts about changing them dry and cycling the key I went ahead and changed them dry. Surprise!! It would not start no matter how many times I cycled the key. Even after I removed the filters again and filled them it would not start. Ended up I had to remove the return line to the tank and plug it to force fuel through the injectors. Only then would it start.

Never again will I change a filter dry.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are those who prefill and those that wish they had.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
There are those who prefill and those that wish they had.
From a truck mechanic...Amen to that!
jmm2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #7

I just loosen mine so I can twist it off with my hands. After I loosen the filter I put a small garbage bag around the filter and twist it off. I just cycle my key on and off and have never had any problems with starting.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #8

As said above, do yourself a favor and prefill the filters.......
Old 04-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #9

Don't forget to put a thin coat of oil on the gasket, so you can get it off next time.

From a heavy equipment mechanic , who never pre- filled a filter. They all drove away.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel