Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #1

2014 Fleetwood Expedition, Freightliner XCM - No Chassis Power

First post.

I read pretty much every post about people with the same issue. But, still cannot find the gremlin:

Motor running was putting down the jacks. Motor abruptly shuts off and all power to dash gone. Turn key nothing.

Main finding: Power feed on firewall below driver - no voltage.

Checked batteries and every inline fuse in the rear of the motorhome. All show good.

Chassis Batteries show >13 volts.

If I click auxiliary start I can here relay click, but it does not work (still no juice @dash). Everything in the coach works fine.

Manually engaged 1 small and 1 large solenoid located by chassis batteries. They both engaged - did this with lights turned on hoping to see some life when I tripped one of them. But - nothing.

There must be a chassis breaker or fuse I'm missing.

I read on other threads about a hard to get breaker on the frame rail near the driver side rear tire. I looked and felt around but could not find anything.

About to go crazy - any help is appreciated.
72Buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #2

Forgot to mention - generator starts and works fine.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Call the Freightliner Tech help line, have the last six of the VIN:

800-385-4357
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

Called Freightliner.

They are saying there's a 150 amp fuse that feeds the chassis line inside the black power distribution box. I saw 2 above the box that read fine, but did not see 2 inside the box. I hope they are right.

Anyone know if the midi fuses freighliner use are unique in size? Or can I get an equivalent at any auto parts store?

fuse #23-13648-150
Old 01-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

In my Freightliner 2010 XCM chassis there is a distribution panel in the driver's side basement compartment that provides power to the dash and elsewhere. Yours is likely to be the same or close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Battery Distribution 1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	659.0 KB
ID:	232388 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Battery Distribution 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	232389

The five Distribution MEGA/AMG Fuses are used as follows, starting from the left.

150A – Chassis Power to Front of Coach for Driver Functions such as Ignition and Dashboard Power

150A – Coach Builder Chassis Power for items such as Slide-Outs, etc.

250A - Intake Grid Heater Relay for Diesel Engine pre-start

80A – Feeds the three Power Distribution Modules just to the right. These modules contain the fuses and relays for:
1. Engine and Transmission Control Modules (ECM & TCM)
2. DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluids) control
3. Exterior Lighting

80A – Trailer Tow Power Distribution Module

The bottom of each of these five fuses should read 12-13 volts. If you don't see 12 volts at the bottom of the first fuse but you do at the others, that fuse is blown.

If the fuse is blown, you can get a replacement from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

Also, if none of those MEGA fuses have power, there is likely a chassis battery post 300 amp fuse that is blown.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Terminal Fuse.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	232395 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Fuse 1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	232396

In my chassis, this fuse feeds the distribution panel fuses.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

Some great helpful post, curious as to what the problem turns out to be
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:48 AM   #8

Checking back in - I did find this on my own, but see that Frank Miller knows about this too. I want to thank everyone for their inputs. This board is a terrific resource and I appreciate the help.

So here's what happened...

I called Freightliner. Although they were helpful, they had me check an inline fuse that I had already verified.

I was about to give up and starting retracing. I was taking a voltage reading on the most inward chassis battery and there it was. I found the terminal fuse (on the other side from where I took the reading first go around), which was blown. Only defense I have is this sits inside a compartment and is not very visible.

I’m mad at myself for missing this first go around, but happy that its fixed.

Tags
chassis, fleetwood, freightliner, power