Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 05:16 AM   #1

2016 FL Maxum Chaissis Front End Thump Diagnosis- Are Hubs Oil Filled or Grease ??

I have a 2016 Winnebago Grand Tour 42HL. I recently started hearing (and very slightly feeling in the steering wheel) a rhythmic thump going at very slow/start speeds in the front end (for example when coasting up to a stoplight/intersection). It seems to go away at higher speeds and I don't really feel any shake/shimmy at higher speeds. I don't hear grinding or other noises.
I've checked the shocks, joints, steering arm for looseness and don't see anything. I started to check the hub as I've read that they are oil filled. When I removed the Center cap from the aluminum wheel I see a "flat" metal plate with about 8-10 fairly substantial Allen Screws in a circular pattern around the edge of it as part of the axle/hub/wheel assembly. I guess I expected to see plastic cap or site-glass to check the hub oil level. I don't want to disassemble anything that I don't have to. Does anyone know if the 2016 FL Maxum chassis is oil filled or grease? Does anyone have a exploded view or diagram of the parts?

I still need to diagnosis this rhythmic thump and it's seems to sync with the tire rotating as it changes with speed. I've check the tires for abnormal tread wear and it looks normal. I've looked / felt for "cupping" and don't notice any. I've manually rotated the tires while the unit is on it's jacks and don't hear anything unusual - but there is no weight on the tires/axle in this scenario either. The tires rotate smoothly. I have not tested or noticed if it changes in a turning situation. Any diagnosis suggestions to further determine if it mechanical or tire related would be appreciated. Our tires have 12K Miles and are Michelin XZA2 Energy 295/80R22.5.
Thanks.
tdjackson56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Re the subject line....they can be either way, call Freightliner with your VIN.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #3

If your coach has IFS (Independant front suspension), it will be a permanently greased bearing.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
It is IFS. I have the same chassis.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:11 AM   #5

Thanks all. I went over to the motor home late yesterday ( it's on a storage lot) and opened the wheel cover plate and saw that it was a grease hub.Also saw that my hub nut was a little loose and tighten it up. Took it for a short test run and I think the thump may have disappeared but not sure until we go on another longer weekend trip. Hub nut is a 6 spindle nut. Here's a pic that I took of the assembly with the cover off. It shows the hub nut and the axle .
Old 05-07-2018, 05:12 AM   #6

Not sure the picture went through in the previous post.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180506_152940.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	201863
Old 05-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #7

You don't just tighten the bearing retainer nut. It is set for a specific amount of end play.

Looking at that picture, there is no grease or oil evident and the hub seems offset to the spindle. All signs of a bad bearing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #8

Thanks for the comment. I'm thinking the angle of my camera pic is showing that it looks off centered. When I rotated the tire and measured through the rotation everything seemed to be round/equal.
I agree with the tighten but when I compared the 2 sides, the Drivers side had much more play than the other side.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjackson56 View Post
Thanks for the comment. I'm thinking the angle of my camera pic is showing that it looks off centered. When I rotated the tire and measured through the rotation everything seemed to be round/equal.
I agree with the tighten but when I compared the 2 sides, the Drivers side had much more play than the other side.
And there was no grease shiwing on either side ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #10

Yes there was grease showing around the bearing.. It's just extremely clean since the MH is fairly new.

Tags
led