RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Final thoughts...

First, I don't understand why someone would want to disable the feature that activates brake lights when the Jake/exhaust brake is also activated. A brake, is a brake, is a brake... If it is slowing me down I want the driver behind me to know that. I'm not going to get into a semantical argument that a Jake/exhaust brake might only be holding a certain speed because at some point before it is disengage it will probably slow you down a bit at first.

BTW...I'm also not going to debate whether the natural capability of a DP motor to hold a speed without the assist of a Jake/exhaust brake is applicable to this discussion. Yes...I once saw that argument used as justification for one person's opinion.

Second, I do not understand why anyone would want brakes lights activated only on the coach but not the toad. That makes no sense at all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #16

Someone correct me if I am wrong but, when you engage the Jake brake or exhaust brake you are not using your chassis brake. With the Jake brake engaged you are using the engine as a compressor. With the engine brake you are using back pressure from the engine to slow you down.
As many have mentioned this would be a safety issue. If you disengage your lights and if you are rear ended they can say you have NO brake lights and you could end up being charged.
If brake lights are not important then why are people ticketed when they do not work.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #17

Last two post sure make sense to me but the big boys will argue all day to keep the Engine Brake on all the time and the heck with the lights, like I mentioned on the other thread about 80% of the folks drive with the engine brake engaged and don't want brake light on, apparently they want to test the reflexes of folks behind them when they let off the fuel

Lawyer will certainly look into that if they are ever rear ended as the coach was here last weekend

Lets hope most folks leave safety features enabled
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but, when you engage the Jake brake or exhaust brake you are not using your chassis brake. With the Jake brake engaged you are using the engine as a compressor. With the engine brake you are using back pressure from the engine to slow you down.
As many have mentioned this would be a safety issue. If you disengage your lights and if you are rear ended they can say you have NO brake lights and you could end up being charged.
If brake lights are not important then why are people ticketed when they do not work.

Koda59,
Your first sentence is absolutely correct. But, the term "engine brake" and Jake brake or, "compression" brake, are all one and the same. An EXHAUST brake is totally different than the Jake, compression or engine. Just trying to clarify stuff. There have been a few threads on here about the long term use of a Jake or even an Exhaust brake on a long grade which, in the case of about 99.9999% of the motorhomes made, will also activate the brake lights. I'm one of those that is perfectly fine with that. Even if I'm not actually slowing down with the use of my exhaust brake but, at least holding the descent at a given speed, it means I'm more than likely going slower than the average person going down that same grade. And that's when brake lights are still welcome and advisory.
Scott

On edit:
I just re-read both mine and your post. I might have explained something I didn't need to. If you're stating how an engine brake works, as in a Jake/Compression brake, then all of my answer is useless.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #19

Toad braking vs Jake braking

Back from trip. A little research (Invisibrake Manual) showed that Roadmaster had already considered JAKE brakes. When the AUX brake is activated, either by the brake pedal or the JAKE brake, a timer starts and when 15 seconds has elapsed the AUX brake is released. When the RV brake lights go off the timer resets ready for the next cycle. I noticed that after about 15 seconds of JAKE brake operation the AUX brake monitor light went off. I guess I can just tolerate the small extra wear on the TOAD brakes since the JAKE brake works wonderfully and keeps my rig from accelerating during down-slopes.

Tags
brake, brake lights, chassis, light, lights