Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #1

I am buying a Tropical T330 DP with the above engine and trans. The Motrhome weighs in dry at less than 20k lbs. Is this going to be enough power for this motorhome. I love the ride and the power felt good but would like to hear from those that have owned similar set ups..thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #2

I am buying a Tropical T330 DP with the above engine and trans. The Motrhome weighs in dry at less than 20k lbs. Is this going to be enough power for this motorhome. I love the ride and the power felt good but would like to hear from those that have owned similar set ups..thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 10:58 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Warren, my good friend Chuck Pinard has the same motor in his 36' HR Neptune and he claims it has plenty of power. Chuck/Bagman57.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I ws just looking at the online brochure for the T330DP. Congratulations...it looks like a nice motorhome.

Regarding the engine, I'm always a fan of more is better but I think that if the empty weight of under 20,000 lbs is true, and you don't plan on pulling a large toad, you'll have plenty of power. The 300 HP 660 ft/lb of torque motor seems to perform very well for folks with the lighter motorhomes.

The only question in my mind though is the weight of the rig. It might be worth taking a careful look at factory "as built" weight information sticker that should be inside the unit you are actually buying. Truthfully, a weight of "under 20K lbs" sounds light for that size diesel pusher. That number may be the weight of a stripped down unit perhaps? The chassis itself is rated for 28,000 lbs GVWR.

The best advice is to drive the rig again, and let your own feelings concerning the power be your guide. If you'd like a feel of how it runs loaded, round up a half dozen heavier friends and take them along on a test drive to add some weight to the rig.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #5

I use a rule of thumb that says I need a minimum of 1.1 hp and 3 lb. ft. of torque for every 100 pounds of CCC(combined carrying capacity). This is the sum of the GVWR of the coach and the towing capacity of the coach. So, if your coach has a GVWR of 28,000 and the toad is 5,000 lbs. you can do the math. I think that the torque rating is even more important for towing, especially if you're ever going to be in hilly or mountainous country. I think the Cummins ISB will have a real problem maintaining reasonable speed in hills if these are the correct numbers for the coach you're looking at.

Edit: that should have been for each 100 lbs of CCC.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #6

Big Red: I must disagree. Where did you get that formula? The 300 HP 5.9 is no race car engine but it is more than ample. Our 39Z Bounder weighs more than the poster's coach. We have no problem climbing the Raton Pass and are able to hold 43 mph. We have been in the hills in Newfoundland and Mountains in Colorado as well. Was just fine. We are not the first up the hill but I gave up drag racing years ago. Fleetwood used that engine in many thousands of coaches and it performs well. I have never heard an owner complain. However personally I dont like the 5 speed Allison. Ours is the 6 speed.

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Moisheh is right. My 32' Itasca has a GVW of 28,000 pounds, and 38,000 pound GCWR with the Allison 6 speed. The engine is only part of the puzzle. Gearing and transmission is huge. I am running 4.78 gears and the 6 speed Allison. I pull a 3500 pound toad, and quite satisfied with the power.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:37 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wdbates:
I am buying a Tropical T330 DP with the above engine and trans. The Motrhome weighs in dry at less than 20k lbs. Is this going to be enough power for this motorhome. I love the ride and the power felt good but would like to hear from those that have owned similar set ups..thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will do just fine. I live at 7000 ft thus run in mountains a lot and have same setup except 6 sp tranny on a 28,000 # motorhome and pull a 3000# toad. It will slow to 40+ MPH on the 6% grades but overall runs just fine and gets great fuel economy -somewhere in the 10+ range (your 5 sp may not do as well).
Old 10-01-2006, 01:39 AM   #9

Should have said, I just traded for a new Dutch Star thus the signature doesn't square with the words. The traded unit was a FW Discovery 36 ft
Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BIGRED1:
I use a rule of thumb that says I need a minimum of 1.1 hp and 3 lb. ft. of torque for each pound of CCC(combined carrying capacity). This is the sum of the GVWR of the coach and the towing capacity of the coach. So, if your coach has a GVWR of 28,000 and the toad is 5,000 lbs. you can do the math. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's see. 28,000 + 5,000 = 33,000. 33,000 * 1.1 = 36,300 hp. 33,000 * 3 = 99,000 lb. ft. of torque.
Wow, you're going to need a big engine.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:10 AM   #11

I have an 03 KSDP that weighs about 23k before fresh water, etc. With the 4k Jeep behind it we do slow down on long and steep grades. Overall, it pulls fine and gets decent fuel mileage.

If you don't mind not being the first to the top of the hill you will probably be satisfied with the combination you are looking into.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #12

Well after 3 weeks of BS from my salesman and service I am suppose to pick up the new rig Thursday morning at 930am.
The weight of this rig is 19800lbs (dry) and has CCCs of 5800lbs and is suppose to be able to tow 10000lbs. (28000lb chassis)
The price and the deal are just too good to pass up even though I hate having payments again. So if you see me posting on how to get more ponys out the 5.9 cummins you will know that I am not satisfied. I want to thank all that responded to my topic...
Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Good luck with the new rig. Just remember, half the fun is improving the rig, so if you decide to tinker with it, I'm sure you'll have lots of help and suggestions.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:24 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe-K, if my man bates can't improve that new Tropi-Cal and the 5.9 ISB Cummins, no one can. Bagman57.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote