Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
In my previous life, I had been in "procurement" at some very high levels, so it's kind of ingrained in me to always check pricing. I have my 6-month maintenance coming up on my 2013 Phaeton. I downloaded the 2-pages of Freightliner maintenance requirements and sent it to 2 Freightliner dealers. One being Freightliner of Austin and the other is a Freightliner Oasis dealer. Freightliner of Austin quoted a ballpark of $3000.00 and the Oasis dealer quoted a price of $450.00 tops. Guess who I'm using !! The Oasis dealer is about a 2 hour drive.....but hey, for that much money, I have lots of time !

Hhg
Hhg, I just came back from Camp Freightliner in Gaffney earlier this month and we spent a tremendous amount of time on maintenance schedules, what was required for each type of chassis and configuration and how to manage the 1, 2, & 3 year schedule sheets and to mark them up BEFORE taking them to service center. This part of the class instructed us as to how to be knowledgable about the various maintenance components to prevent unnecessary work.

We basically skipped the 6 month requirements as most of the requirements were to check levels and conditions. None of the filters or fluid changes were required in the new chassis.

Looks like you gave the service centers a chance to use your "open" checkbook.
The class is well worth the $175 and will save you multiples of this amount down the road.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
HHg

Guys, several of you are real close. I sent both dealers the Freightliner document number 00-03, which is 2 pages that are very detailed as to what must be done. Steve is right, this is the 6 month maintenance, no tranny, no generator, no alignment, no fuel filters, pretty much engine oil and filter, lube and visually check the chassis. Both dealers were sent the same checklist. And, yes, I have had several other diesels, and have a good idea what to expect. The surprise was 3000 vs 450.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Steve,
I agree, they are being cautious but as I understand it, you then have a full 12 months thereafter. I think the theory is they want to get rid and any possible steel or "milling dust" floating in the oil within six months. Reminds me of the old theory of changing the oil after the new rings were set.
I agree the transmission fluid only needs to be checked. I am not sure about some of the smaller transmissions? The alignment is free if the axle's are out of spec, so it really is just insurance that everything is okay.
I will talk to Mike Cody at Camp Freightliner when I am there in April and get his take. Have a great Spring.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
HHg

I'm going to put this thread to rest. I called Gaffney and talked to Pat. She indicated they charge 450 for the 6-month service.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #19

Had mine done in Oct at Empire truck, Mobile Al.

Labor $420.00
Hypoid Axle Fluid $120.76 (Changeout)

Total $540.76

I hope to attend Campfreightliner next month.

Not to cause conflict, FCCC told me 6-month required, after I heard rumor at rally it wasn't. I would not want to fight warranty claim at month 8 if I didn't have it in writing.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
HHg

Hey Dancin,

You are absolutely right, if you want to keep your Freightliner warranty in force, they require a 6 & 12 month service and several other scheduled service intervals after that.

Hhg
Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hey Dancin,

You are absolutely right, if you want to keep your Freightliner warranty in force, they require a 6 & 12 month service and several other scheduled service intervals after that.

Hhg
Wow, I'm glad we haven't bought a new Dutch Star, you mean I'd actually have to follow the factory recommendations to keep the warranty in force. OHhhhhhhh.......the horror of it all!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #22

$450 for an oil and filter change is outrageous. Speedco can do it for less. Or even better I do my own. One does not have to go to a FL shop. as long as you use proper parts any truck shop can do those simple tasks. RV owners get sucked in all the time. Do you think that Swift Transport takes their 10,000+ tractors back to the dealer for simple servicing??
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hey Dancin,

Hhg
The very first maintenance is as stated, 6 months for fluid changes and nuts and bolts check along with alignment check, brake check and a lot of other things that do not specifically pertain to the engine fuids. A $1000+ is not unusual and depends on what they find. Some may be under warranty, or not.

For the ISB, both Cummins and Freightliner have come up with the 15,000 mile service, or 1 year - which ever comes first after the 6 month checkup.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #24

Didn't even get an oil change.

The following is not in the best format, but is the 6Month Schedule

Procedure Performed
(check off or initial) 6000 Mile (9654 km) or 6 Month Initial Maintenance* MOP
Reference
Inspect _______ Engine Drive Belt Inspecting 01–01
Check _______ Engine-Support Fasteners Checking 01–02
Change _______ Engine Oil and Filter (see the engine manufacturer’s manual) —
Inspect _______ Pacbrake Inspecting and Maintenance 01–03
Inspect _______ Air Cleaner Inspecting and Replacing 09–01
Inspect _______ Charge Air Cooler Inspecting and Cleaning (if cleaning is needed) 09–02
Check _______ Alternator, Battery, and Starter Checking 15–01
Inspect/
Check _______ Radiator (radiator cap, coolant freeze points, SCA levels, hose routing for
chaffing and leaks)
20–01, 20–02,
20–03
Change _______ Transmission Fluid and Filter (if required by Allison) 26–03
Inspect _______ Transmission Hose Routing for Chaffing and Leaks —
Lubricate _______ Throttle Pedal Pivot Pin Lubricating 30–01
Inspect _______ Suspension 32–01, 32–06
Check _______ Suspension Height Control Valve Checking 32–02
Lubricate _______ ZF IFS Lubricating 32–04
Check _______ Suspension U-Bolt Torque Checking 32–06
Lubricate _______ Knuckle Pin Lubricating 33–01
Lubricate _______ Tie-Rod End Lubricating and Inspecting 33–02
Check _______ All-Axle Alignment Checking 33–03
Check/
Lubricate _______ Wheel Bearing Removal, Cleaning, Checking, Repacking, and Adjusting 33–04
Check/
Change _______ Oil-Filled Hubs Oil Level Checking 33–05, 33–06
Check _______ Axle Seals for Leaks —
Change _______ Axle Lubricant Changing (Freightliner axle only) 35–02
Check _______ Axle Breather Checking 35–03
Check _______ Wheel Nut Checking 40–01
Check _______ Tire Pressure —
Lubricate _______ Driveline Inspecting and Lubricating 41–01
Inspect _______ Brake System Valves Inspecting 42–01
Inspect _______ Air Dryer and Air Lines for Proper Routing, Chaffing, and Leaks 42–02
Lubricate _______ Camshaft Bracket Bushing Lubricating 42–04
Lubricate _______ Slack Adjuster Lubricating 42–05
Lubricate _______ Foot Brake Valve Actuator Lubricating 42–06
Inspect _______ Bendix Hydro-Max® Brake System Inspecting (front-engine only) 42–07
Lubricate _______ Brake Caliper Slide Pin Lubricating, Bosch Brakes (front-engine diesel chassis) 42–08
Check _______ Brake Lines Checking, Hydraulic Disc or Air Brakes 42–09
00 General Information
6000 Mile or 6 Month Initial Maintenance: 00–03
00/6 Recreational Vehicle Chassis Maintenance Manual, January 2010
Procedure Performed
(check off or initial) 6000 Mile (9654 km) or 6 Month Initial Maintenance* MOP
Reference
Check _______ Brake Lining Wear Checking, Hydraulic Disc Brakes (front-engine only) 42-10
Inspect _______ Brake Inspecting (Air Brakes) 42–11
Drain _______ Air Tanks —
Lubricate _______ Drag Link Lubricating 46–01
Lubricate _______ Steering Driveline Lubricating 46–04
Lubricate _______ Steering Gear Lubricating 46–05
Change _______ Hydraulic Reservoir Filter Changing (metal reservoir only) 46–06
Inspect _______ Fuel Tank Mounts and Fuel Line Checking 47–01
Change _______ Fuel Filters —
Inspect _______ Exhaust System Inspecting 49–01
Check _______ Ground Cables Checking and Cleaning 54–01
Inspect _______ Air Conditioner Component Inspection 83–01
Customer†_________________________________________ __________ Date ________________
* Additional copies are available on the Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation website (Freightliner Custom Chassis).
† Your signature on this form indicates that you have reviewed and agree to the service items to be performed. Any items you wish to exclude should be indicated
with a "no" to the left of that service item.
General Information 00
6000 Mile or 6 Month Initial Maintenance: 00–03
Recreational Vehicle Chassis Maintenance Manual, January 2010 00/7
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
HHg

Mr. D. be a smart a_ _......

Hhg
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my meritor axle does not have a 6 month fluid change

are you sure you have a freightliner axle?

i added the last pdf i received from Fl

lots of foot notes on page 13
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Recreational Vehicle Chassis Maintenance Manual[1].pdf (1.53 MB, 59 views)
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #27

This is beyond ridiculous. What could possibly be the logic for replacing an air filter @ 6000 miles. If that were the case then the air filter should be changed every 6 months. Changing the oil in oil packed hubs @ 6 months is also strange. This is just FL pumping up a minor inspection to many thousands of$$ I doubt any of the componenet mfrs. have those procedures in your manuals. So if you do not lubricate the throttle pedal are they going to void your warranty? The engine warranty is not from FL. It is from Cummins. Same with the tranny. There is very little in that 6 month check that if missed would void any warranties. I can understand having the first maintemance done by FL but not at those prices. When our last FL chassis was new I had Cummins change the oil and do a lube. After that I did them all myself. Never had any major warranty issues but the small ones were done by FL @ no cost.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #28

Quote:
In my previous life, I had been in "procurement" at some very high levels, so it's kind of ingrained in me to always check pricing. I have my 6-month maintenance coming up on my 2013 Phaeton. I downloaded the 2-pages of Freightliner maintenance requirements and sent it to 2 Freightliner dealers. One being Freightliner of Austin and the other is a Freightliner Oasis dealer. Freightliner of Austin quoted a ballpark of $3000.00 and the Oasis dealer quoted a price of $450.00 tops. Guess who I'm using !! The Oasis dealer is about a 2 hour drive.....but hey, for that much money, I have lots of time !

Hhg
I just had my service done at Freightliner (Gaffney SC). They used the 6000 Mile or 6 Month Initial Maintenance: 00-03 checklist. The cost for this part of the service was $450.00 (5 hrs labor @ $90). Total invoice which included generator service, parts, oil, shop supplies, tax, etc. was $626.60. They did not change the air cleaner, it states inspect and replace, the replace was crossed out because it did not need replacing. They changed the engine oil/filter and axle lube but only the trans filter and both fuel filters. I also had the ride height checked and adjusted as well as alignment (toe-in out of adjustment).
HHg, I am very pleased with the service I got at the Gaffney facility and the value received. I would be happy to email you a copy of my service documents just send me a PM with your email address.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote