Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A Couple Issues

I posted this on the Winnebago/Itasca forum but only got one possibly related response. I hope it's permissible to post it here, as well.

Recently returned from about a five day trip. The ambient temps were over 100 degrees each day. I noticed when stopping for a few hours the air bags would lose air. This isn't typical for my coach, usually takes more than a week of sitting before the coach starts to drop a little. I'm wondering if the warm weather caused it? Back home, temps below 80 and it's been a couple weeks and the coach is just now starting to drop a little, so I don't think it's anything permanant. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Second problem has me more curious, maybe a little worried. After spending the night somewhere and using jacks, I've noticed some shuddering when driving away. I go easy, no jack rabbit starts and it always evens out within maybe 200-300 feet, but it seems like a problem. I'm thinking some part of the drivetrain isn't quite lined up or something. Maybe a u-joint or whatever, I just don't know. Yes, the jacks are fully retracted, brake released, of course. I just don't know what it would be. Any ideas or others experienced this? It's a 2003 Itasca Horizon, 32TD on a Freightliner chassis, 300hp Cummins, Allison 3000 6 speed, auto.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Your air bags shouldn't leak any air at any time. If they do, you probably have a pin-hole leak in one of the plastic air lines or one of the connections. This would explain why, when the temperature is warmer, that you lose air faster. The plastic lines are pretty rigid but when they get hot enough, they become softer and this would allow air to escape a small pin hole more quickly. On a previous MOHO we owned that had Firestone air bags, I had a similar problem. I sprayed soapy water on all the air lines and found one that had a very small leak (it bubbled up with the soapy water applied). I spliced the line at the point of the leak and had no further problems and the bags would remain fully iinflated for months. Anyway, it's probably not anything serious and unless you're as anal as I am about how things work on my RV, you probably don't need to worry about it.

Regarding the "shuddering," I suspect that you are experiencing a problem with your U-joints and/or the expansion joint on the drive shaft. Make sure that the grease zirks are not plugged or damaged and that your U-joints and the expansion joint are getting a full load of grease when you lube them. If you continue to run with insufficient grease in the joints, it can cause failure. I hope this helps you identify the problem and find a resulution.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

You might check or have the ride height checked. Since the driveshaft is so short on DP's it makes it more critical to keep the ride height in tolerance.

I agree with keeping the U-joints and driveshaft well greased to minimize shudder.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #4

Just wondering, are you inflating your air bags before you take off? I forgot to inflat ours once and gto a similar "shuddering" for a short time, then all was normal. The air bags will autmoatically inflat after a wqhile even if you don't inflat them first.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Just wondering, are you inflating your air bags before you take off? I forgot to inflat ours once and gto a similar "shuddering" for a short time, then all was normal. The air bags will autmoatically inflat after a wqhile even if you don't inflat them first.
Yeah, I'm always sure the pressure is up before I drive off. On my coach it's automatic. As soon as you start the engine the pressure starts to build. During that time an alarm is sounding until the pressure gets up. It seems the concensus is lube the driveshaft. I'll get on that. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #6

I always go out and check that the bags are inflated. After I break camp and am ready to go the bags are the last thing to inflate a few minutes after the warning horn quits blaring.
Plane nutty is offline   Reply With Quote