Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
ABS light on dash lit up

My 2002 freightliner Cat 330 combo had the ABS dash ABS light come on.

I pulled in to the Erenburg AZ. FlyingJ for a fill up after a days drive and pulled out with the ABS light lit up on the dash.
I pulled over twice, shut down, restarted and it remained on.
I pulled into an RV park about a mile away to make an early stop for the day.
Chacked in, restarted to go to my spot and rolled aboutg 20 feet or so and the light went out,
What do ya think???
My brakes have been perfect for the last 1500 miles or so since I left home.
I did have to use my retarder extensivly for about 2 miles or so about 2 hours previusly, but had a lunch stop after that and all was OK.

RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
First thing to is check the sensor connections. If that does not fix it remove and clean each sensor. Your brakes will continue to work as they should except if you were to get into a panic stop situation. The ABS is there to keep you from skidding and having one wheel lock up.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Brian

If the problem continues I will do just that. gonna be home next week so it will be easy to take care of and wont spoil the rest of my trip if it does come back on.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you call 1-800-FTL-HELP? I think it would be worth a call. If you can't get through to a 24/7 tec, leave a message. They are 100% on call backs. They might give you some clues to chase down.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Same thing happened to me this past winter and I have a post on it somewhere here. Bottom line was driving in the rain had coated the sensors and cause the light to come on. Your manual will cover this possibility. Mine actually cleared up on their own without having to remove the sensors for cleaning.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: Workhorse? Bosch brake system? here is why I ask

I have (Well had) the same problem.. Folks kept saying "Clean the sensors" finally in another thread either here or in another forum someone posted photos.

Turns out to be an easy job. other than a cleanign rag no tools needed

Now... When I start the engine, the ABS comes on for 20 seconds, goes off, and stays off, Just like it's supposed to.

There are a host of other possible causes too, Blown brake light fuse, Burned out brake lights, Bad brake light switch, to list a few.

So before you even crawl under with a rag.. Make sure the brake lights work normally
Old 06-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just happened to me this weekend. Rained like crazy. Glad this forum is around to find answers.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Bigstonebay

It was a one time thing with me. It has never re occurred.

Dont know really what to say, except that it wont hurt to go ahead a drive it, maybe when all dries out from the rain you will be OK.

Give it a day or two.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #9

My previous motorhome had the same problem - The light would come on then "fix" itself until finally it stayed on. It turned out to be a dirty sensor on the right front. I cleaned the sensors when I had the drums off to lube th S Cams and fixed it permanently.
Ron
Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #10

ABS Fault

Hi, I have a 2007 Revolution with a pesky ABS fault. I picked up the coach in CA and didn't get 8 miles from the dealer and the ABS fault light and check engine fault came on the dash. Called the dealer and he said that happens all the time. "Just keep driving and it'll go off". What he didn't know was that the exhaust brake doesn't work when the ABS doesn't work. A hundred miles of white knuckle driving down the Sierra-Nevada mountains with no exhaust brake is not fun. Finally got an appointment at the heavy truck dealer, but by the time I got there (sure enough) the lights had gone off. About 200 miles of driving occurred since they came on. They did a scan and check connections but couldn't find a problem. We continued on our drive home of 2500 miles without any other issues. So, the coach is parked for about 3 weeks in the storage lot and the lights come back on (never even moved it!). After reading the above posts, I was able to clean the front wheel sensors and check the ohms (1200 at all locations) but couldn't get to the rear sensors on the 20,000 lb axle. I could see where the wires went into the backing plate on the drum, but the sensor itself was not accessible like the fronts were. Does anyone out there have experience with this problem? Many thanks in advance. Dave
Old 08-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportech View Post
Hi, I have a 2007 Revolution with a pesky ABS fault. I picked up the coach in CA and didn't get 8 miles from the dealer and the ABS fault light and check engine fault came on the dash. Called the dealer and he said that happens all the time. "Just keep driving and it'll go off". What he didn't know was that the exhaust brake doesn't work when the ABS doesn't work. A hundred miles of white knuckle driving down the Sierra-Nevada mountains with no exhaust brake is not fun. Finally got an appointment at the heavy truck dealer, but by the time I got there (sure enough) the lights had gone off. About 200 miles of driving occurred since they came on. They did a scan and check connections but couldn't find a problem. We continued on our drive home of 2500 miles without any other issues. So, the coach is parked for about 3 weeks in the storage lot and the lights come back on (never even moved it!). After reading the above posts, I was able to clean the front wheel sensors and check the ohms (1200 at all locations) but couldn't get to the rear sensors on the 20,000 lb axle. I could see where the wires went into the backing plate on the drum, but the sensor itself was not accessible like the fronts were. Does anyone out there have experience with this problem? Many thanks in advance. Dave
Just had mine fixed. My advice is to find a shop that can hook up a code reader to your MH. This will eliminate the need to pull both drums off. After determining which sensor was bad, they pulled that drum and replaced the sensor. All is right now.

2000 Wrangler Sahara
ddz1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update on mine. 2 months later and the light is still on. When engine first starts the light flashes 8 times, pauses and flashes once. It does this about 10 cycles and then stays on. Had one HD mechanic check and was told the drums would have to come off to get to the sensor. So far FCC has not been able to tell me what the "code" means but said to go ahead and drive it. Interesting comment about the exhaust brake not working. My works but doesn't seem to have the same slowing effect. Any ideas out there?