Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #1

Adding Air Horns

Any one install air horns on a M.H. that has air as in air brakes I can tap into the manifold but now just electric car -truck horns.I have a set of Hadley horns they are mounted and I can make them work with a small compressor from cheep plastic air horns But not as they should no volume of air. Is there a way to use the main air supply like a selanoid that will open and close with a power up of the horn button? Where would I find one and what would You call it.Any ideas? Bushman
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Since you already have a high volume air supply on your motorhome, the installation of air horns is pretty easy. All you need to purchase is the horns, and a air solenoid valve. The valve is an electrically operated normally closed valve that opens temporarily whenever 12VDC is applied to it. You can take your existing horn wires and connect them directly to the solenoid valve. Supply air to the valve input, and connect the output of the valve to the air horns and your're set.

There is a variety of valves available, but it will look something like this and can be purchased at any truck supply store or online.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought my air horns at http://www.airhorns.com/

The contact was very helpful and set me all of the parts that I would need including the solenoid. On our RV, there is an air manifold on the "firewall" behind the genset and directly in front of the driver's postion, though I didn't recognize it as part of the air system at first. I had to remove a plug with an Allen wrench and put the tap that came with the horns in its place. I used to existing wiring for the useless horn and installed a switch so that I could blow either horn from the horn ring on the steering wheel.
I mounted the horns on a bracket behind the grill and they have worked great there for 3 years.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #4

Air Horns are waiting....

Well to find a S.Valve I will call around to some shops to day.The hunt is on Thanks for the Information I sure find most people share there knowlidge and that is great.Again Thank You ..Bushman
Old 05-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #5

Air Horns working.........

Well $23.00 for a s.valve and 10min.to install We are ready to blow our own horn...Wow sounds great just thought I would share and say thanks for the ideas....Bushman
Old 07-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #6

Busman. I to have just installed an air horn. When I tied into the stock horns wiring they wont work just the stock horn. I have 2 wires going to the stock horn 1 is white and 1 is black. With one did you tie into.
If I put 12 volts to the solenoid they will work.
I have a 1999 Winne.

Thanks Don and Barb

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcloud7 View Post
Busman. I to have just installed an air horn. When I tied into the stock horns wiring they wont work just the stock horn. I have 2 wires going to the stock horn 1 is white and 1 is black. With one did you tie into.
If I put 12 volts to the solenoid they will work.
I have a 1999 Winne.

Thanks Don and Barb
You use both wires the 1 is hot and the 1 is ground hooked to the solenoid (I have no old horn any more)..just the air hooked up...test the wires to ground with a tester light if hot it will light up or if one is black go to black on the valve and white to white be sure of a good tight conection seal out water also than blow the horn should work for You with the horn button.... John The Bushman
Old 07-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #8

Thanks Bushman. I will try it today again. I tested the wire and the white was hot. When I hooked it all up I got nothing. Will try again.

Thanks Don and Barb

Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcloud7 View Post
Thanks Bushman. I will try it today again. I tested the wire and the white was hot. When I hooked it all up I got nothing. Will try again.

Thanks Don and Barb
Don Have Your helper press the horn for You oh did You have the key on some are wired that way just a thought.No key no horn so kids can't play with our toys...LOL...John the Bushman
Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #10

Thanks Bushman. I got it working. It was a bad connection. Works now.

Thanks Don and Barb