Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #1

After dash recall - odometer reset to 0

So I know I can find the 'real' mileage by hitting the info button with the key on.
but this only works when the engine isn't running.
I took it back to frieghtliner as I thought they could sync these two settings back up.

A bit of background, when I first had this recall done the tech somehow hosed up 2 of my idiot lights. When I went to get the rig I had 2 white squares where the intake heater and service symbols used to be.
I complained, they said we didn't do it... ok so it's 6 months old can it be warrantied ? they loved that idea and replaced the dash.

fast forward to my next visit... they claim that the dash would have to be removed and sent to 'someone' to sync the 2 odometers up. ( to prevent fraud according to them )

Has anyone been successful in getting the odometer you see when driving reset to match the 'other' internal mileage ?

I know I read someone else that had the odometer reset after this recall,
can't find that thread.

Thanks
Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Using the search box with the Google logo I got quite a few threads about Freighliner odometer reset issues.

https://www.google.com/search?q=frei...earch=irv2.com

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #3

thanks for that...
Didn't think to search OUTSIDE of Irv2
Old 11-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
thanks for that...
Didn't think to search OUTSIDE of Irv2
That search is INSIDE the iRV2 forum unless you set it to search all of Google.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

So I have yet to find a fix. The only one that might have been fixed had to be sent away for a time.
Nobody has been able to get this done?
Old 11-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
So I have yet to find a fix. The only one that might have been fixed had to be sent away for a time.
Nobody has been able to get this done?
On the multiple threads I scanned, most found the same you stated. Freightliner can't do it in the garage, they have to send it out. It's not an honest garage's job, it would be too easy to 'roll-back' the odometer.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
On the multiple threads I scanned, most found the same you stated. Freightliner can't do it in the garage, they have to send it out. It's not an honest garage's job, it would be too easy to 'roll-back' the odometer.
How could the odometer be rolled back any more than it already is !

They apparently can't touch the stored mileage and hours setting ( thankfully ).

Since they can install it with 0 miles on the odometer display and keep the 'real' setting, I would think they could modify that setting to display correctly.

Had I known what a pain this would be I would have never done the recall.
I had no issues with my dash before this.
Now I have to constantly remember to add 4532 miles to the number I'm looking at....

At least the Frieghtliner service center could have told me this would happen.

Not a fan of the level of detail from Frieghtliner at this point.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Seems to me that since the issue is a result of the recall, you're covered to get it made right. They offered to send out the dash out and have the odometer corrected. I'd let them do that and go from there.

Lots of Federal regulations involved in 'messing' with odometer readings, it could very well be that it's illegal for a shop to do what you need or have that function on their computer. A central location can keep records of how many times odometer has been repaired, replaced, or reset. As I mentioned earlier, many threads speak of just this same action to correct odometer readings.

Let Freightliner do as they wanted (send the unit off for reset) and see if it resolves the issue.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #9

So I didn't really get an offer from Frieghtliner ( of Az. anyways ) to ship off the dash.
Just some vague " we would have to remove the dash and send it off " kind of statement, no how long that would take and if the RV would be usable during that time.

I think if a recall is needed these type of issue should have already had a resolution in place.

I got the feeling not many of these have been done at my Frieghtliner shop, I'm sure they have done many, but I didn't get a warm fuzzy from them.

My next stop will be contacting frieghtliner directly.
Thanks for the replies.
Bruce
Old 12-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
So I didn't really get an offer from Frieghtliner ( of Az. anyways ) to ship off the dash.
Just some vague " we would have to remove the dash and send it off " kind of statement, no how long that would take and if the RV would be usable during that time.

I think if a recall is needed these type of issue should have already had a resolution in place.

I got the feeling not many of these have been done at my Frieghtliner shop, I'm sure they have done many, but I didn't get a warm fuzzy from them.

My next stop will be contacting frieghtliner directly.
Thanks for the replies.
Bruce
What you quoted them telling you sounds an awful lot like what you claim they didn't offer. A question of clarification or two would have pinned it down. The fact that your vehicle will be sidelined for a period of time is an inconvenience, but when you go to sell it, it could mean money as no title issues or bad CarFax reports. If you need the vehicle, ask them to install a 'loaner' dash while your new one is being serviced, expedited shipping and a finite turn around time.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
What you quoted them telling you sounds an awful lot like what you claim they didn't offer. A question of clarification or two would have pinned it down. The fact that your vehicle will be sidelined for a period of time is an inconvenience, but when you go to sell it, it could mean money as no title issues or bad CarFax reports. If you need the vehicle, ask them to install a 'loaner' dash while your new one is being serviced, expedited shipping and a finite turn around time.
So there was alot more conversations before I picked up the rig that I neglected to relate here. The above mentioned conversation was in the parking lot as I was taking back possession of the rig.

I guess I will stop now, frieghtliner is the best at recalls, I'm clearly not cut out to own such a fine rig. I expect to much...
Thanks for all your time
Bruce
Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't think you expect too much, but even the best companies sometimes fall short of good service. They need to be reminded of this.

I bought a 2016 Subaru Forester in November 2015. I like it and have no issues except with the navigation system. I inquired about updating it, they wanted to charge me $54. I did a bit of searching, found a December 2015 press release saying "all 2016 Subaru models with navigation got 3 years free update." I bought the car one month before the press release. I inquired about this, was told my navigation system wasn't subject to free updates. I didn't have an option when I bought the vehicle, it was the only nav system offered from the factory in a 2016 Forester. Contacting Subaru Customer Relations, I was told to pay for the update and I'd get reimbursed by Subaru. I did so and got a check in the mail last week. I also got a 'Thank you' package in the mail, a Bric travel bag. ($225 retail) The only issue I have is that next year I'll probably have to jump through these hoops again for another map update.

Keep on them! You took the vehicle in for a recall, you didn't ask to have the odometer reset. They should make it right.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
Commercial Member

bruce, when you have a problem that seems to b e getting out of hand, your best bet is to contact the mfg. they dont want a dealer telling you something different from their normal policy. the fact that the dash has to be sent off to be repaired is a given. no dealer ive met has the capability or the authorization to modify an odometer. even freight liner would have to have the mfg of the dash module authorize and record the resetting of mileage.
either the dealer, or you can handle the removal and shipping of the module.
i dont believe you have excessive expectations, but sometimes persistence
is what is needed. the cost of your coach does not read in to doing what is right.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #14

I still have yet to contact freightliner directly, hope fully in the next day or so.

I didn't expect different service ( or less service ) due to the cost of the coach.
I can't imagine all the M2 chassis that have this issue being all reset to 0 !

Seems like BEFORE they started doing the recall frieghtliner would have worked out a solution to this issue ( that's my main 'issue' ).

thanks again for the replies.
Bruce

Tags
dash, recall