Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #1

do you use your air (exhaust) brakes all the time or use them when needing an assist and turn them on and off........any harm in that??????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #2

do you use your air (exhaust) brakes all the time or use them when needing an assist and turn them on and off........any harm in that??????
Old 09-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #3

03 Corvette,

I have a MB engine which has a two stage engine/exhaust brake, and I use it in all the ways you describe. Sometimes on, sometimes off, intermittenly, one stage or two stage. It should present no harm to do all the above. The frequency that you use it DOES help the mechanism of the exhaust brake stay free and working in between lubrication periods.

It is also recommended that you turn it off occassionally so that you DO use the service brakes in all levels of pressure to keep them working well.

Additionally, you had a question about your LBCU, display center. It is different from the others that are being discussed. Yours has a wealth of information available, very similiar to a Trip-Tek, and it came with the coach .

To set time, after you get it on the normal display, after the check list, hold the toggle button to the right until it shows the setup screen listing, maintenance, clock/set, diagnostics. Move to the clock set, toggle it and keep going. I think you will find it rather easy after you get to the clock set screen.

Let me know if you need further info and I'll give you page numbers in the maual that will walk you through it.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I almost always leave mine on. Between the twisty 2 lane roads and mountains of Southern Oregon it really helps me maintain control.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #5

I rarely turn it off I also use it manually at times

Davie Fla
Hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #6

Use mine virtually all the time but added an aftermarket "brake switch" for easier control.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #7

Chief, can you describe the brake switch more? My '04 Meridian has the dash switch as I imagine yours does. What does the after market switch add?
thx

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 AM   #8

The Brake Switch works pretty much the same way the LATCH mode does, as programmed by CAT.

Engine brake switch on:
Cruise on - no engine brake until you touch the brakes.
Cruise off - engine brake comes on when you let off the accelerator petal.

I keep my Engine brake switch on all the time, and manage the use of the engine brake thru the cruise control button. I generally keep the cruise switch on, and if I want to engage the engine brake, I simply switch off the cruise.

In both cases, if you step on the brake petal, the engine brake will engage.

If the Engine Brake switch is off, obviously the engine brake will not engage at all.

I had to have CAT reprogram the operation of the engine brake to the LATCH mode, as it did not come standard this way. They did not charge me.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote