Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Just FYI, .. the AF1 was bought out Demco recently and while they try their best to support the product, it is nothing like the original owners/inventors of AF1. I recently spent about 3 weeks troubleshooting my install with the "new guys", finally found a way on my own to isolate the issue. They made it good with a replacement part under warranty.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
SMI Air Force One
I have it, just not installed yet.
Be careful installing the anchor for the brake cylinder in the floorboard of the toad! I had a SMI qualified shop do mine, and they screwed right into the car's vacuum booster! Cost them about 5 large to fix all the damage that occured!
Drill a small pilot hole, then use a wire to see how much room is behind it for the screw.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Be careful installing the anchor for the brake cylinder in the floorboard of the toad! I had a SMI qualified shop do mine, and they screwed right into the car's vacuum booster! Cost them about 5 large to fix all the damage that occured!

Drill a small pilot hole, then use a wire to see how much room is behind it for the screw.

I found the sheet metal screw supplied was really not adequate. I installed a machine screw with washers and a nut. Does require access to the backside though.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No access to the backside on this car. I'm guessing about 1/4" from the firewall to the brake booster.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:08 AM   #19

I put there M&G braking on the Jeep and tapped into a manifold on the FL chassis for the air supply. I also got the M&G breakaway part and it has it's own reservoir for the emergency braking. Air is supplied by the coach and check valves hold it in the tank. I looked at the AF1 but liked the M&G better and happy with that choice. Only issue I have is the pressure leaks down on the Jeep overnight so when I first start there is no power brake boost. Quickly powers up and stays that way driving. Some day when I'm really bored I may chase the issue.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I put there M&G braking on the Jeep and tapped into a manifold on the FL chassis for the air supply. I also got the M&G breakaway part and it has it's own reservoir for the emergency braking. Air is supplied by the coach and check valves hold it in the tank. I looked at the AF1 but liked the M&G better and happy with that choice. Only issue I have is the pressure leaks down on the Jeep overnight so when I first start there is no power brake boost. Quickly powers up and stays that way driving. Some day when I'm really bored I may chase the issue.
Just a thought, while at the International rally last year I asked the AF1 installer which brake he thought was the best and his comment was somewhat surprising, he said that he felt the M&G was the best design but it would not fit many installations due to the way it mounted on the master cylinder. So because it was limited in application and was not a one fits all and may not be able to be move to a new toad he choose AF!. For what it is worth I heard M&G now produces a unit similar to AF1
Old 04-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The original Air Force One system tied into your brake can. This was really an easy way to attach. In the past few years...DOT said that was a no, no. When attached to a brake can, if the line broke, there was no stopping the air.

The new Air Force One uses an entire new assembly that has to be bolted to the frame and taps into several brake lines. If it breaks, it seals itself.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #22

AF1

Yes we have the air tank that mounts on the frame.
Just a small reserve tank to help prevent air loss to the coach brakes.
And there is a breakaway, so you don't lose air in case something unwanted happens.
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
No it is not supplied by Freightliner. It would be supplied by the manufacturer of whichever supplemental brake system you choose.
Spartan had a kit available that was federally approved and the MH owner was supposed to buy and have it installed. Cost some 10 years ago was anout $450. I never bought it and just connected direct into the brake system for my RoadMaster BrakeMaster system.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I put there M&G braking on the Jeep and tapped into a manifold on the FL chassis for the air supply. I also got the M&G breakaway part and it has it's own reservoir for the emergency braking. Air is supplied by the coach and check valves hold it in the tank. I looked at the AF1 but liked the M&G better and happy with that choice.
Same type system the BrakeMaster uses. The reservoir is pretty leak proof on it as I quit using the vehicle I had it installed on and months later the reservoir was still pressurized.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
Does Freightliner factory install a connection for the towed to hook up to air brakes. If not do they sell a kit.
This taken from the Air Force One website (emphasis added):

Air Force One uses an approved air tap in method so you will not affect the warranty on your air brakes– meeting all chassis warranty guidelines including Spartan (per Mike O'Neil) and Freightliner (per Tony Sipple). DOT and FMVSS (Federal Vehicle Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) #121 require supplemental brake systems to have a separate air tank (ping tank) and a separate valve to control the supplemental system. All other air brake systems take air off of the rear wheels to apply the supplemental brake which not only takes the coach out of DOT specification, but can impact your warranty. Only Air Force One meets the regulations and only Air Force One includes everything you need.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
This taken from the Air Force One website (emphasis added):

Air Force One uses an approved air tap in method so you will not affect the warranty on your air brakes– meeting all chassis warranty guidelines including Spartan (per Mike O'Neil) and Freightliner (per Tony Sipple). DOT and FMVSS (Federal Vehicle Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) #121 require supplemental brake systems to have a separate air tank (ping tank) and a separate valve to control the supplemental system. All other air brake systems take air off of the rear wheels to apply the supplemental brake which not only takes the coach out of DOT specification, but can impact your warranty. Only Air Force One meets the regulations and only Air Force One includes everything you need.
Sounds like we made the right choice.
Glad to hear that.
Thanks.
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #27

Just a thought.
If the toad air brake line is tapped into the air brake system on the coach and there is a leak in the line directly to the toad which causes the system pressure to go down, locking up the rear brakes, what is the difference if a leak occurs in the air lines directly feeding the air brakes? Would not both incidents cause a loss of air and application of the rear brakes?
Comments.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
Just a thought.
If the toad air brake line is tapped into the air brake system on the coach and there is a leak in the line directly to the toad which causes the system pressure to go down, locking up the rear brakes, what is the difference if a leak occurs in the air lines directly feeding the air brakes? Would not both incidents cause a loss of air and application of the rear brakes?
Comments.
Regards,
JimB
That is the reason a ping tank is required by Spartan and Freightliner, However I believe that the air line to the toad is only a 1/4 inch and I don't believe that would drain the system even if it was completely cut. Just my opinion and I could be wrong

Tags
air, brake, tow