Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #1

When trying to use the in dash air conditioning, the compressor does not come on. I suspect there is a fuse somewhere for it but so far, I have not found it. There is a fuse panel in the front outside of my 2000 Chieftain with 16 fuses in it but I have not found any info on what the fuses are for. I am told in the book that there is another fuse panel inside but again, no info as to what fuse is what.
I have looked through the wiring diagrams but have come up empty handed.
Does anyone have any helpful info on this?

Thanks,

Matt
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #2

When trying to use the in dash air conditioning, the compressor does not come on. I suspect there is a fuse somewhere for it but so far, I have not found it. There is a fuse panel in the front outside of my 2000 Chieftain with 16 fuses in it but I have not found any info on what the fuses are for. I am told in the book that there is another fuse panel inside but again, no info as to what fuse is what.
I have looked through the wiring diagrams but have come up empty handed.
Does anyone have any helpful info on this?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-19-2006, 06:19 AM   #3

Is it a diesel or gas Chieftain.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:29 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply Bill.
My unit is a diesel and appears to be the same unit you have.
I just purchased mine this past Feb and have been working to get some of the small and not so small problems fixed.
It was originally popping the CB that controls the in dash fan and air only when using AC.
I replaced the 25A CB and thought everything was working ok. I may have been mistaken since the outside air temp was chilly at the time of testing.
I tried to use the air cond on our last trip out and it did not pop the CB but then I noticed that the compressor was not working either.
I suspect a fuse and will try to work on it this weekend.

Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Old 04-20-2006, 06:51 AM   #5

I had the same problem, only the fans were not working for the condenseor.I had to replace both fans due to road grime, been working since.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Matt,

Just a couple general thoughts. The A/C compressor will have a couple other controls that need to be checked. Usually there are two separate switches in series with the compressor clutch. There will be a high and low pressure cutoff switches designed to interupt the current flow to the compressor clutch in the event the head pressure gets to high (high pressure cutoff) and also if the system becomes low on freon (low pressure cutoff)

Are you confident that the system has a refrigerant charge? It may be low which is causing the low pressure cutoff to open up. The low pressure switch should be on the suction side lines feeding the compressor and can be checked with an ohmmeter or by momentarily jumpering the connector on the switch.

I've recharged a couple systems that seemed to have refridgerant when checked at the schrader, but wern't quite high enough to close the low pressure cutoff.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. I will tinker with it a little this weekend before trying to find someone who will fix it.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:56 AM   #8

Joe,
You were correct! The T-Stat switch was not working. I bypassed it temporarily and the compressor comes on. I will get one and replace it myself. Unit does not cool well so may have other problems.
Oh well, one thing at a time.
It would be very helpful to have some electrical diagrams that covered the Freightliner chasis.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
PDB

Go out to the WinnebagoIndustries site and you'll find all the schematics and plumbing diagrams.

The problem I ran into was, altho I could trace the prob on the schematic, there is nothing that relates to physical location. So, when you find a component on the schematic and it could be anywhere from under the dash to behind the rear bumper.

But it helps.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:43 AM   #10

Thanks for your reply PDB.
I did download all the info I could from the website and printed it out.
You are correct in that on many connections, you can only guess and try to trace the wires.
The fuse panels are apparantly considered part of the Freightliner chasis and are not included in the material on the website nor in the books that came with the unit.
I was hoping someone here had run across the info from Freightliner and could share it.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:36 AM   #11
PDB

Matt, I have a copy of the FL schematics. It is an Adobe PDF files about 900mb in size.
I can email it to you if you like.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:40 AM   #12

Thanks Paul!

I sent you an email.

Matt