RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Since my coach is now 5 years old I made the call that it is time to service the air dryer. I searched here and other places on the internet and cannot find any postings on my type of air dryer which is a Purest Haldex. The Haldex air dryers I find directions for on the internet are all spin on filters. What I have is a large metal can bolted to the dryer with 4 bolts. Has anyone serviced this type of unit? Whatís involved? Need part numbers/ whatís in the kit?

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Update: I called Freightliner with the last 6 of vin. They say I need a DQ6050 kit.

Has anyone installed the DQ6050 kit yet?

Old 01-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
bdpreece: The DQ6050kit contains specific installation instructions. This is the information for the PURest Air Dryer.
Here

Hope this helps
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hooligan, thank you for the information. I have ordered the kit and it is supposed to be here tomorrow. It is funny that no Freightliner facility in oregon had it but NAPA could get it out of their warehouse in Seattle and have it here in the morning.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #5

I changed mine about a year ago, or rather helped my mechanic do it. Gaffney says they do it without removing the whole dryer from the coach but it looked like the posibility of getting a lot of dirt in it by doing this. The hardest part was getting the two air lines disconnected from the dryer to remove it from the coach, which one of mine would not come loose. So between the two of us, we removed the 3 bolts holding the dryer to the bracket and did the filter changing under the coach. This was definitely a two man job doing it that way. The easiest way would sure be getting the two air lines loose then everything could be changed out on the work bench. Good luck.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 01-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have removed the entire unit from the coach and have it all cleanded up. Everything came off without a problem. Just waiting for the parts.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #7

bdpreece - How did you get the air hose loose that uses the push-pull slip type connection? I was told all you had to do was to push on the ring at the connection then while holding in that position pull the hose out. I tried that but it was stuck so hard nothing would move and I was afraid I would ruin the hose if I used any more force. The other hose could be removed with a crescent wrench.
If I couldn't get it loose this time I undoubtedly won't the next 3 years but it will be worth a try.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about push pull connectors. My freightliner chassis was built in late 2003. All I had to do to remove the entire unit was remove 3 lines which all had what I would call connections similar to fuel lines. The smallest took a 9/16 wrench the other two were too large for any wrench I had so I used slip jaw pliers. On reassembly I cleaned each connection and used pipe joint compound for sealer. I ran all the checks and all seems ok.