Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Air Dryer

I would like to change the air dryer filter on my 08 Excursion 40X. Does anyone know the location of the air dryer filter? Any information about this is appreciated. This unit has the Freighliner chassis with the Cummins 360 power plant.
PatrickMc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You can sign up on the Freightliner website, for your particular vin number. Once authorized, you'll be able to look at the schematics and identify where everything is.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

Patrickoc1
Changing out the air dryer canister is about a six. HALEDEX is the unit on our coach. Have changed out the filter element twice. Look for air lines leading to a unit that looks like a cooking pot. Suggest that looking on Youtube will give you some idea of what is involved. Also the website for HALEDEX.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:32 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
On my 2000 XC chassis the Haldex air dryer is between the transmission and the rear axle on the driver side. I most cases you can purchase a kit to service the air dryer or purchase a new dryer. The first time I serviced my dryer at 52,000 miles and six years I purchased the kit. Last week I serviced my dryer for the second time at 125,000 miles and 10 years from the first service. Again I purchased the kit. While trying to remove the brass pressure relief valve it broke and pieces entered the dryer so I purchase a new dryer. Now the service kit is on eBay. I feel it is much easier to remove the dryer and serviced it on a workbench. The Haldex service kit came with excellent instructions. Haldex recommends servicing my model air dryer every 18 months.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #5

How did your filter look after 10 years & 73K miles?
lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
It was hard to tell the status of the desiccate filter since it is much like an oil filter. On the other hand the coalescing filter was very oilly at the base. The old dryer was working fine however the new dryer allows the system to air up much faster.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #7

Suspect Bendix and Haldex dryers are some what different but depending on location and accessibility--these beasties are not easy to service--remove and bench work is easiest. Oil in and around the relief valve is not a bad sign--means: 1- its doing its job; and 2- a lot of oil means your air compressor is suspect. Had a good discussion with a Bendix factory rep several years ago--unless there is water or oil collecting in your reserve tank, your dryer is fine. There is some concern that the filter could rupture internally with age so replacement at some interval is probably good--but every 18 months on a motor home--probably not!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote