Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air Filter on Cat C7

Just had my air filter changed out at FL and the 2 clamps holding the filter broke due to rust. (This is a new to me '07 Meridian 34H and there is a lot of rust.) Mech said they really aren't needed as it is clamped at both ends. Had him order new clamps but here's my question: Do I need them to be installed before my next trip?

The last thing I want is the filter to break free. Not sure how much vibration is involved but it seems to me if FL installed Clamps around the filter canister then there must have been a reason.

Your input is greatly appreciated. I've learned so much from iRV2 over the last couple of years and know I'll be expanding my knowledge even more as I get used to my DP.

Have a blessed day!
rrtribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
In the mean time I would use 2 good heavy bungy ? cords to hold things in place for the trip.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #3

Your assumption is correct. No manufacturers install ANYTHING that’s not needed. The clamps are there for a reason. The OPINION of the tech that replaced your air cleaner is different than the teams opinions at Freighter who, originally installed everything.

So, in the mean time, I’d at least either wrap the boots with wire and twist the ends to make things tight or, use as many larger zip ties as needed to do the same.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the large hose clamps on each hose end. the clamps that broke are the 2 that go around the large filter canister.
Going to contact them tomorrow to see if the replacement straps are in and get it scheduled for installation.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
You can fabricate tremporary straps using metal strapping (comes in a roll, is flexible, has holes every inch or so and can be bought in most hardware stores), Run it around the mounting bracket and filter housing and cinch it down using long bolts, nuts and washers. More secure and stable than bungee cords.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
You can fabricate tremporary straps using metal strapping (comes in a roll, is flexible, has holes every inch or so and can be bought in most hardware stores), Run it around the mounting bracket and filter housing and cinch it down using long bolts, nuts and washers. More secure and stable than bungee cords.
Fleetman,
That strap with holes in it is called "Plumbers Tape" just in case you forgot.
Scott
Old 07-26-2018, 11:03 PM   #7

A couple 1” wide ratcheting tie down straps would be a quick and easy way to temporarily gripe the filter housing in its cradle.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would imagine I will have to take the filter out and then remove what is left of the old straps that I know FL didn't take out, install the new straps and reinstall the filter.
Took FL mech 3 hours and cost me almost $500.00 so not really wanting them to redo it for another $500.00 if I can do it myself.

How difficult should it be since they just replaced the filter assembly itself?

Thanks - Richard
Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
I would imagine I will have to take the filter out and then remove what is left of the old straps that I know FL didn't take out, install the new straps and reinstall the filter.
Took FL mech 3 hours and cost me almost $500.00 so not really wanting them to redo it for another $500.00 if I can do it myself.

How difficult should it be since they just replaced the filter assembly itself?

Thanks - Richard
Richard,
I'd have to see photos of your filter in place, from maybe a couple of different angles to see any form of difficulty of removal and replacement to really help judge and or offer true advice on how difficult it should be.

On ours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, if I was in a hurry, I could have my air filter completely out and on the ground in about 2-3 minutes or less. As I recall, I've only got two major stainless steel band clamps that need to be removed or, loosened and, it drops right out.

My exhaust is on the passenger side and dumps out right rear corner (back, not side) of the coach. So, it's not in the way of working on my air cleaner at all.
Scott
Old 07-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott,
Just back from FL and they forgot to order the clamps.

Crawled under vehicle. exhaust runs below filter and rear brackets broke completely off so will need to fix it too.

The straps broke right where hinged. Filter setting in cradle.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Thanks Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter 1.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	212649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter 2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	212650  

Name:	Air Filter 3 clamps.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	212651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter 4.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	212652  

Old 07-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
oops, dropped 2 pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Filter 1.JPG
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	212653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter 2.JPG
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	212654  

Old 07-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #12

Richard
From your pictures it looks like your setup is similar to the one one my Horizon. I supplied a picture that shows a little better how Freightliner created the air filter bracket assembly. It’s basically three pieces, one bracket bolted to the frame, and two cradle/strap assemblies bolted to the bracket...pretty simple. It wouldn’t be very hard to disassemble the brackets and then reassemble with the new parts without disconnecting the filter from the ducting...not the way I would do it but definitely doable. I would remove the filter, unbolt the two cradles replace with new ones and reassemble filter, either way is not very difficult.

It was hard to tell what was up with the exhaust hanger...it does look a little light weight like someone replaced it with one made for an auto. If you replace it make sure it’s a HD truck hanger, Freightliner should have them. Here is a picture of the one one my Horizon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D6497EF6-2D44-42B1-8A08-3E992ED4BA57.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	212679   Click image for larger version

Name:	29A93A84-C051-4F86-BC3E-4D08F1F396F4.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	212680  

JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags