Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
There have been several recent postings exploring what the correct maintenance cycles are for Allison transmissions, especially the 3000MH and 4000MH with TranSyn fluid.

Today I discovered a maintenance cycle tool on the Allison Transmission web site. It clearly supports what some folks have been saying about initial maintenance and then some including shorter and longer cycles dependent on filter type used and sump size. Ironically, it does not match the Allison paper manual that came with the coach at all.

I asked Freightliner Customer Service about the Allison web site and they said (just like they do in the manual) to ignore anything Allison says and go with only what the Freightliner Chassis Manual says for maintenance cycles which is changing fluid and filters every two years. The Allison tool shows the most frequent maintenance cycle for a 3000MH like mine with the 2 inch sump and basic filter is 24 months or 50,000 miles. So in some sense this matches up to at least the time lines Freightliner publishes.

Ironically, I currently have a transmission warranty issue and the local Freightliner Oasis dealer has instructed me to take the coach to the local Allison service center.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #2

There have been several recent postings exploring what the correct maintenance cycles are for Allison transmissions, especially the 3000MH and 4000MH with TranSyn fluid.

Today I discovered a maintenance cycle tool on the Allison Transmission web site. It clearly supports what some folks have been saying about initial maintenance and then some including shorter and longer cycles dependent on filter type used and sump size. Ironically, it does not match the Allison paper manual that came with the coach at all.

I asked Freightliner Customer Service about the Allison web site and they said (just like they do in the manual) to ignore anything Allison says and go with only what the Freightliner Chassis Manual says for maintenance cycles which is changing fluid and filters every two years. The Allison tool shows the most frequent maintenance cycle for a 3000MH like mine with the 2 inch sump and basic filter is 24 months or 50,000 miles. So in some sense this matches up to at least the time lines Freightliner publishes.

Ironically, I currently have a transmission warranty issue and the local Freightliner Oasis dealer has instructed me to take the coach to the local Allison service center.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #3

You're running into just what I've wondered about all these different maintenance scheduales since I bought my coach new 3 years ago. And FL says to ignore Allison scheduales but guess who is handling the warranty, certainly not FL. That's another thing I've enjoyed so much since switching from gas to diesel, no one can tell you what you've got and everyone has a different idea about what you should have. I just found out I have a 2 or 3 micron water/fuel filter when I really should have a 10-30 micron, and this is the way it came from FL. Good luck with your Allison problem.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 04-03-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And FL says to ignore Allison schedules but guess who is handling the warranty, certainly not FL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would follow Allison's maintenance schedule, as they are the warranter.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 AM   #5

vicsryd, was the Allison 4000 a special order on your coach? The brochure shows an Allison 3000 for the 05 34H.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #6

I agree with the post stating that Allison warrants the transmission, not Freightliner. Therefore, I would (and do) follow Allison's recommendations on service intervals.

Allison's website documents the appropriate service intervals.

P.S. Just back from the FMCA rally in Perry, where I attended Allison's seminar on maintenance. They are consitent with their website info (as they should).
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
vicsryd, was the Allison 4000 a special order on your coach? The brochure shows an Allison 3000 for the 05 34H.

Thanks
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My bad. 3 and 4 keys are next to each other. Edited/orignial post to correct.

3000MH and 4000MH have the same warranty/service parameters.