Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone have a BrakeSwitch besides me?

I read about the BrakeSwitch in the FMCA flyer and decided to try it. It ties into the exhaust brake switch, and in the "on" position, it activates the brake switch whenever you hit the brakes. I have had a few instances where I've had to make panic stops and trying to remember to manually turn on the e/b swith, brake and watch the road is a cumbersomne thing to do let alone the few seconds you've lost trying to turn on the e/b switch. So now, my e/b is always "on" but only activated when I hit the brake pedal. It can be turned off also using the original dash switch.

The e/b acts the same as before and will still automatically deactivate below the 8 or 15mph threshold(can't recall which one it is) as it did before. I have really get accustomed to having the e/b help with all my stops and de-cel's. I've come to the point that now when I exit a freeway, I can usually figure out when to hit the brake pedal and let the e/b bring me to the scheduled stop w/o having to use a lot of the service brakes.

I was just curious if anyone else has this item.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Barry, is this the same device? Brakeswitch, A better way to manage your diesel exhaust brake
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

Read their web site and that sounds like the way my EB already works. Has been programmed to do so.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #4

I've had mine for a year now and it works great. No problems with the instillation and would take it with me if I purchase another coach.

Mike
Mtn.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

I've had mine for at least six years with no problems.

Even though my Cat can be reprogrammed to do the same thing, I like the switch better. No trips to the Cat house at $130/hour.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #6

I rarely use my service brakes above 20 mph. I sold my Kenworth with 1 million miles on the odometer with the original brake pads.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I recently installed the "Brakeswitch" on my 2011 DSDP, had it also on my former 05 KSDP. Cheaper then a trip to a dealer to re-program the exhaust or engine brake.
This brings up the question: Why isn't it programed in the Latch mode from the factory? ( FTL or Spartan)?
Siggy D.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use my exhaust brake all the time too, I can manipulate it by keeping a very slight pressure on the throttle or let off all together and touch the brake to activate it but the (brakeswitch) sounds like something additional. Please explain. Thanks in addvance!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
John, I am not familiar with Cummins exhaust brake setup, only CAT's with the PacBrake, but it sounds like yours may be doing the same thing the BrakeSwitch does. Basically, the dash switch is always on and the BrakeSwitch sidesteps it to allow engagement only when brake pedal is pressed. It will release at 15mph(same as before) and a tap to the accelerator will disengage it.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes it does sound like my rig is already set up this way doesn't it. Thanks for the answer doorguy much appreciated!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the BrakeSwitch for 5 years now and love it. It's on 95% of the time. One of the few exceptions is bumper to bumper freeway traffic.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
I installed my brake switch 3 years and it's one of the better mods I have made. Works as advertised.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I appreciate all the replies, just wanted to know if everyone was as happy with it as I am.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Mine arrived today so now just a matter of getting the time to install it. Going to have to figure out those six little wires.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote