Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #1

Anyone installed a Henderson SS 100 Bell Crank

My 2003 Dutch Star with the Freightliner XC chassi wanders. I have tightened up the lash on the steering box which helped but it is still not what I would call great. I was looking on line and Henderson sells a Super Steer SS 100 Bell crank for the Freightliner XC, I was wonderiing if anyone has installed one of these and what improvements they got. Thanks for any replys. Bill Young

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Hey Bill. Yep, I had one installed when my coach was only 6 months old. I wish I could attribute some great improvement to the switch but I changed a lot of variables all at once so... although i did see a great improvement in handling I can't say if it was because of the bellcrank, the Motion Control Units, the steering gear adjustment or the Safe T Steer.

When holding the OEM bellcrank and SS side by side and just looking at them and working (or trying to) the mechanisms of each it seemed to be a no brainer to me. It was impossible to even rotate the OEM unit by hand while the SS units ball bearings gave the feel of a serious piece of equipment.

Good Luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I had Henderson Line-Up install their bell crank on my Freightliner chassis. It made a big difference in the steering control and feel, much tighter.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Brazels install a Super Steer bell crank on my rig. Made a tremendous improvement. That and the Safety Plus steering control and it goes where I point it with no wander. Probably the four Koni FSD's didn't hurt either.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I thought that my XC should not need this part as I only had 34K miles on it. I got under the coach and had the DW work the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off and there was a lot of noticeable side to side play in the OEM part. I was going on a 1200 mile round trip campout in a few days so I ordered the SS100 in time to change it out before the trip as I was not going to sit for 600 miles at a time dealing with that constant adjusting of the wheel.

I bought the SS100 and installed it in about 1/2 hour. Big difference in the amount of play in the steering gear. I still have play in the actual box that I must get to ASAP. Then it will be as new.

FYI if you do it yourself you will need a big wrench for the nut on the shaft. I used a double ended tow ball wrench from Harbor Freight as it was the right size.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
bell crank

hey guys ,have been having wandering on my 1999 coachmen sport coach 38' dp with 20,000 miles checked under front and all looks good but seems to loose in the hands when running on interstates. THAT LEFT TO RIGHT steering instead of driving. Leaving for a 5000 mile round trip in feb. and want to try and get this resoled if possible any suggestion would be appreciated this is my first rig so bear with me thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
You will have to get under the front and have someone work the steering wheel back and forth as you check for play in the bell crank and the steering gear sector shaft. You can do this with the engine off.

You will not have any play in the king pins or the tie rod ends. But the bell crank will probably be wobbly as well as the sector shaft.

I changed out my wobbly bell crank with the henderson ss and am going to tackle the steering box soon. The henderson unit made a big difference.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I put the SS100 on my 2006 XC with my sons. Took less than an hour.

But take Vintage's advice and buy a big wrench to get the nut off. Also a sledge hammer to knock it loose. The job was a great excuse to get a Craftsman 3/4" drive socket set and rachet!
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #9

I also replaced the bell crank on my 2004 Journey with one from Henderson's. The trailer ball hitch wrench is also available in Wal-Mart's if you don't have a harbor freight handy. As mentioned above not a long or hard project but it does take effort to get the "arm" off the crank. I used a tie rod separator bar to break it loose.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #10

I replaced the bell crank. It helped. Still room for improvement Hard part was getting main bolt loose. Should have used long breaker bar. It help to remove the front tire to get better access. My 1/2 drive impact was challanged removing the tire lug nuts. Next step for me is adjusting the steering box.

Good luck
Doug
Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Bill Young,
Yes. Our MH has the Freightliner XC chassis, a 2008 Damon Astoria. The MH pulled to the right and wandered along all the ruts and groves. At about 12K miles we took it to Henderson’s in Grants Pass OR. They install their bell crank and the Safe – T – Steer. We then took a 17K mile trip to Alaska (this summer 2010) and toured Canada and mid America. The MH is so easy now. From Henderson’s to today the MH tracks true and is so easy to drive that my wife even enjoys driving it at times. I’m sold on the Bell crank and SafeTSteer.
Steve of Gilroy
2008 Damon Astoria
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the SS Bell Crank installed in 3/'08 at the rally in Perry, GA. Big, Big difference. Since then I've driven the coach instead of wrestling with it. I'm not worn out with sore arms at the end of the driving day.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2005 excursion MH that pulled to the right since I bought it new. The dealer gave me fits and convinced me that this was normal. I bought it until this winter on a trip to Fresno, CA I talked to a friend in the trucking business who said no way. I took it to CHICKS FRAME in Fresno and they said that the toein was toed out and reset it to toed in 1/16" and set up the tire pressure to 112 lbs. Cold in the front (he saw under inflation also). I had set at 97 lbs. Voilą problem solved. Coach now so smooth that my wife complains that she doesn't drive. For that pull check that toein.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
hey guy's the aligment might be a start as i just put new 255/80/22.5 mich, on the front anyone know what the toe in should be on 1999 coachman sportcoach 38' dp frieghtliner thanks