RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #1

Auto Idle System Voltage Warning

Recently I have gotten a Warning for Auto Idle System Voltage every time I turn the key in the start processs. It shows: ! Warning - Auto Idle Sys Voltage (current systems voltage)and a threshold of 13.4V.

I have a 2007 Winnebago Journey on the XC Chassis. In the 2+ years I've owned this coach, I have occasionally had this warning pop up, but it quickly went away on it's own. Now, the only way I can get it to go away is to turn on the Headlights (drawing voltage from the system, I assume.)

My coach is garaged and plugged in when not in use. At first I thought that maybe the "high" system voltage shown (usually 13.8V) was from the constant charge on the batteries, so I unplugged it for a week in the cold weather (temps in the teens) then tried the start process again. The warning came up again, but this time the current system voltage was showing as 12.5 volts, so it was under the threshold of 13.4V.

One more tidbit...except for my air pressure gauges, none of my dash gauges are functioning until the Warning is cleared. The EMC digital readings, however, work fine.

I've scoured through my chassis manual and while it mentions the warning, it really doesn't give me any information about specific causes or actions I should take.

Suggestions on what I should be checking?

NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

No intelligent suggestions seem to be coming, so I'll make an uninformed suggestion.
There must be a voltage sensing relay somewhere that is used to send the 'incorrect' voltage warning to the system. I would start by calling Freightliner and asking them to send you out a wiring diagram. In addition, the person on the phone might be able to give you a neighborhood to start looking. It may be that the sensing device is faulty, and it also may be that there is a loose or corroded ground connection somewhere that is affecting what the sensor sees.
It's not much but maybe you can get some traction towards a solution. Best of Luck in finding the fix.

Old Today, 10:31 AM   #3

Dark Sky: Thanks for the suggestion. My next step is indeed to give Freightliner a call. I had another issue once that the local Freightliner shop could not find and I had an instant answer from the help desk at FCCC RV that had me fixing the issue myself in about 20 minutes (removing and reinstalling the dash panel was most of that time) and for only about $75 for replacement LIN lines with bad connectors. I wish I would have called them before I spent 10X that amount with the shop for something they never did diagnose...and it was a commonly known issue with a TSB!

This must not be a common problem due to the lack of response here, so when I do get an answer and confirmed fix, I'll post it here for future owners.
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #4

All I can say about Freighliner's help desk and being responsive is WOW! I sent them an email and had this response in 10 minutes..and it's Sunday!

This warning can come up when the temperatures are low. What happens is the intake heaters come on and they draw a high amperage and will bring the voltage below 13.4 and will trigger the warning. You may want to have your batteries load tested to make sure they are not going bad. Also you can get the warning to go away by pressing the service brake.

Sincerely,

Justin Pope
FCCC Representative

While I have not validated it yet, it's interesting that my son-in-law, who manages a trucking company's shop, and is also a diesel and certified trailer mechanic, first suggested to me that he thought I probably had a battery with one or more bad cells causing the system to throw more voltage in as compensation. Looks like he was on the right track.

I would imagine this is happening now because of our cold weather in Minnesota at this time of year compounded by a weak starting battery.