Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #1

Battery Disconnect switch use

When should I use the rotary chassis battery disconnect switch ? Sometimes I have the coach parked in storage for a month or more and was wondering if there is a recommended interval when it should be used to prevent the chassis battery for draining due to parasitic loads. I assume some info is kept in volatile memory that is lost when the switch is used to disconnect the battery... what would that be ? Thanks
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi there, do you keep it plugged in? if so, I do not ever turn mine off or use them only when servicing the batteries(disconnecting them) and if no shore power, you would have to use them as they will get drained more than likely, as far as the important things, ECM, TCM modules, they stayed powered up all the time even when the disconnect switches are used. The only way to remove power from them is to disconnect the batteries.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #3

No, I do not have power where I store it. When I went down yesterday to do some work, I had to start it to move it to get access to the bays and while it fired up fine, the light bar panel flashed up a Low Battery warning, which got me to thinking that maybe disconnecting the battery would be better
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Well....... Do you have 12 VDC disconnect? If so turn it off when you leave..........
Old 01-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I turn mine off when I drop it off for service of if boondocking and going out for the day. A week or more of storage would also fit into this method.
So now you know how long it takes for your batteries to read 'low' based on this last visit. I would use one half of that time as a minimum for use of the disconnect (assuming fully charged at the start). Or just always disconnect when not in use.
Interesting: when I got the MH 4+ years ago the house batteries were low after 4 days. I used the disconnect switch to verify the batteries were good (held a charge) and troubleshoot the parasitic drag to the gas/elec refrig, then figured out how to shut off power to the frig control board - now I'm good for a month. So the disconnect switch is also good for troubleshooting.
Note: some refrigs tap in prior to the battery disconnect switch.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I turn my coach batteries off everytime I park it when I'm not using it. I don't see the purpose in leaving it on.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
HHg

I always turn both of my disconnects off anytime I'm not using the RV.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

Battery disconnect

My Z39 Bounder is running the chassis battery's while stored with the master off. When I take the neg. terminal off the battery post I read a 5 amp draw, something is not shutting off!
Bounder M20E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #9

I turn the rotary switch every time it is being stored for more than a couple days and I can't plug it in. My new storage spot has 110, so I've got to get a 50 to 30 and 30 to 20 adapter and try that route. Although I'm a little nervous about leaving something on that draws too much power. I guess if I shut off the inverter there isn't too much that can run.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTuscany View Post
My new storage spot has 110, so I've got to get a 50 to 30 and 30 to 20 adapter and try that route.
If you want to totally bypass the extra 30-20 adapter (the more connections, the more places for heat), here you go:

110 Volt Electrical Adapter for sale - PPL Motor Homes

I carry two of these for emergencies.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder M20E View Post
My Z39 Bounder is running the chassis battery's while stored with the master off. When I take the neg. terminal off the battery post I read a 5 amp draw, something is not shutting off!
You might want to start a new post to get suggestions for your particular issue. That's a big load !!

Tags
battery, battery disconnect