Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #1

Believe it or not? ECM Update

I took my coach in for the Freightliner FL704-A pedal recall and at the same time had the Cummins C1737- ECM Calibration Campaign completed.

When I went to collect the coach the VIP Smartwheel did not work and the Dash gauges no longer did their sweep when ignition was turned on.

The dealer first replaced the Smartwheel Control module - which then allowed the Smartwheel to function again. They then replaced the "Driver Control Module" - no change to the Dash Gauge Sweep - It still did NOT sweep when ignition was turned on.

Dealer called Freightliner and was told the ECM update changed the ignition on process and the sweep would no longer occur. The gauges work normally after starting the engine.

I also called Freightliner and got the same story.

Has anyone else had the ECM Campaign done and noticed the same issue - Should I believe Dealer / Freightliner or do they just want me to go away.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
bmfickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
In some autos that have the needle sweep upon power-up, you can have the program changed to cancel the sweep. I always thought it did that to calibrate the needles on zero, but I've come to find out it's not needed in many cases. If you've been told it's O.K. without the sweep, I'd accept that and just watch that the gauges continue to be accurate.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Let's get this straight. You had this done.
"Cummins C1737- ECM Calibration Campaign completed"
What did Cummins say about this? As this sounds like a Cummins issue (Engine Controller) and not a Freightliner MMDC module. So I would verify via Cummins what this is all about. Next just because the ECM (Cummins) is updated the output data stream will not. That is because of the specifications which controls the programming of the ECM.

I would then question how or why your Freightliner control module failed, when the ECM does not control anything on the Freightliner chassis. All the ECM is pass along data that the Freightliner module request.

Think of it this way. There is alot of information out there, but you only want certain info. You first send a request. The ECM sees your request and tells the Freightliner module, I am ready to receive your request. When he ECM receives the request, it will then send it to the Freightliner module (MMDC). It is the MMDC job to process this request and sends it to the gauges, or the LBCU dash information. It is the same way with the ScandGauge D and SilverLeif software. Does this help ?
Another option is this. They are processing the digital information from the ECM, then converting that information into an analog signal (which by the way what the gauges and lamps used). So, the ECM is not being changed it is the MMDC which (Freightliner Module) is being change. This might because when Freightliner originally program the MMDC, they made programming errors and this is fixing it. This is a Freightliner Issue and not a Cummins issue. So Freightliner is libel for what they did.
However, this fixed should have been thoroughly tested BEFORE updating the software. THIS IS A DOT REQUIREMENT.
Remind them, or ask them, don't they comply with DOT regulations?
Remember the Toyota software question?
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

I've got a 2015 Freightliner and it never did the needle sweep on powerup.
I understand the 'sweeping needle' feature was a gimick from vehicle manufacturers.
LittleBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Perhaps part gimmick, "It looks cool." But also a self-test of gauge function.
Display of electronic self-test results using gauge dial pointers - Navistar International Transportation Corp.

On some Chrysler products, if you hold the trip odometer reset button for 5 seconds when starting, it starts/stops the gauge needle sweep. Also works on Scions. Check in your manual to see if your vehicle has such self programming.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
As explained, the sweep, just like the lamps coming on, is a self check. This also tells the operator that everything is ok.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #7

GatorCQ thanks for that feedback - That is how I sort of understood it too e.g. The ECM dumps data onto the CAN bus, the ABS does similar and then the Freightliner LBCU / Dash Gauges read what they want for display purposes - Similar to the way that VMSpc pulls data off the CAN bus via the J1939 Socket.

That said - Yes it was the ECM Calibration Campaign C1737 that I had done.

What does Cummins say... I left a voice mail at 1-800-Diesels (Cummins Customer Care) and also sent them an e-mail - No response from either.

What does Freightliner say... I spoke to them and they were not sure why ECM would do that but went on to say that if gauges worked while driving why was I worried... I then sent an e-mail to them just to get a response in writing - Still waiting.

One further follow up - Went back to pick up the coach yesterday and the Smartwheel was dead again (As was the Chassis Battery - They had to jump start it). Left it there and got a call this morning saying there was a problem with the clockspring. Question I left them pondering was how could the clockspring have killed the battery in one day. In the prior 2 years never had a problem with the Chassis batteries.

Thanks for the feedback / guidance. I still believe something happened to mess with the Gauge sweep as well - hoping either Cummins or Freightliner will respond soon.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
By the way, I called Cummins, and inquired about an ISL 425Hp, which we are upgrading to. Waited 15 minutes tto get thru. Asked about recall and upgrades to ECM. Nothing required to asked about this ECM.
I have also register for the " https://quickserve.cummins.com " free side. Wonderful information available to us Rver's, but it does take time to go thru and learn where everything is.

dale
Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

Thanks again Gatorcq - I received an e-mail from FCCC yesterday indicating that the "No Sweep" was correct. Still nothing from Cummins... hmmm

I also registered on the Cummins Site - still also finding my way around it - interestingly cannot find any detail about the recalibration update however.

As a followup I picked up my coach yesterday to drive home.. All appeared good until I stopped for fuel. On restart Smartwheel inoperative again. Got home turned ignition off and on and it worked... I am guessing there is a bad connection somewhere and when the FL704A recall was done (The brake pedal torsion spring) they must have disturbed some of the mess of the wiring harnesses under the dash. Now it will be trial and error to find if not repeatable on demand.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

By the way here is a snippet of the e-mail from FCC

FW: Recall FL704*A [TrackingID*000461684]

ec_164_fccc*service*forward@daimler.com <ec_164_fccc*service*forward@daimler.com>Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 5:42 AM Reply*To: ec_164_fccc*service*forward@daimler.com
To: Redact
Dear Customer,
Yes, this is correct. The gauges should not sweep during start*up.
Sincerely,
John Michaels Sr
FCCC Representative
[DTNA Call Center Email]
[Queue*FCCC_OTHER_EMAIL]
[Tracking Number*000461684]

Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:14 AM
To: DTNA*War*Campaigns (164*NPM) <dtna*war*campaigns@daimler.com>
Subject: Recall FL704*A
VIN Redact Owner Redact
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX Freightliner XC*R Chassis
Cummins ISL9 8.9L 450HP, Allison 3000MH 6*Speed
I took the coach in to Redact for the Freightliner
FL704*A pedal recall and at the same time had the Cummins C1737* ECM Calibration Campaign completed.
When I went to collect the coach the VIP Smartwheel did not work and the
Dash gauges no longer did their sweep when ignition was turned on.
The dealer reported having to remove the pedal assembly to install the torsion spring for the recall.
The dealer first replaced the Smartwheel Control module * which then allowed the Smartwheel to function again. They then replaced the "Driver Control Module" * no change to the Dash Gauge Sweep * It still did NOT sweep when ignition was turned on.
Dealer has told me the ECM update changed the ignition on process and the sweep
would no longer occur because the ECM update has changed the ignition on process. The gauges work normally after starting the engine.
Can you please confirm this is correct please?
Thanks
Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery 40E

Not home much, so I emailed Freightliner about upgrades, and recalls. NONE.
Did the same with Cummins. They said there are 2. Got to work these into our trip schedules between WI and CA. ONLY at Cummins.
Ask about yours. Send Engine #. Cummins quick serve/contact. Response was < 1 hour.

Tags
ecm