RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #1

belts on a 1998 fleetwood discovery w/5.9

anyone know what the belt number is for the 5.9 cummins it has two belts short one on the a/c unit and a longer one on the drive system.

nosgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cummins Customer Support shud be able to tell the correct P/N for the belts, including any upgrades. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #3

well i called cummins support and they directed me to the local cummins dealer to have them look at it ...still no help.. i want to change the belt my self but cant find a # on the belt..i hate to take it off cause its a pain in the rear until i get the new belt..it has two belts ...one runs the A/C compressor and the other is a serpentine belt. the lady was not helpful at all said there were several different belts for the cummins motor..i guess so but heck ...guess i will have to take it off and see if i can find one..
Old 05-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #4

If you have the last 5 digits of the VIN, you can call local Chasis parts/service area and they can give you the part numbers. That is how it works with Freightliner.
gjgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:54 PM   #5

The Freightliner free help line may have what you're looking for .
Have your serial number handy when you call .
1-800-FTL-HELP

There have been posts about the A/C belt being too short to be taken off over the rear rad fan blades on Cummins engines of your vintage.
If yours the 24 valve version of the 5.9 engine with rear rad ?
It appears the adjustment mechanism was installed upside down on some engines and that limited the adjustment length of travel .
Reversing the adjuster allows for a longer belt and it fits over the fan. 42.5" if memory serves.
I have pictures and diagrams of the adjuster. I'll track your post and add them if you need them.

EDIT: Here is a link to the info that was posted about the adjuster.

A/C belt tensioner on 5.9 ISB
Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #6

thanks guys i will give that a try
Old 05-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The Freightliner free help line may have what you're looking for .
Have your serial number handy when you call .
1-800-FTL-HELP

There have been posts about the A/C belt being too short to be taken off over the rear rad fan blades on Cummins engines of your vintage.
If yours the 24 valve version of the 5.9 engine with rear rad ?
It appears the adjustment mechanism was installed upside down on some engines and that limited the adjustment length of travel .
Reversing the adjuster allows for a longer belt and it fits over the fan. 42.5" if memory serves.
I have pictures and diagrams of the adjuster. I'll track your post and add them if you need them.

EDIT: Here is a link to the info that was posted about the adjuster.

A/C belt tensioner on 5.9 ISB

thanks that link say a lot as we were not able to get the A/C belt off either back working on it this afternoon. the A/C belt is not a big deal rite now as the dash A/C dosnt work (leak) but down the road i will be getting it fixed and will need the belt info.

thanks again way more help the the #"s i have called so far.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosgsxr View Post
thanks that link say a lot as we were not able to get the A/C belt off either back working on it this afternoon. the A/C belt is not a big deal rite now as the dash A/C dosnt work (leak) but down the road i will be getting it fixed and will need the belt info.

thanks again way more help the the #"s i have called so far.
If you can get the belts off, an auto parts, or truck store have a device they can measure the belt you have. Then find that new belt, and see if its for a cummins engine.
(It could have worn/stretched a little.)
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had my 2000 Bounder with the 5.9 ISB I had to replace the serpentine.
It was a bear to remove the A/C belt....tensioner needed to be reversed but I didn't do that.
I was able to loosen tensioner just enough to 'roll' the belt off and then I could replace the serpentine.

I tried 3 belts...2 from Cummins (didn't fit) and this one from NAPA. It was still a very tight fit.

FYI I ended up using a NAPA 080694 which still was tight to install but was a 70". The Cummins Quickserv database for the 5.9 shows pn3289257 which is a 69.5" long belt.

Good luck.
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #10

thank guys i was able to get a belt from the local parts store after three trips we got the perfect fit..it was a Gates K080575..i cut the A/C belt off so if the compressor locked up for some reason it wouldn't cause a problem thats on the to do list

Tags
cover, discovery, fleetwood