Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Beware, Lubbock, Tx Freightliner

I have a oil pan seep on our 09 Tour, nothing serious, and about a 10 minute item to take care of. We made an appointment with Lubbock Truck Sales, the local Freightliner dealer, for 9:30am. We are three hours away. We arrived at 9:15am only to be told that they do not take appointments. I asked how long it would be to get the service. They said 30 to 45 minutes, which was acceptable. After an hour, checked back with service and was told 30 to 45 minutes. after another hour I checked back with service and was told they did not know how long it would be. At that point we left and went to the dealer we bought he coach from as we had some minor warranty items that needed to be taken care of. I also noticed, at Freightliner, that the hourly rate for RV service was $110.00/hr and for trucks it was $90.00/hr. I do not consider this dealer to be RV friendly as noted by the Freightliner Guide. I would reccomend avoiding if at all possible.
newk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Many Freightliner Oasis dealers are like that. The appointment merely puts you in line for service when they get to you - no guarantee it will be right away. For that matter, many RV dealers handle their service in the same fashion.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #3

I've had similiar results at the Freightliner Oasis dealers in Fort Worth and in Dallas. One substantially overcharged me, the other did an incomplete repair, according to Gaffney service. Will only go back if absolutely necessary. Normal maintenance shouldn't be this difficult. Freightliner dealers are not qualified to handle MH maintenance and don't realy want too. Freightliner corporate doesn't seem to care. We,MH's, interfere with normal truck maintenance.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you read the forums, you will find some with good experiences at Oasis dealers. Like Fly Fish, I had a couple of bad experiences at the Ft. Worth Oasis dealer and would only go back there in a dire emergency. They were very clear with me - they were doing me a big favor by working on our MH and I could darn well not ask questions or expect them to fix stuff on the first try. I haven't seen that kind of arrogance in a long time. The dealer and I paid them nearly $1,000 to fix the speedometer and I ended up fixing it myself. They weren't even in the right area.

Have little expectation of good service at Freightliner (other than Gaffney - they're great) and you won't be disappointed.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I would suggest that those who have had bad or good service post on the RV service revviews website. rvservicereviews.com
Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
My experience with Lubbock Truck Sales (Freightliner - Lubbock, TX) is to take the vehicle there with a list, leave it for a week and then go back and get it. I only use them for "dealer" type work. The rest of the chassis/engine service goes to McWhorter Truck Shop on Clovis Highway in Lubbock. McWhorter charges $100 an hour for Motorhomes, but I think they are more thorough than Freightliner. At least that is my experience. Do not beleive that Lubbock Truck Sales is an Oasis dealer.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #7

That has been my limited experience with the Freightliner shop in Wichita, Kansas. My first time the appointment (?) was for 9:00 AM since I have 90 miles to drive to get there. It was about 1:00 before they even got the coach into the shop and 4:00 before they started on it and finished about 7:30 PM. Then the 90 miles trip home after sitting in the shop all day, what a tiring day.

The next time I thought an earlier appointment would work better so made it for 7:15 and stayed the night before in a campground about 4 miles from the shop. Ha. It was 11:30 when the coach was run in the shop and 1:30 when they started work on it.

Finally realized what has been said, an appointment at Freightliner just gives you the opportunity to get in line. I'll avoid FL dealers whenever possible, and that's really a shame since the one in Wichita is easy to get to and 4-lane Interstate all the way there. And it seems the word Oasis just means they can put a sign up on the wall, it certainly doesn't mean they are RV friendly.

Wagonmaster2
Old 07-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #8

I disagree with you gents...

My experience with Freightliner at the Chandler, AZ and Los Angeles locations is completely opposite of yours. In the case of the Chandler location I was returning from Colorado for R&R before the next show in California. At about the Four Corners area the right front started bottoming. It sounded like it might be doing damage to the suspension.

I pulled into the Chandler location without making an appointment and within about 3 hours they had it on the rack making repairs. Not only did they fix the problem correctly the first time, they identified another issue and went ahead and fixed it too. I picked it up the next Morning and was on my way.

Then about two weeks ago I was on I-10 West at Beaumont, CA when the coolant recovery tank split and dumped its contents on the engine and my toad. After making a temporary patch with JB Weld, we drove slowly to Freightliner Los Angeles in Fontana. It took a few hours for them to get a technician on it, but by that evening we were on our way. Luckily, the recovery tank is made by Freightliner and the LA location had several in stock. I guess if we had gone to a dealer instead we would have had a one-or-two day wait for parts to arrive from Freightliner.

Not only did they steam clean the engine, they washed the coolant off the toad so it wouldn't ruin the paint. Nice guys and without them we would have missed the first day of the show in Ventura.

By comparison, I got an oil change at Camping World in Mesa, AZ and they overfilled the crankcase because the technician couldn't read the level on the dipstick.

My experience with dealers is they don't have the parts in stock and are way understaffed. If you don't mind leaving the coach for a few days the dealers do a good job, however, if you are on the road facing deadlines, time is money and Cummins and Freightliner get the job done.

Incidentally, the LA Freightliner charged my repair out at the truck rate instead of the RV rate. Maybe it was because I handed them the keys and then got out of their way. I didn't check with them repeatedly on the status of the repair and basically hung out with the truckers. I think some RVers expect special treatment compared to the truckers getting repairs. In this case I can see FL charging a nuisance fee.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #9

My experience with Lubbock Truck Sales has been great! When I first started getting service there I sat down with Joe Craddick , the service manager, to get my coach set up in their computer and to ask some questions about maintenance schedules. I bet I spent 30 minutes or more talking to him. They do not take appointments but I always call and ask how their schedule looks and get there early. I have never had to wait all that long. I also get great service from McWhorters Truck Center in Lubbock too. The service Manager there is a great guy by the name of Clint. He worked on my old 95 Airstream which I kept in like new condition and now does wheel and tire work on my Journey. My advice is to take the time to get to know the people that service your coach and treat them right. It comes back to you when you need them.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #10

I'm not sure of the terminology, but I believe Freightliner classifies their repairs as either 'out of service' or not. In my experience when you show up with a routine problem they put you behind the "out of service' vehicles. When I've shown up with an out of service condition I feel I get reasonable service.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #11

I have had excellent experiences with FL Elpaso for drive up routine stuff(oil change, lube etc.) In at ten and out no later than early afternoon. Good work, friendly and a Walmart nearby.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have found the Oasis dealer in Avondale, Az to be great but the one in Sacramento to be pretty marginal. I've used them both more than once.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #13

I had an experience with the Avondale Oasis dealer a few years ago where they flat out lied to me about some service intervals and did not do certain required items on an IM service. Needless to say, I haven't been back and will not be back there for any reason. Let the buyer beware.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
I to had a terrible experiance with FL of Orlando FLA. What a nasty place, not only did they not know how to service my coach, they tried to rip me off on the bill. TG I know what I'm doing or they would have really gouged me. Unless I was broke down on the road I would not consider them for service. That is so hard to imagine for an Oasis service center in the middle of the Florida RV region. Shame on FL for allowing their Oasis system to operate like this.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote