Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #1

Since most Winnies are on Freightliner chassis I thought I would post this on this forum.It can be moved if anyone chooses to do so.

It was a very informative two days. Everything was covered from the steering wheel to the stern and all the components. Its a fine line between the Body Builders and the Chassis Manufacturer., When warranty comes up Freightliner talks in terms of its mine or the Body Builders. If a Body Builders switch causes xyz to go bad it isn't Freightliners problem. If it is there's they will stand behind it 100%.
The first thing anyone should do when they have a issue is to call Freightliner Customer Service let them start a ticket on the problem with a referance # so that they could call a Freightliner Dealer of your choice and tell them that you have a xyz problem here's the referance # and Mr. John Doe will be contacting you. In other words let Freightliner help solve your Problem. This is their words and I don't mean to open a topic on good or evil of Freightliner and that is not the intent of this thread.
The other thing that stood out, among a 100 others, is that we are responsible for the servicing of our coach. Make a copy of the recommended service, Freightliner/Engine Manufactuer, check the things that YOU want done, and have someone inital the pages that all work was performed. Not having xyz filter or service performed is our fault and it is not the responsibility of the service center to tell you what should be done. Only if you ask if it should be done and or request it to be done will it happen. Its not the way of the old school, but it is the way of today.

So read your instruction manuals, know what needs to be done like pulling the lanyards on the air tanks, on most Diesel Winnies there are three. And when you take it to a Freightliner dealer know and tell them what needs to happen.

Also, for a price, Freightliner offers extended Warranties on the chassis, batteries , axls etc. I didn't know this and if this interests you it needs to be extended before the original warranty expires. Lots of other things were talked about, but these are the things that stand out and impressed me the most...

Please use this information, if it could apply to you, in a postive manner. Good Miles,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #2

Since most Winnies are on Freightliner chassis I thought I would post this on this forum.It can be moved if anyone chooses to do so.

It was a very informative two days. Everything was covered from the steering wheel to the stern and all the components. Its a fine line between the Body Builders and the Chassis Manufacturer., When warranty comes up Freightliner talks in terms of its mine or the Body Builders. If a Body Builders switch causes xyz to go bad it isn't Freightliners problem. If it is there's they will stand behind it 100%.
The first thing anyone should do when they have a issue is to call Freightliner Customer Service let them start a ticket on the problem with a referance # so that they could call a Freightliner Dealer of your choice and tell them that you have a xyz problem here's the referance # and Mr. John Doe will be contacting you. In other words let Freightliner help solve your Problem. This is their words and I don't mean to open a topic on good or evil of Freightliner and that is not the intent of this thread.
The other thing that stood out, among a 100 others, is that we are responsible for the servicing of our coach. Make a copy of the recommended service, Freightliner/Engine Manufactuer, check the things that YOU want done, and have someone inital the pages that all work was performed. Not having xyz filter or service performed is our fault and it is not the responsibility of the service center to tell you what should be done. Only if you ask if it should be done and or request it to be done will it happen. Its not the way of the old school, but it is the way of today.

So read your instruction manuals, know what needs to be done like pulling the lanyards on the air tanks, on most Diesel Winnies there are three. And when you take it to a Freightliner dealer know and tell them what needs to happen.

Also, for a price, Freightliner offers extended Warranties on the chassis, batteries , axls etc. I didn't know this and if this interests you it needs to be extended before the original warranty expires. Lots of other things were talked about, but these are the things that stand out and impressed me the most...

Please use this information, if it could apply to you, in a postive manner. Good Miles,
Old 05-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Jim,
Glad you guys had a safe trip to Gaffney, THANKS for the findings of your visit....

I moved this over to the Freightliner Chassis Forum as there are indeed many other manufacturers that use the chassis....

Proper chassis maintenance has always been an important concern of the coach owner,now you remind us all of the need for proper record keeping as well.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've thought about that school. Would you say that it was helpful in understanding the FL chassis? What kinds of information did you get that you didn't have going into the class?

I'm sure that there are good FL service places but I just don't have any around me. From my telephone conversations with the FCC techs (I do call for guidance when I have questions) my problems with the local FL service don't sound unique to me.

I was a computer tech. and have the unmost respect for other techs in other fields. I always approach service in the same way that I would want to be approached. Sad to say that some of the shops don't seem to believe in good customer service and start treating you like dirt the minute that you walk in the door, regardless of how you approach them. At least that is my experience.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:57 AM   #5

Yes very helpful.
The class itself was very informal and while we had a book to go by the instructor would discuss
whatever was of interest to a particular person.

The classes are held to only ten people and it makes for a casual atmosphere.

Most FL dealers are truck people and some don't want to be bothered with MOHO's , this doesn't help when we have a problem but they are trying to make their dealers much more aware of the MOHO market...JIM
Old 05-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #6

<<<<< So read your instruction manuals, know what needs to be done like pulling the lanyards on the air tanks, on most Diesel Winnies there are three. >>>>>>

OK, I have read the manuals and know that we are supposed to pull the lanyards on the air tanks, but what the manual doesn't say is where the tanks are located on the coach. I have a 2006 Journey 36G and could not find them today? I know they must be there, but where?
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Clayton,

The lanyardss are something I can help you with.

If you take a look over the top of the passengers side front tire, you'll see the air tank Lanyards. They are wire cables with loops on the end that protrude through the frame rail right by the right front wheel. If you can't see them right away, try turning your front wheels full right and looking at the frame rail.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #8

Thanks a lot for the response, I will look for them there. I'm sure that they were not pulled prior to my purchasing the RV a couple of months ago. I looked all over the place for them, but not behind the front tire.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #9

We're signed up for "camp" in August. We'll go from GNR down to Gaffney. Also signed up for some service stuff. Should be an interesting time for the hubby. I'll probably sit under a tree in a chair and read
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:45 AM   #10

Some folks use the awning rod to reach in and pull the lanyard. Good Miles Jim
Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Was the new service center open yet?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #12

Gary, they said it will be open the week after the 4th of July for sure. ?. Susposed to be very nice. Jim